Tent recommendations for touring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dnrc

Veteran
I've been checking the rules here: apparently it is okay to camp if you have permission from the owner, and there are some places in the Black Forest where you can wild camp. Otherwise it is technically illegal to use an "enclosed shelter" i.e. a tent to sleep overnight, but a tarp is open, so it theoretically isn't illegal. Gotta love German exactitude...

Has anyone here wild camped in Germany?

I have too, and in Switzerland

Baldy

Über Member
I use a Trekkertent Phreeranger http://www.trekkertent.com/home/home/32-phreeranger.html

Plenty of room for one, lightweight and packs down to a small size, so easy to fit into panniers. He's just a one man operation and he also has a day job, so you have to allow plenty of time between ordering and it arriving. Their very well made once they do.

Fram

I've been checking the rules here: apparently it is okay to camp if you have permission from the owner, and there are some places in the Black Forest where you can wild camp. Otherwise it is technically illegal to use an "enclosed shelter" i.e. a tent to sleep overnight, but a tarp is open, so it theoretically isn't illegal. Gotta love German exactitude...

Has anyone here wild camped in Germany?
Yes, but just the odd night tucked out of sight.

robing

Über Member
I have learnt what matters to me based on trial and error. Personally I have an MSR Hubba Hubba NX. 2 person but huge for one. Stealth green, can be pitched free standing and either withe just inner or just outer. And pretty light for its size. They also do a smaller one person version.
https://www.elitemountainsupplies.c...1jwrQThxD0zetghI29tVm6WU-oSS5DRhoCd8IQAvD_BwE

I bought this tent but haven't had a chance to try it out for obvious reasons. I also have a Vango Blade 100 which has been a great little tent. My only concern re the Hubba Hubba its size. I like wild camping and I the little Vango had tucked away in some great little places that I know I would struggle to fit a bigger tent. Have you or anyone else found this to be a problem?

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
I use a Trekkertent Phreeranger http://www.trekkertent.com/home/home/32-phreeranger.html

Plenty of room for one, lightweight and packs down to a small size, so easy to fit into panniers. He's just a one man operation and he also has a day job, so you have to allow plenty of time between ordering and it arriving. Their very well made once they do.

That is a copy of the 1980’s Phoenix phreeranger. I guess any copyrights have long expired.

jay clock

Massive member
I bought this tent but haven't had a chance to try it out for obvious reasons. I also have a Vango Blade 100 which has been a great little tent. My only concern re the Hubba Hubba its size. I like wild camping and I the little Vango had tucked away in some great little places that I know I would struggle to fit a bigger tent. Have you or anyone else found this to be a problem?
it is big but i haven't done any serious stealth camping.

Baldy

Über Member
That is a copy of the 1980’s Phoenix phreeranger. I guess any copyrights have long expired.
Yes long ago, it's not an exact copy anyway. It's made of different materials to start with. Silnylon instead of pu coated ripstop nylon.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
how much does it weigh

The original (which I have in loft) is about 1.4kg.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Yes long ago, it's not an exact copy anyway. It's made of different materials to start with. Silnylon instead of pu coated ripstop nylon.

Same pole config and dimensions and inner / outer setup looks pretty much the same. I’ll have to get my original from loft and pitch it to compare.

Baldy

Über Member
Someone sent him an old phoenix tent and asked if he could make a copy in silnylon. He had a go, liked it and started producing them. There's a few tweaks here and there, but a really good tent. I got mine for backpacking but it's just as good for bike touring.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Someone sent him an old phoenix tent and asked if he could make a copy in silnylon. He had a go, liked it and started producing them. There's a few tweaks here and there, but a really good tent. I got mine for backpacking but it's just as good for bike touring.

It’s a good copy, recognised design straight away. Must get my original down and see how bad it’s deteriorated over the years. Didn’t realise I still had it till my wife mentioned it was up there.

freiston

Veteran
It’s a good copy, recognised design straight away. Must get my original down and see how bad it’s deteriorated over the years. Didn’t realise I still had it till my wife mentioned it was up there.
Did you get a sticker with your tent? I got one with the Phoenix Phleece that I won in a magazine competition (the fleece wore out a few years ago after a lot of wear over a decade or more):

Top Bottom