Tell us about your Ebay cycling gear

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Bought a single speed girls bike for my 6 year old last year - £8

Needed nothing doing and was perfectly rideable then and remains so today.

The guy bought it for his grandaughter who used it when she came over, which wasn't often so bike was as good as new.

Same new bike would've cost me near £100 today

recumbent bikes on e bay!
Hi there are some recumbent bikes on E bay but not much information about them on the web, just that they are manufactured by MARS CO. from taiwan . Would be interested on comments from anyone who has purchased one .
Cheers neil

tyred

Legendary Member
I buy most cycle related items of Ebay.

As I enjoy restoring and riding classics, in many cases, it gives me the best oppurtunity to buy parts. It would be a pointless waste of time in many cases to try and get an LBS to sell me something like cotter pins, 28 x 1 1/2" tyres, pawl springs for an AG hub or 26 TPI bottom bracket cups but these things are readily available on Ebay and I have no problems to report. Unlike SJS who sent me cone spanners when I ordered a Lumotec headlight! 

Prices are steadily creeping up though. :angry:

slow Al

I have bought loads of stuff on e bay, including,
Sidi shoes new and used
bib shorts vests, winter jacket all brand new
Besy buy has been brand new Shimano Ultegra chain set for £32.00
Winter bike £35.00
Bike for Turbo £6.00
B/ new turbo £36.00
Plus fishing gear, climbing gear, Horby, Lego and much more

You can not beat Ebay !

Chris S

Legendary Member
I bought a Raleigh Cyclone last month for £12.50! It only needed an inner gear cable and I've now got a usable bike in decent condition for less than £15.

e-rider

crappy member
I sell lots of stuff on ebay and usually get a good price for it (sometimes people pay way more than it's worth, and sometimes, but not often I don't get as much as I want). The ebay fees are a rip-off and have increased by more than 50% over the last 5 years, but it's still a good place to sell.

I do buy 'new' items usually only from well known sellers (merlin cycles, high on bikes etc). On the odd occasion I've bought secondhand I have got items that have some faults or damage not described in the listing. However, I sell decent items on ebay so I'm sure there are plenty of genuine items for sale too.

I have however, seen a huge number of overpriced and/or completely shite items. The amazing thing is that these items sell - people who don't know much about bikes etc. really shouldn't be shopping on ebay.

Wobblers

Euthermic
I got my Super Galaxy thanks to ebay for the princely sum of £166.12, thanks to a spelling mistake in the title! All it needed was a pair of new tyres and now it's my commuting/utility workhorse.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Nothing too bargainous.........

Generally get Dura Ace 7400 rear sprockets (individuals) from US ebay sellers - £5 a sprocket, brand new.

Got a mint condition XT rear mech (late 1990's) for £20 to replace a worn LX mech on my MTB of same era (keeping it same age).

Got my fancy TA blue chain rings - shown in my Avatar for about £30, used but very good condition (RRP £70ish) and as rare as hens teeth.

Deore MTB wheels for £60 - new.

Main ebay stuff has been collectable kit - extras for the Scalextric set, etc.

It's good for stuff you don't find in the shops - great for keeping older bikes serviced with 'period' equipment also.

Downward

Guru
The Good
Some Kona Shorts, Overshoes BBB, 2 x M+ Tyres for £40, Trek Kit (Livestrong) for Xmas, Shimano SPDs (2 lots) with Cleats

The Bad
Turbo Trainer - Paid November, No sign of delivery yet, They were chasing up the Courier as it was supposed to be despatched Monday. I paid £10 to get it courier as with the weather I didn't feel it worth it to travel 60 miles myself so if I claim back I lose £10.
One one hand annoying, On the other my bike isn't ready yet so It would just be sitting in the corner, I am too patient to be honest !

2 sets of Smart BL-201 lights, 2 sets of 700c Schwalbe M+ tyres, a helmet, a hi-vis jacket, panniers from SJS Cycles, a suspension seat post, and my favourite purchase, a Cannondale Street Sport Nexus, which I had been looking for for for bloomin' ages. :thumbsup:

Lilylass

Bits and pieces ..... (incl postage)

Panniers from SJS - under £10 & are pretty decent (good reflective strip at back which adds to visibility)

Kryptonite Lock - around £15 (watched these for a couple of weeks to get an idea of price. It's amazing how some people get bidding fever they were going for over £25 (not incl p&p) when other sellers had them on buy-it-now for £15 - stupid)!

Tool set - £3

2nd hand jacket £6

Trying to get a pair of decent winter gloves just now but keep getting outbid!

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Absolute Cycles are very good, free postage and packing to all UK addresses. Their eBay store features stuff that they don't do on their website, I got 2 large (750ml) High5 drinking / mixing bottles for £5, and they were delivered in 2 days.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Absolute-Cycles

There's a pair of Diadora shoes on there now at only £13 with 15 minutes left to go.

e-rider

crappy member
Nothing too bargainous.........

Generally get Dura Ace 7400 rear sprockets (individuals) from US ebay sellers - £5 a sprocket, brand new.

Got a mint condition XT rear mech (late 1990's) for £20 to replace a worn LX mech on my MTB of same era (keeping it same age).

Got my fancy TA blue chain rings - shown in my Avatar for about £30, used but very good condition (RRP £70ish) and as rare as hens teeth.

Deore MTB wheels for £60 - new.

Main ebay stuff has been collectable kit - extras for the Scalextric set, etc.

It's good for stuff you don't find in the shops - great for keeping older bikes serviced with 'period' equipment also.

was that from me?

Top Bottom