Team BKool CycleChat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Rule 5 and 20 seen and understood but there's a slight problem with me and the DD. It's called weight. I have too much of it at the moment and I doubt, no know, I'll not shift sufficient lard to do the DD or myself justice.

I am still going in the right direction but not fast enough. I am almost at one target weight, should be this week. Then the next will be set with a view to get it done by the end of May.
I'm 50 pounds above high normal and hills are work but they can be done. Think about signing up just for the extra motivation

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw
I'm 50 pounds above high normal and hills are work but they can be done. Think about signing up just for the extra motivation
Unfortunately I did that last year and it all went wrong. I had a bad start to the year with illness that I could not shake, took almost 3 months to clear my lungs. So I ended up not losing the weight I needed to, I was lighter but nowhere near where I needed to be. I then got caught out and ended up not being able to go the weekend of the ride. It sort of kicked me while I was down and I didn't really recover motivation.

I've had a better start to the year this time and getting back to the bike today felt really good :unsure:. I'll continue to work on my weight and hope to be nearer the 100kg mark than I am at the moment (still not below 125, almost, but not quite). I am hoping to be close by Christmas and maybe break through to double figures early next year.

That's the goal. <100kg. I haven't been that weight for 20+ years. Once there I'll be looking at what's needed for the next step.

AAAC 76C

Large Member
Unfortunately I did that last year and it all went wrong. I had a bad start to the year with illness that I could not shake, took almost 3 months to clear my lungs. So I ended up not losing the weight I needed to, I was lighter but nowhere near where I needed to be. I then got caught out and ended up not being able to go the weekend of the ride. It sort of kicked me while I was down and I didn't really recover motivation.

I've had a better start to the year this time and getting back to the bike today felt really good :unsure:. I'll continue to work on my weight and hope to be nearer the 100kg mark than I am at the moment (still not below 125, almost, but not quite). I am hoping to be close by Christmas and maybe break through to double figures early next year.

That's the goal. <100kg. I haven't been that weight for 20+ years. Once there I'll be looking at what's needed for the next step.

There are only a few times that I would have liked to have been 100 kg plus.
One when I played Rugby at Army College at 16 against 18/19 year olds and another was when that American Marine threw me across the bar in Germany.
Schweinfurt I seem to remember @Daddy Pig .
The former would have enabled me to keep going in the same direction and the latter may have stopped me moving.
Else wise I feel gifted with being a natural featherweight but applaud all of you guys who have to fight your weight.
I wish you a the best in your quest and if I could gift you some of my matabolism I would gladly do so.

Last edited:

CXRAndy

Guru
Rule 5 and 20 seen and understood but there's a slight problem with me and the DD. It's called weight. I have too much of it at the moment and I doubt, no know, I'll not shift sufficient lard to do the DD or myself justice.

I am still going in the right direction but not fast enough. I am almost at one target weight, should be this week. Then the next will be set with a view to get it done by the end of May.

With the right gearing, anyone can get up any hill as long as they're aerobically fit. I rode up some hills nearly 20% yesterday and was spinning at 75rpm seated with my gearing. But we know, quite a few of us, the DD is a very tough sportive, ranked highly in the country for difficulty. A target Boxers maybe for next year

berty bassett

Legendary Member
TB - if you fancy a sportive this year , how about if you browse for one you fancy ( i think they are listed on british cycling ) and dangle a carrot to see how many of us bite ?i am sure we don't need much excuse to meet up !i think one of the sites gives them a hardness rating , like Andy said the dd is a bit relentless and we were lucky we had the weather - doing that on a wet and windy day would be classed as extreme and i for 1 would have bailed

bobinski

Legendary Member

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
I loved my single speed when I lived in London (until some scrote nicked it! ) and thinking of getting another. Had an inexpensive charge plug with 42/16 gearing and a joy to ride. If I got another, would it be totally bonkers to ride this at the DD this year. Hills will be hard but fun. Downs easy to coast. Flats Spinny but easy enough so long as others don't push too fast. I do like a challenge but maybe a challenge too far?!?

Del C

Veteran
I loved my single speed when I lived in London (until some scrote nicked it! ) and thinking of getting another. Had an inexpensive charge plug with 42/16 gearing and a joy to ride. If I got another, would it be totally bonkers to ride this at the DD this year. Hills will be hard but fun. Downs easy to coast. Flats Spinny but easy enough so long as others don't push too fast. I do like a challenge but maybe a challenge too far?!?
You could hold a memorial service for your knees at the finish line? :bravo:

AAAC 76C

Large Member

Put a fixed sprocket on it first
You will welcome the uphills after the first steep descent, if you are still on the bike.

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw
The only problem with exponential curves is the first bit.
Its duration is proportional the value of the exponential.
So the flatter bit can sometimes be quite drawn out.
Some of us don't have enough time left to hit the steep bit.
A bit like my weight loss. Proportionally 1kg makes less of an impact at my current weight than it would @100kg. I've lost >10% of my starting weight. However it's taken nearly 3yrs to get here. My next 10% of my original weight I am hoping to get done by the end of September. That would put me with <10%, of my original weight, of being @ or < 100kg. It's a target I may not get to but I am going to try very hard.:mrpig::mrpig: :mrpig::bicycle::mrpig::mrpig::bicycle::mrpig::bicycle::bicycle:

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum

I have a track bike / fixed gear that I used around London in my late teens / early twenties. I’m now 38. That frame is stripped down and hanging up. Everything has its time and place :smile:

Top Bottom