Tent recommendations for touring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

freiston

Veteran
We're talking roughly 35 years ago, so I really can't remember about a sticker. It's possible
Fair dos, I only remember mine because I stuck it on the side of a tin to keep pens in (and still use it for that) 😄

OP
OP
citybabe

citybabe

Keep Calm and OMG.......CAKES!!
Just to add an update to this post I went for a Vango Nevis 200 tent.

OP
OP
citybabe

citybabe

A little windy on the east Suffolk coast this morning but the tent held fine on the stones.
The wind does get between the inner and outer so it flaps rather a lot inside but in general I’m very happy with it

Attachments

• 02EE3B60-9D63-40D0-B5AA-0A96D228974E.jpeg
    02EE3B60-9D63-40D0-B5AA-0A96D228974E.jpeg
    166.5 KB · Views: 5
Can i ask where?
Do you use special pegs or devices to grip on those stones?
Any particular reason you like camping on the stony beach rather than somewhere more hidden?
As a local I assume you know the tidal patterns.

OP
OP
citybabe

citybabe

Can't go wrong with a Vango, had a Banshee a few years back, bombproof.
I considered a Banshee but went for the Nevis after reading various reviews but to be fair the reviews were very good for both.
Being very short I can easily sit up inside the Nevis and dress which a taller person may find much more irritating

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
That's pretty much identical to my Zephyros 2, except the nevis seems to go up a bit easier. I'm still trying to master that feat and it's taking a good 10 mins.
Can I ask how tall you are? I'm 5' 4" and when sitting (or trying to sit up) my head scrapes the roof.

mattw

Über Member
[ATTACH=full]544283[/ATTACH]
alicat
Definitely a case of you can only have two of light / cheap / strong. Tell us which two you favour and we can better help you.

This for sure.... I use a Hilleberg Nallo II - definately light and strong but very expensive. Seen off 112 mph winds and carried it on 7800 miles of tours but I am scared because I cant afford to replace it !

Fram

[ATTACH=full]544283[/ATTACH]
alicat
Definitely a case of you can only have two of light / cheap / strong. Tell us which two you favour and we can better help you.

This for sure.... I use a Hilleberg Nallo II - definately light and strong but very expensive. Seen off 112 mph winds and carried it on 7800 miles of tours but I am scared because I cant afford to replace it !
+1 The two of us have made considerable use of our Nallo 3. Excellent, but a one off purchase!

+1 The two of us have made considerable use of our Nallo 3. Excellent, but a one off purchase!
We're all different and I'd go another way....
I bought an Exped Orion, not in the same range as Hillebergs, but not far off. I was watching a few tents over the course of about a year and pulled the trigger when I saw this one on a special price. Still expensive for me, though.

Having used it on gravel (US) and had a couple of cats on it it has been patched up on the fly and floor. I'll tell you, it's damn annoying finding a cat climbing on your expensive tent!

If I was looking for a touring tent again I'd go for something cheaper with a view to replacing it when needed.

By choosing the same model I'd have spare poles/segments and material for patching.

Then again, it depends where the tent is going to be pitched. Mine gets into some strange places 😄

If I was looking for a touring tent again I'd go for something cheaper with a view to replacing it when needed.

By choosing the same model I'd have spare poles/segments and material for patching.

Agree with this - this is my plan from now on, having found my own near perfect tent.

Of course hobbes we both have to hope, maybe against hope in this world, that the manufacturers of our true love don't change the design of our true love for no other good reason than the slaverings of the marketing department.

Because of this real and present danger I have considered buying a spare of my tent in advance, but I have worries about a tent deteriorating in long-term storage - odd stuff happening to the material etc. I have one old tent which felt curiously sticky on last unpacking it for a check.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
As a potential tent newbie, my research suggests tents are not like Carradice saddlebags or Ortlieb panniers, that is buy once and use for the next 30 years.

So, the question for the tent experts...how often do you change your tent due to the end of their useful life?

Top Bottom