Tesco dig themselves a hole, and keep digging

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

snailracer

Über Member
Why? I dont find them any better or worse than the others.
My wife actually bothers to check her shopping receipts.

When we shopped in Tesco in Royston, we regularly (i.e. every other shopping trip, on average) found "discrepancies" between the price labels on the shelves and the prices charged at the till, which were always higher - we assumed it was due to a single rogue manager indulging in dodgy practices at that branch of Tesco.

However, when we moved to Surrey, we found the same thing happening at the Tesco in Molesey, and in the same manner - misleading clauses in small print, labels in the wrong place, labels that didn't apply to anything on that shelf, etc.

We also shop regularly in Waitrose and Sainsbury's, and there is hardly ever a discrepancy. Moreover, when there was, as often as not we would be charged less than the price label on the shelves, which suggests a genuine mistake rather than deliberate cheating.

So, as far as I am concerned, Tesco are dishonest cheats and some other supermarkets really are better.

compo

Veteran
We regularly have our shopping delivered by Tesco and we have never had a problem. Only time things went a bit haywire was when it snowed heavily, then froze, and our 2pm delivery arrived at 10pm, but obviously allowances have to be made. Having said that I also think Tesco are a bunch of crooks but I can't wean my wife off them.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I remember reading the results of a survey once into the kinds of 'errors' described by snailracer above, and lo & behold, on average the 'errors' were to the advantage of the stores in something like 80% of cases. I remember Tesco as being a particularly bad offender.

Maz

Guru
I phoned up Tesco to complain that the frozen pizza I bought from them had no toppings - it was just a pizza base - it was meant to be a Margherita (cheese/tomato).
After 20 minutes of speaking to several hierarchical managers to escalate the problem, I realised I'd opened the box upside down.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Once in a blue moon I get Tesco to deliver my shopping. Every time, the staff fail to understand that a lemon is NOT a lime. I order limes and I get lemons. Still, it's a minor & amusing issue in reality.

In the past, they used to give me meat replacements for any veggie items that weren't available - either a joke on the picker/packer's part or a lack of understanding of vegetarianism. However, a quick phonecall and I'd get a refund and allowed to keep the meat items, which I'd pass on to my parents.

Once I got 3 large hams in my delivery which were obviously meant for someone else's order, and Tesco let me keep them free rather than sending someone round to pick them up. My parents were well-chuffed that week!

That kind of thing doesn't happen any more though as I opted for no bags, so I can see everything that's being unloaded from the trays (whereas before I'd just get bags full of shopping left on the floor when the guy delivered).

Reactions: Maz

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
Try buying a plane ticket with refund option, then cancel the ticket and ask for the refund ,, KLM took 3 months to credit it , 3-4 days is pretty quick compared to a lot of companies out there.

Sandra6

Veteran
I've had late deliveries from tesco (not a massive problem as I was still in) and one that didn't turn up at all, but they always refunded me straight away. Once there was an issue with my card - the chicken fillets scanned at £500 instead of a fiver (I bought three packets) so it went as "unusual spending" and the card was blocked. Tesco didn't charge me for the shopping - delivered it on time - and then took payment when the problem was sorted.
Asda on the other hand repeatedly let me down -well three times and then I stopped using them. The last time they took the money , around £100 for the shopping, then didn't bother delivering it because one of their vans was off the road. But they didn't bother to let me know they weren't delivering it. When I rang to ask what was going on they got really arsey and cancelled my order then took 10 days to refund the money.
They did eventually send me a £20 gift card as way of an apology - but when I went to use it it was only worth a tenner.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Once in a blue moon I get Tesco to deliver my shopping. Every time, the staff fail to understand that a lemon is NOT a lime. I order limes and I get lemons. Still, it's a minor & amusing issue in reality.

In the past, they used to give me meat replacements for any veggie items that weren't available - either a joke on the picker/packer's part or a lack of understanding of vegetarianism. However, a quick phonecall and I'd get a refund and allowed to keep the meat items, which I'd pass on to my parents.

Once I got 3 large hams in my delivery which were obviously meant for someone else's order, and Tesco let me keep them free rather than sending someone round to pick them up. My parents were well-chuffed that week!

That kind of thing doesn't happen any more though as I opted for no bags, so I can see everything that's being unloaded from the trays (whereas before I'd just get bags full of shopping left on the floor when the guy delivered).
Ooh, supermarket citrus stories, I've got one! At the till in an ASDA, the cashier, who'd never seen a grapefruit before, bless her, went frantically leafing through her laminated list of fruit prices whilst saying out loud ''big lemon!'' (And before you say it, she wasn't referring to me.)

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
Tried to shop at tesco and they stopped me as I had a bike trailer, apparently it was policy not to allow them, nobody could tell me what policy or why though. Brain dead crooks.

Risex4

Dropped by the autobus
Also, if they can take your money, instantly, why can't they (and don't they) refund your money, instantly.

I know this doesn't help the argument in hand much, but they don't and they can't. Its not within their control as with any form of electronic payment, its not actually instantaneous.

When you pay for something, their system checks and validates the payment (makes sure theres enough money there) and then "reserves" it in your account. The money is subsequently hidden and disappears into a holding account (if you were to say go and check the ATM or online banking) as the system is set up so that it appears instantaneous to stop you going and spending the same £10 over and over and over again. The actual monetary transaction however of transferring from A to B, bank account to bank account, tends to happen in bulk, of a night time generally, when this "bagsied" money is then properly moved and re-deposited. Your money won't be actually in the companies hands in a real sense until the next day minimum, possibly a few days depending on volumes of transactions going through the banking system.

And it works the same in reverse. When you get a refund, you reserve money in their account until the great robust banking system that we have actually gets around to transferring the money into your account a day or three later, hence why it takes a few days for the refund to be credited to your statement for you to see and be able to spend again.

This system is faster if you happen to use the same bank as the company, as the money has less distance to travel. Its generally when it has to go from one bank to another that the delay of days comes in. The point is, you'll get the money back as fast as the company got it in the first place. You'll also come across this if you ever try transferring money. If you are moving from one account to another held by the same bank, it may be instant depending on the banks own procedures and the type of account. Transfers between different departments (say from an investment arm of a bank to its current accounts branch) slightly longer, inter-bank, longer still.

Top Bottom