Team BKool CycleChat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bridgy

Legendary Member
Yet again I feel the need to point out that having your main (best) road bike on the turbo can be a very good thing. With my CF Canyon now been on the turbo for 3 1/2 years+ and only taken off for occasional events like the DD, it was running as smooth as anything for the whole ride and I did nothing to prepare it. Thing is that on the turbo it has the chance to tell you whenever the slightest problem shows itself. Its easy to hear or see any problems and the turbo is a great place to carry out adjustments. Being in constant use everything remains lubricated and doesn't get a chance to corrode up. Anyway, it doesn't seem to be recommended by Canyon to use it on the turbo (invalidates warranty even), so I'm totally disagreeing with them.
Meanwhile, my Canyon has never been on the turbo, and broke during the DD, so further support for your theory!

Breedon

Legendary Member
Yet again I feel the need to point out that having your main (best) road bike on the turbo can be a very good thing. With my CF Canyon now been on the turbo for 3 1/2 years+ and only taken off for occasional events like the DD, it was running as smooth as anything for the whole ride and I did nothing to prepare it. Thing is that on the turbo it has the chance to tell you whenever the slightest problem shows itself. Its easy to hear or see any problems and the turbo is a great place to carry out adjustments. Being in constant use everything remains lubricated and doesn't get a chance to corrode up. Anyway, it doesn't seem to be recommended by Canyon to use it on the turbo (invalidates warranty even), so I'm totally disagreeing with them.
Every bike manufacturer says that, I've got a planet x carbon frame so more likely to be made in China no problems what so ever and I'll carry on using it on my Neo

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
Well done to everyone who did the DD at the weekend! :bravo:

I'm keen to meetup with the guys from here for a rw event at some point and it seems as if ToC and DD will be the places to do it again next year. With them both a fair distance from me and within a few weeks of each other, I'd probably only be able to make the one. Having done both, would you recommend one over the other Paul? My initial thoughts have me leaning towards the DD - more climbing/views, more challenging (steep climbs, distance). However the ToC is on closed roads and will be a bit different for me ('full-on' speedy effort, hopefully staying in a pack).

@BILL S - that's a good 'Action' (suffering) shot for your avatar

Having done them both, if I had to pick one I’d choose the DD. toc was good fun but DD is something else. Neither would be a bad choice though to be fair. Just that the DD has a bit of an epic feel about it.

Was the course different this year to last? I thought the staircase was after about 90 miles last year too. Or maybe that was just for me and Breedon....

Breedon

Legendary Member
Having done them both, if I had to pick one I’d choose the DD. toc was good fun but DD is something else. Neither would be a bad choice though to be fair. Just that the DD has a bit of an epic feel about it.

Was the course different this year to last? I thought the staircase was after about 90 miles last year too. Or maybe that was just for me and Breedon....
We did it with 110 miles in our legs I remember it very well :whistle:

rob01792

Über Member

different but similar still the main bit/climbs
no that was the elbow
last year was staircase then elbow
this year elbow then staircase

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw
Of course you've got to take notice of the squeaks and rattles or you end up with this
15292401330012998827741246681631-jpg.jpg

15292409418976177011539923916661-jpg.jpg

And a £200 repair bill :banghead:

bridgy

Legendary Member
I tend to sweat quite a bit on the turbo so things such as cables and headset take quite a battering.

@bridgy, how on earth did you brake your bike?
Well, saying I broke it might be a bit of an over-statement! The front shifter is broken /not working, meaning I was stuck in either the big or small ring at the front - trip to the bike shop needed...

LBHIFI

Veteran
Not much turboing going on here so thought I would keep the thread alive with a little bike comparison info. The rides were done in pretty much the same conditions. On the left a slightly worn Canyon Roadlite alu with mudguards & lights, on the right a Canyon Aeroad full carbon with aero wheels and aero handlebar.

upload_2018-6-26_8-52-45.png
upload_2018-6-26_8-52-54.png

Just under 2 kph diff. in avg speed. Consistent with what I've learnt from similar tests done around my local lake.

Geoff, I'm using my Roadlite for the handicap races, you think you could work in the diff. in my handicap :whistle:

Aleman

Knees are FUBAR but I don't like to mention it
I then did about 2k, 1 either side of the second spike. I'm not sure if it is because of the gearing I've now got but those grades now seem a little tuffer :bicycle::boxing::surrender:.
I'll not attempt that in one lump for a while, but the quality seems to be good on the sections I chose. Sectioning the ride works well too. :thumbsup:
Part one (Pollenca up Femenia to the Viaduct) is available in Bkool >>> Here <<< I've ridden it in BRVR and I have a few concerns about the sync of the gpx file and the video. Also the video was a little 'Jerky' in parts ... But that could well be down to the fact that I was pushing stupid watts (583BW UP Femenia!!!), also I was running it from a USB Stick so the transfer speed may not have been high enough.

There is also a drop out (Zero Speed) Segment in the Sa Calobra video that I need to track down before that goes up to BKool ... I think it's a photo stop I've missed, and the FFRT hasn't identified it when I stripped out all 'Break Times'.

bridgy

Legendary Member
Not much turboing going on here so thought I would keep the thread alive with a little bike comparison info. The rides were done in pretty much the same conditions. On the left a slightly worn Canyon Roadlite alu with mudguards & lights, on the right a Canyon Aeroad full carbon with aero wheels and aero handlebar.

View attachment 416390 View attachment 416391

Just under 2 kph diff. in avg speed. Consistent with what I've learnt from similar tests done around my local lake.

Geoff, I'm using my Roadlite for the handicap races, you think you could work in the diff. in my handicap :whistle:
Thanks Lars, that's an interesting comparison.

Have you converted that to a £££ cost per minute? ^_^

Bored Man

Upstanding Member
Part one (Pollenca up Femenia to the Viaduct) is available in Bkool >>> Here <<< I've ridden it in BRVR and I have a few concerns about the sync of the gpx file and the video. Also the video was a little 'Jerky' in parts ... But that could well be down to the fact that I was pushing stupid watts (583BW UP Femenia!!!), also I was running it from a USB Stick so the transfer speed may not have been high enough.

There is also a drop out (Zero Speed) Segment in the Sa Calobra video that I need to track down before that goes up to BKool ... I think it's a photo stop I've missed, and the FFRT hasn't identified it when I stripped out all 'Break Times'.

You're a top man @Aleman thank you for the share.

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
I tend to sweat quite a bit on the turbo so things such as cables and headset take quite a battering.

@bridgy, how on earth did you brake your bike?
It's easy to break a bike on the DD - I mashed the rear wheel free hub (whatever that is but whatever it is it ain't doing so well now on my bike!). :wacko:

Top Bottom