Team BKool CycleChat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AAAC 76C

Large Member
starting in 5

AAAC 76C

Large Member
jeepers that was hot today

732649b65d97549c50fe80364033f03e.jpg

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw
For the want of somewhere better and due to my ignorance with regard to parts needed. I think I'll put this here.

http://si.shimano.com/#/

It is a site with the current (and so far updating) Shimano line up, Specification and Compatibility info. There are also Dealer, User and Quick manuals. As well as Service Instructions, Exploded View (with part numbers), Usery information and Declaration of Conformity documentation.

Hopefully this will be of some help to those who like to try and fix your bikes.

BILL S

Guru
First off, thanks very much Adam for my new avatar, and proof that I can put in some effort when needed, or at least when there's no one's wheel I can sit behind at 30mph. Thanks for the 30+mph freewheeling Kipster and Adam :smile:. Other positives of the weekend were getting to meet Carl (Whorty), Kipster (Paul), Rob & Martyn, and of course Bridgy doing the 130 :notworthy: which makes me want to give it a go next year.
As someone has pointed out, there's not been enough written about the monumental suffering that went on, but tbh the 95 miler just wasn't nearly as bad as the 130, and as Kipster pointed out, him, Adam and me felt pretty good at the end, which was totally different to how I felt after the 130 in earlier years. @bridgy I can't imaging riding up the Devils Staircase 90 miles in. It was bad enough at 50 or so in and far harder than the previous years I did it when it was early in the ride. Only the fact that Adam was at the top with a camera stopped me getting off and walking (which would probably have been quicker). There is no way I could ride it 90 in and I'm sure I will walk up it next year.
I was hoping the others in our group had managed to get together for some drafting too, as ours made a massive difference. I was slightly concerned that we'd have a collision at some point as bkool drafting doesn't really help with technique out in the rw so we got off lightly with a couple of minor tyre scuff's. I'm definitely glad the pace wasn't any faster as I was at or near my limit and was hoping that Adam or Kipster would show a sign of weakness and slow down a bit to give me a breather but it never happened. Legs started to hurt quite a lot around 70 miles in and my rear end at around the same time. Again, not nearly as much as two years ago doing the 130 with Adam and Paul. To me that was the ultimate suffering, but with the new 130 route it would be so much worse if that's possible.

bridgy

Legendary Member
First off, thanks very much Adam for my new avatar, and proof that I can put in some effort when needed, or at least when there's no one's wheel I can sit behind at 30mph. Thanks for the 30+mph freewheeling Kipster and Adam :smile:. Other positives of the weekend were getting to meet Carl (Whorty), Kipster (Paul), Rob & Martyn, and of course Bridgy doing the 130 :notworthy: which makes me want to give it a go next year.
As someone has pointed out, there's not been enough written about the monumental suffering that went on, but tbh the 95 miler just wasn't nearly as bad as the 130, and as Kipster pointed out, him, Adam and me felt pretty good at the end, which was totally different to how I felt after the 130 in earlier years. @bridgy I can't imaging riding up the Devils Staircase 90 miles in. It was bad enough at 50 or so in and far harder than the previous years I did it when it was early in the ride. Only the fact that Adam was at the top with a camera stopped me getting off and walking (which would probably have been quicker). There is no way I could ride it 90 in and I'm sure I will walk up it next year.
I was hoping the others in our group had managed to get together for some drafting too, as ours made a massive difference. I was slightly concerned that we'd have a collision at some point as bkool drafting doesn't really help with technique out in the rw so we got off lightly with a couple of minor tyre scuff's. I'm definitely glad the pace wasn't any faster as I was at or near my limit and was hoping that Adam or Kipster would show a sign of weakness and slow down a bit to give me a breather but it never happened. Legs started to hurt quite a lot around 70 miles in and my rear end at around the same time. Again, not nearly as much as two years ago doing the 130 with Adam and Paul. To me that was the ultimate suffering, but with the new 130 route it would be so much worse if that's possible.
Love the new Avatar Bill! Someone from County Cycles was there taking photos when I went up the staircase - I'm not looking forward to seeing the pictures if they emerge, it won't be pretty!!

peterob

Veteran
Love the new Avatar Bill! Someone from County Cycles was there taking photos when I went up the staircase - I'm not looking forward to seeing the pictures if they emerge, it won't be pretty!!
Well done to everyone who did the DD at the weekend! :bravo:

I'm keen to meetup with the guys from here for a rw event at some point and it seems as if ToC and DD will be the places to do it again next year. With them both a fair distance from me and within a few weeks of each other, I'd probably only be able to make the one. Having done both, would you recommend one over the other Paul? My initial thoughts have me leaning towards the DD - more climbing/views, more challenging (steep climbs, distance). However the ToC is on closed roads and will be a bit different for me ('full-on' speedy effort, hopefully staying in a pack).

@BILL S - that's a good 'Action' (suffering) shot for your avatar

bridgy

Legendary Member
Well done to everyone who did the DD at the weekend! :bravo:

I'm keen to meetup with the guys from here for a rw event at some point and it seems as if ToC and DD will be the places to do it again next year. With them both a fair distance from me and within a few weeks of each other, I'd probably only be able to make the one. Having done both, would you recommend one over the other Paul? My initial thoughts have me leaning towards the DD - more climbing/views, more challenging (steep climbs, distance). However the ToC is on closed roads and will be a bit different for me ('full-on' speedy effort, hopefully staying in a pack).

@BILL S - that's a good 'Action' (suffering) shot for your avatar
Totally different events Pete and both really enjoyable for different reasons (which you'e kind of summed up!)

ToC's selling point is being on closed roads - it was flat and fast with lots of other riders everywhere (although not as busy as the other big closed roads events like Ride London or the Birmingham or Velothon Wales ones from what I've heard). You can make it as challenging as you want by deciding what speed group to try and stay with. Lots of cheering people at the roadside through towns and villages was fun too.

The DD is almost the complete opposite in every way. It's a small sportive - probably only 30-40 riders I think? The route is through stunning scenery and mostly on roads where you see far more sheep than cars - in fact most cars you see are the support vehicles checking up on you! The full DD - particularly the new route - is very tough. The sheer amount of climbing and time in the saddle grinds you down, particularly if - like me - you're not used to such long rides. And the two Devil climbs (plus a couple of other sneaky un-named ones which are almost as steep) definitely burn a lot of matches. But it's great as a ride to really challenge yourself if that's your thing! The organisers do look after you too with a free breakfast before and a meal afterwards, and good home-made cake etc at the food stops - very friendly and supportive (although some of the signage was a bit ropey this year - was glad I had the route in my Elemnt to follow!)

If you can't do both I'd recommend trying both in alternate years if you can as I think you'll enjoy both

peterob

Veteran
Totally different events Pete and both really enjoyable for different reasons (which you'e kind of summed up!)

ToC's selling point is being on closed roads - it was flat and fast with lots of other riders everywhere (although not as busy as the other big closed roads events like Ride London or the Birmingham or Velothon Wales ones from what I've heard). You can make it as challenging as you want by deciding what speed group to try and stay with. Lots of cheering people at the roadside through towns and villages was fun too.

The DD is almost the complete opposite in every way. It's a small sportive - probably only 30-40 riders I think? The route is through stunning scenery and mostly on roads where you see far more sheep than cars - in fact most cars you see are the support vehicles checking up on you! The full DD - particularly the new route - is very tough. The sheer amount of climbing and time in the saddle grinds you down, particularly if - like me - you're not used to such long rides. And the two Devil climbs (plus a couple of other sneaky un-named ones which are almost as steep) definitely burn a lot of matches. But it's great as a ride to really challenge yourself if that's your thing! The organisers do look after you too with a free breakfast before and a meal afterwards, and good home-made cake etc at the food stops - very friendly and supportive (although some of the signage was a bit ropey this year - was glad I had the route in my Elemnt to follow!)

If you can't do both I'd recommend trying both in alternate years if you can as I think you'll enjoy both

Cheers Paul.

I usually prefer smaller sportives. But I did really enjoy the only closed road sportive I did (Etape Cymru, which I had to drop out of due to a mechanical a few years ago).

I guess I'll see who commits to each for next year and decide. Although I imagine the ToC sells out(?) so I may need to commit early if I'm to contemplate doing that.

bridgy

Legendary Member
Cheers Paul.

I usually prefer smaller sportives. But I did really enjoy the only closed road sportive I did (Etape Cymru, which I had to drop out of due to a mechanical a few years ago).

I guess I'll see who commits to each for next year and decide. Although I imagine the ToC sells out(?) so I may need to commit early if I'm to contemplate doing that.
A few of us have already signed up for ToC next year. There were places available right up to the last minute this year, although the price gradually goes up the closer you get to the event

BILL S

Guru
Yet again I feel the need to point out that having your main (best) road bike on the turbo can be a very good thing. With my CF Canyon now been on the turbo for 3 1/2 years+ and only taken off for occasional events like the DD, it was running as smooth as anything for the whole ride and I did nothing to prepare it. Thing is that on the turbo it has the chance to tell you whenever the slightest problem shows itself. Its easy to hear or see any problems and the turbo is a great place to carry out adjustments. Being in constant use everything remains lubricated and doesn't get a chance to corrode up. Anyway, it doesn't seem to be recommended by Canyon to use it on the turbo (invalidates warranty even), so I'm totally disagreeing with them.

Top Bottom