Telescopic mudguards. My fantastic new invention!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
I haven't worked out the details yet but I think it's a winner and that I could take my idea to the Dragons Den to get it off the ground. 4 or 5 sections of 6" or so that stays tucked up most of the time that then just slide out and down around the back wheel when it rains. Some pivoted stays on the end that perhaps just lock into place when the mudguard is extended and your done. I'm a genius if I say so myself.

U

User6179

I haven't worked out the details yet but I think it's a winner and that I could take my idea to the Dragons Den to get it off the ground. 4 or 5 sections of 6" or so that stays tucked up most of the time that then just slide out and down around the back wheel when it rains. Some pivoted stays on the end that perhaps just lock into place when the mudguard is extended and your done. I'm a genius if I say so myself.

Sounds good, perhaps something that comes out from under the seat just to stop water soaking your backside.

snorri

Legendary Member
Perhaps you could score a few points with the greens by using old beer cans for the sections?:smile:
2009_0618eidebarge280088.JPG

I recall a documentary I once saw about a wealthy gentleman who used his fortune to combat crime in the city of his birth.

A moving testament to a truly courageous and resourceful individual. In the truest sense, incredible.

He drove a car of immense power, which he was able to cover with an armoured carapace at the touch of a button.

Whether he had taken out a patent on this system I do not know. I suspect he had, as I have yet to see it used on another car.

Anyway, his design seems to have more than a little in common with the system you describe.

It might be worth tracking this chap down and seeking his advice.

I forget the name of the documentary, but the gentleman was a Mr Wayne.

I hope this has helped.

OP
OP
Cyclopathic

Cyclopathic

Veteran
Problem is, now you have described it in a public forum you won't be able to get a copright on it and anyone can steal it.
This is no bad thing as I am sure that I could not be @rsed to actually go through all the rigmaroll of developing the idea and researching and begging for funding and everything else that goes with getting ideas like this into the shops. As unfashionable as it is these days I have absolutely no entrepreneurial flare. I am not an enthusiastic go-getter, I do not have huge ambition. And I do not want to go on dragons den.

400bhp

Guru
Remote control - "triple tap":becool:

What's the point? The only one I can see is the dubious one of aesthetics. Otherwise in or out you are still carrying around the same weight of mudguard (or even a bit more because a telescoping design will weigh more). So why not leave it out and unfolded all the time or even fit a standard mudguard?

What's the point? The only one I can see is the dubious one of aesthetics. Otherwise in or out you are still carrying around the same weight of mudguard (or even a bit more because a telescoping design will weigh more). So why not leave it out and unfolded all the time or even fit a standard mudguard?

That's it!!

A retractable mudguard that stays in position even when retracted!

That way, you could do away with the cumbersome and heavy retracting mechanism and you'd be left with just the short sections of mudguard that slot together to stow beneath the saddle.

But... (and this is the good bit) with no retracting mechanism, there'd be no need for the guard to be divided into floding sections.

It could be manufactured and sold as a single, unbroken mudguard.

If anyone tries to patent this before I get onto it on Monday, I shall be jolly cross.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Exactly....but somehow I don't think this kind of logic is suited to the thread :smile: Meanwhile, I'm working on an umbrella mudguard. You know those collapsible umbrellas and how they fan out keeping the rain out - all you have to do is fan them out and you only need miniature helium-filled micro-tubes to keep the self-folding nylon stretch guards all folded up nicely. Because of the fanning out mechanism, I'm calling them ''bike fannies.''

Top Bottom