Tesco dig themselves a hole, and keep digging

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ASC1951

Guru
My local branch of the sainted Co-op has stopped handing out till receipts unless you ask for them. Yesterday I did, because both the items were mis-priced - £8.89 when they should have come to £6.59. Mildly annoying was that I bought one of them last week as well and had already pointed out the mis-pricing. If I had been buying more items I would never have noticed, because life is too short to sit down and check till rolls.
Anyway, I generally take my meagre requirements to Lidl, whose goods are cheaper, not laden with fat and sugar and presented with a minimum of wasteful packaging.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
My local branch of the sainted Co-op has stopped handing out till receipts unless you ask for them.
That sounds well dodgy to me. Why would they do that? And don't tell me it's to protect the environment. I wouldn't mind not getting receipts in quite a lot of situations, but supermarkets make so many mistakes, not being able to check your receipt seems well out of order.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
That sounds well dodgy to me. Why would they do that? And don't tell me it's to protect the environment. I wouldn't mind not getting receipts in quite a lot of situations, but supermarkets make so many mistakes, not being able to check your receipt seems well out of order.

The co-op has done this for quite a while. When I use a co-op as a source of evidence for a control on an Audax ride I automatically ask for a receipt otherwise I'm not bothered by its absence.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Fair enough. I'm still baffled as to the rationale.

Uses fewer resources and creates less litter, if you want a greenwash explanation, saves money on till roll if you prefer the capitalist answer....

Most people aren't bothered about a receipt, especially for only a couple of items - and a receipt for a lots of items isn't always much longer than one for a couple, bearing in mind the header and footer and so on. If a till goes from using a till roll a day, to making one two or three days, that's a big saving over the whole company.

Hip Priest

Veteran
Did it get resolved in the end?

I haven't used the Tesco delivery service for a few years. I live so close to the store now that they'd probably accuse me of taking the mick.

Risex4

Dropped by the autobus
The chinese at the end of the road I used to live in (literally 30 yards away) used to refuse point blank to deliver. Every time I'd phone up to get the order going and ask them (only half jokingly) to deliver, they'd take my address and then tell me it'd be an hour, both of us knowing that I could walk in and get it over the counter in 5 minutes.
Prior to its change in management, they even put a little ironic hand-written note below the delivery information saying that regretfully if you lived in X,Y or Z Road (i.e those right opposite), they couldn't guarantee how long it would take to deliver because of the distance..... T'was all in good fun.

Top Bottom