Team Sky, Brailsford and doping

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldroadman

Veteran
The years up to the end of the 90's were the era of two-speed racing. Those who did, and those who didn't. And it was very obvious who was in which group. So far as I can understand, we have moved into a different and far cleaner era - if you need to look for evidence, consider climbing speeds, average race speeds, and the inability of teams to dominate races without totally stuffing themselves. When UPPS could put nine riders on the front of a TdF climb and ride everyone off their wheel, something is a bit odd. Sky had a good go at this year's TdF, and did a great job in getting the win, but do you think with a clean ethic that would have been remotely possible when the "old regime" was still in place? Not a chance.
In a majority clean peloton the best prepared (by training and support) have the best chance.
The yates matter is another issue, he did ride in Armstrong, did win a TdF stage (TT), and was known as a massive diesel in the peloton. Whether he was aware of the ethic in that team is a matter between him and his conscience. Brailsford must surely have him on a short lead, and there are a number of DS's in Sky, so whether he now has to go is something the management and PR people have to think about. tainted by association, and all that. Something almost any rider from the mid to late 20th century could have laid against them, even if they rode clean.
I'm sad that Barry was not as truthful as he should have been, and alos hope Rogers is going to be cleared, but sadly mud sticks, and the association thing, mentioned above, may be a problem.
However, Sky are probably the strongest team at present, and doing it clean, which says quite a lot about the way other teams are behaving now.
Mr Bruyneel is another matter - no comment.

Booyaa

Veteran
What I don't get is there are riders like Wiggo and Thomas (probably more) that have ridden on doping teams, has this never been mentioned? I don't think it should be but just curious certain people get singled out for this but not others.

For what it's worth I don't believe any of the Sky riders dope and am pretty confident the staff would be dead set against it.

thom

____

thom

____
Nordhaug fingers Rogers
In Norwegian - using google translator (so need some pinch of salt for accuracy) for one of the passages gives :
- For example, Michael Rogers who says he drugged himself earlier in his career, but he stopped in 2006. It's something I choose to believe, and I think many in the sport feel now. There are cyclists with a past, but they have accepted that they gave with it a few years ago.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Nordhaug fingers Rogers
In Norwegian - using google translator (so need some pinch of salt for accuracy) for one of the passages gives :
- For example, Michael Rogers who says he drugged himself earlier in his career, but he stopped in 2006. It's something I choose to believe, and I think many in the sport feel now. There are cyclists with a past, but they have accepted that they gave with it a few years ago.

Well, we knew that already, didn't we?

thom

____
I guess it was just a 'rumour', but it must have been more than that within cycling circles.
Yeah I only really heard it this last week and it was not clear whether he was guilty by association or whether there was something more to it. I think HTC was a clean team so don't doubt that at the very least he has been clean for a good number of years. One potential thing about Nordhaug is his motivation having just left SKY right. Certainly it makes it a little easier to report confidentialities but he might be slightly bitter and just embellishing rumours himself. I don't know but someone has been misbehaving in some way.
Main thing is it places Rogers a little more in the spotlight.

Top Bottom