Texting on a horse!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

400bhp

Guru
Smeggers reckoned that a comp should be run to find me a new Avatar, BFF thought I was a Guardianista and suggested a arty B&W pic to suit - I felt compelled to comply. (the bit about me being a Guardianista though :rofl: )

Ah, makes some sense I suppose.

Not sure Guarianista is correct. I think it should be Guardiador? :whistle:

Linford

Ah, makes some sense I suppose.

Not sure Guarianista is correct. I think it should be Guardiador? :whistle:

I've just been given some double ended knitting needles which are ideal for circular knitting, and my local health food shop has got large tubs of organic Llama Yogurt flown in from the Andes by fast jet for extra freshness on special. I hear they have some great patterns to follow in the Guardian, and subscription to the readership does seem to bring a form of empowerment like no other can manage. I'll be wearing home knitted 'apparel' and growing a beard in no time - like all the other readers ;)

VamP

Banned
I read somewhere that there are apparently 250k foxes in the UK, and 100k of them die on the roads each year. The real hunting bit has been banned in the acknowledged sense, but they still look to control the numbers with terriers, and marksmen. I don't know much about this side TBH, but the bits of the hunts I've seen have always had some dude chasing off ahead dragging something behind him, the hounds picking up the trail and then the riders chasing after them.

There' also alternatives to fox hunting, such as bloodhounding, as per the pic I posted above. The bloodhounds do not chase foxes, unlike the hounds that are used by traditional hunts, so there is no chance of an accidental fox kill. Bloodhounds chase humans ^_^

Hunts employ a runner or two, who lay out the lines, in a pre arranged pattern (to keep landowner happy), with a 20 minute or so head start. The sight of the runners getting caught by the pack and licked nearly to death is brill :thumbsup:.

The hunters are in it for the social aspect, but mainly for the thrill of hedge jumping.

As for fox hunting, I believe the argument of the hunting protesters was never about the numbers of foxes that were killed by hunts.

Linford

There' also alternatives to fox hunting, such as bloodhounding, as per the pic I posted above. The bloodhounds do not chase foxes, unlike the hounds that are used by traditional hunts, so there is no chance of an accidental fox kill. Bloodhounds chase humans ^_^

Hunts employ a runner or two, who lay out the lines, in a pre arranged pattern (to keep landowner happy), with a 20 minute or so head start. The sight of the runners getting caught by the pack and licked nearly to death is brill :thumbsup:.

The hunters are in it for the social aspect, but mainly for the thrill of hedge jumping.

As for fox hunting, I believe the argument of the hunting protesters was never about the numbers of foxes that were killed by hunts.

By and large, I'm just the transport who gets the horse and rider to the starting point, so I know little about it apart from following them a few times. They have certainly never caught anything when I've made a point of this, as I normally just unhitch and go home if close enough until I get a call to go and get them. I'm certainly not a good enough horse rider to go out with them and hop hedges.

lukesdad

By and large, I'm just the transport who gets the horse and rider to the starting point, so I know little about it apart from following them a few times. They have certainly never caught anything when I've made a point of this, as I normally just unhitch and go home if close enough until I get a call to go and get them. I'm certainly not a good enough horse rider to go out with them and hop hedges.
I did a little hunting when I first met LM, but didn t really fit in. Can t think why. :ohmy:

VamP

Banned

Me too :biggrin:

I tend to hang around and take pictures, following on my cross bike, if it makes sense. It is a good day out though, though I would echo lukesdad sentiments about not really fitting in ;)

lukesdad

There are of course unsavoury parts to hunting. Cubbing for instance, initiation ceremony s for youngsters quite frankly is pagan.

Linford

I'd say that 95% of our excursions are for showjmping competitions. If someone were to try that on with my daughter, they would get their answer. She is only interested in the riding aspect of it. Follows the dress code because she wouldn't be able to ride with them otherwise. All the people we have ever had contact with are basically the people who roll up to the Show Jumping comps - at the end of the day, it is what they do in the arena when they get there, and not how big your lorry is, or how much the horse cost to buy. Probably the most able of horse/rider combinations in our local area at the level ours competes at, lives in a tied cottage with her parents and works on a yard shovelling horse poo all week for minimum wage.
Looks can be deceiving with the horse set.

I'd say that 95% of our excursions are for showjmping competitions. If someone were to try that on with my daughter, they would get their answer. She is only interested in the riding aspect of it. Follows the dress code because she wouldn't be able to ride with them otherwise. All the people we have ever had contact with are basically the people who roll up to the Show Jumping comps - at the end of the day, it is what they do in the arena when they get there, and not how big your lorry is, or how much the horse cost to buy. Probably the most able of horse/rider combinations in our local area at the level ours competes at, lives in a tied cottage with her parents and works on a yard shovelling horse poo all week for minimum wage.
Looks can be deceiving with the horse set.

That was my experience too. I used to rock up to my local riding club in an ancient trailer pulled by an ancient ex army landrover, in my second hand jacket with my scruffy ex-gypsy welsh D in the back. Felt intimidated at first, especially as none of my family are horsey, but we did well in our classes and dad was a useful fence builder so we slotted right in, albeit rather scruffily! The pony in question was absolutely bombproof after his misspent youth and i would often use my phone on quiet roads to let the parents know where I was . . . And we're back on topic! :-)

VamP

Banned
Eventing is Ms VamPs main focus, but the autumn is all hunting. Which is tricky as it coincides with the CX season and there are nefarious sleights of hand over transport.

Anyone else find the grading system for horsey competitions hilarious? Ms VamP is building up to Novice level :whistle:

Linford

Dont think he can hear you matey - his ignore list is now the 8th wonder of the world.

Have you qualified for CA&D yet?

Nope, Can't see it at all. I think the drawbridge is up on that one.

Shame about the ignore list. I was hoping more for Droll that Troll...

mangaman

1713144 said:
Just the small detail about my not being BFF's homeboy, whatever that might be.

Come on Adrian - we all know it's true. Nothing to be ashamed of.

You could use your homeboy status for some precision bin positioning advice for example.

Top Bottom