Tell us about your Ebay cycling gear

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I just picked this up £250 :biggrin: Wheels will be changed for some Mavics I have and I will need to change the pedals as I use keos rather than spd sl's but the rest is all good, carbon forks, carbon seat post, Selle Italia SLR saddle, new chain plus cassette and full tiagra groupset. All in weighs about 8.5 to 9 kg. Not sure on the colour but I will learn to live with it. Just concerned weather may prevent any long rides before Christmas :angry:

med_gallery_6887_59_655826.jpg

a_n_t

£170, bargain!!

!B9hP2LwBmk~$(KGrHqEOKicEzP9,yYK+BM6DYc)R2!~~0_12.JPG

Globalti

Legendary Member
I sold my Harry Hall on Ebay, somebody in Oxford bought it and I hope he's enjoying it; I'd spent a lot of money sorting it out.

Then I realised that I'd sold the HH with 105 derailleurs and Ultegra brakes that I'd got from Ebay. My new bike came with Ultegra derailleurs and 105 brakes so I could have just swopped them over before selling the HH. So I sold the 105 brakes off the new bike on Ebay and bought some Ultegra brakes off Ebay for the same price. Does that make sense? Probably not.

Davidc

Guru
I've bought lots of things - including my Dawes Horizon, my current Brooks B17 (from SJS) and everyday panniers (from SJS).

Only one duff seller was for a saddle bought for my wife, and ebay/paypal refunded in full with little hassle and in reasonable time.

I've also sold quite a bit, and been surprised at the prices achieved sometimes. All buyers have been pleasant, most have paid up quickly.

As said above the feedback is important as is use of Paypal (or cash if collecting) both ways round.

Brad

It seems there are a lot of bargains to be had :smile:

I refuse to pay the asking price for brake blocks (£24 for 4 old fashioned one piece Mirage blocks!) and find it cheaper just to wait for an old pair of brakes with new blocks to come up. Got some 10 year old Shimano 105 brakes last week with almost new Ultegra shoes/pads for £20 posted - shoe/pad on the bike and brakes in the bin!

I have bought cycle stuff via Ebay on several occasions and am yet to be disappointed. My most recent have been a Topeak Alien 2 Tool and some Shimano SPD pedals (half price including postage than from some leading Internet cycle shops and much cheaper than all of them!)

My advice would be to buy branded stuff and ALWAYS check whether you can get the item cheaper elsewhere including from LBS. The internet makes this generally easy. I have sold a few DVDs on Ebay that I originally bought from Amazon. Some have sold for more than I paid new which suggests a certain number of buyers either get carried away or do not look for the best price.

Ebay is trying to stop excessive postal charges but sometimes the total price on Ebay can make an item more expensive than buying from on line/high street sources where there is no postal charge.

Overall the usual rule of 'buyer beware' applies.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I sold a pair of basic spd-sl pedals that I inherited on a second hand bike I bought, they were scratched and worn but the bearings were smooth, I got £14 PLUS P&P, I was expecting a fiver or so.

adds21

Rider of bikes
I recently bought a Trek 6500 SLR MTB for £160. Absolute bargain, even if I did need to replace the bottom bracket and cassette/chain. It’s still my favourite bike 2 months on. I just need to get some decent tyres. It's certainly the most "fun" bike I own.

Top Bottom