Tesco 3w Cree torch

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gratts

Guyyyysss, are these still being sold at Tesco, or have they been discontinued(namely the AA version)?
Swear I saw a thread about them being cleared out, but can't see any trace of it. Would have thought they'd be selling pretty well with all these cyclists buying them!

Cheers ;)

gratts

Excellent, hopefully they'll still be in the large homeplus near me.
I'll have a pootle down on the bike tomorrow, hopefully I can pick another up and get out at night over Christmas ;)

Good game this! After getting a few of the 3w @ a tenner, I picked up a 4w 'big boy' (heavy :thumbsup:) for nine squid in Hayes...1/2 price:thumbsup:They are ideal for dark night dog walking and beating away assailants.

MajorMantra

gratts said:
AA down to £8 at Tesco Homeplus, - 2.5% VAT cut £7.82. Bargain :angry:

Same in Tesco Extra in Corstorphine (Edinburgh). By the way I tested a whole bunch of the torches in the shop and found that of 9 AA torches, 3 were the better, more diffuse, purple-ish version and 6 were the colder, more focussed version. Not sure if that's statistically significant...

Matthew

Wobbly John

Veteran
I've converted a couple of the Tesco 3W CREE ones (£8) to run on dymano. Webpage how-to here.

I kept it much simpler then last year's Luxeon torch conversion which has illuminated my way for almost a years worth of commuting and winter training across the inky black fens - and through the night on the Dunwich Dynamo.

The only additional electrical component used is a bridge rectifier (39p from Maplins) :laugh:

PrettyboyTim

That's pretty cool. How well do you think they would work off a bottle dynamo?

I may have to get another couple of tesco torches for this. I wouldn't want to use my current pair as I tend to find myself plucking one off the bike all the time to use as a normal torch...

Wobbly John

Veteran
PrettyboyTim said:
That's pretty cool. How well do you think they would work off a bottle dynamo?

My hub dynamo rated at 6V 3W. the 2 Crees give noticable drag when switched on. :ohmy:

I didn't notice any drag from the old Mini Luxeon and decided to try it on a bottle dymano today.

The Dynamo is rated 6V 2.4W and lit the Luxeon when spun between the fingers. Unfortunately it used to bolt to a braze-on that none of my current bikes have, so it will have to wait until I can braze a mount onto my recumbent bike before I can test it fully.

I would guess that a single torch would be fine on a bottle dymano.

Top Bottom