Team BKool CycleChat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bridgy

Legendary Member
Having done them both, if I had to pick one I’d choose the DD. toc was good fun but DD is something else. Neither would be a bad choice though to be fair. Just that the DD has a bit of an epic feel about it.

Was the course different this year to last? I thought the staircase was after about 90 miles last year too. Or maybe that was just for me and Breedon....
As Rob said, yes it was different this year (started at County Cycles in Cross Hands), and I was moaning about the Staircase being the second climb this time, and placed at 90 miles because it's the steeper of the two - maybe I'm just being a wimp though! To be fair, with your detour you and Breedon did ride even further on the "120" mile route than I did this year on the 132 mile route :laugh:

BILL S

Guru
It's easy to break a bike on the DD - I mashed the rear wheel free hub (whatever that is but whatever it is it ain't doing so well now on my bike!). :wacko:

How about a nice new bike for next year Carl (for turbo and rw :P)? You'll be booking in for the ToC and the DD so it'll be worth it :smile: I've never had a freewheel hub go on me but in the winter months in Scotland they can freeze up if there's any water in there, which can have exactly the same effect. In that situation a quick fix is to have a pee on it, but the lesson there is don't get any water into your freewheel mechanism if you live somewhere cold. Do not use pressure washers or steam cleaners on any part of your bike. Ever!! No matter where you live!

Part one (Pollenca up Femenia to the Viaduct) is available in Bkool >>> Here <<< I've ridden it in BRVR and I have a few concerns about the sync of the gpx file and the video. Also the video was a little 'Jerky' in parts ... But that could well be down to the fact that I was pushing stupid watts (583BW UP Femenia!!!), also I was running it from a USB Stick so the transfer speed may not have been high enough.

There is also a drop out (Zero Speed) Segment in the Sa Calobra video that I need to track down before that goes up to BKool ... I think it's a photo stop I've missed, and the FFRT hasn't identified it when I stripped out all 'Break Times'.
Safety first. If I ride it in not going off a cliff am I?

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
How about a nice new bike for next year Carl (for turbo and rw :P)? You'll be booking in for the ToC and the DD so it'll be worth it :smile: I've never had a freewheel hub go on me but in the winter months in Scotland they can freeze up if there's any water in there, which can have exactly the same effect. In that situation a quick fix is to have a pee on it, but the lesson there is don't get any water into your freewheel mechanism if you live somewhere cold. Do not use pressure washers or steam cleaners on any part of your bike. Ever!! No matter where you live!
It's probably me sweating over it on the turbo!

New bike will happen if I lose enough weight to take advantage of it :smile:

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
As Rob said, yes it was different this year (started at County Cycles in Cross Hands), and I was moaning about the Staircase being the second climb this time, and placed at 90 miles because it's the steeper of the two - maybe I'm just being a wimp though! To be fair, with your detour you and Breedon did ride even further on the "120" mile route than I did this year on the 132 mile route :laugh:

We were chatting with the guy organising it at one of the food stops. When I told him we still intended to do the long route even though we’d already added at least 15 miles to the journey he looked at me like I was a complete idiot ^_^

Can’t fault him on his judgement of character!

Daddy Pig

Veteran
We were chatting with the guy organising it at one of the food stops. When I told him we still intended to do the long route even though we’d already added at least 15 miles to the journey he looked at me like I was a complete idiot ^_^

Can’t fault him on his judgement of character!
Hold on... You stopped at the food stop? I thought you just grabbed a bag on the way through! #takiniteasy

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
Perhaps they made it longer due to us Tommy :biggrin:

^_^

Just found this picture Deano
EA216BE3-EA87-4AFC-A724-657C55E98D69.jpeg

We gonna get another one of these pictures in a couple of days time amigo. Either at the top of the Tourmalet or in front of a rescue helicopter! :thumbsup:

Top Bottom