TF d'you think you're doing?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Seevio

Guru
If it was a car, the indicator would be on. I would expect the cyclist to be indicating also. When his/her arm muscles succumb to gravity they should move on and try something else.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
If the cyclist had been looking to turn right, that would have been entirely different. But he wasn't. He was effectively looking to cross the road.
Have I misunderstood that the cyclist started the manoeuvre riding along the road? If not, that's pulling off on the right, not crossing the road. There is no way any road user would pull in on the left and wait to cross both lanes from that start.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
If I read the OP correctly, the cyclist was not attempting to turn into a side road on the right, he was attempting to pull over on the right side of the road.

I wouldn't have done as he did, but only because I wouldn't trust a following motorist not to wipe me out because he would not be expecting me to do a 'right turn' where there was no road to turn into.

Similarly, I would be concerned where I was going to stop once I'd crossed the road.

Pulling into the gutter facing the wrong way could also cause confusion about my intentions among oncoming motorists.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Ok, maybe I didn't explain myself clearly enough. Imagine a narrow two way main road. Cyclist wants to get up onto the opposite pavement.

Not into a side road or pulling up on the right but effectively crossing the road as a pedestrian might do, so I can sort of see @swee'pea99 's view on this, buuuuuuuuut on the other hand it's not so different to a motorist pulling into his/her driveway by crossing the footpath first.

It would be different if you were in a car, because a car has no option.

Ah, but it does. Or rather the driver does. He/she could very easily choose the option of travelling by foot, or shock horror, a bike.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I wouldn't have done as he did, but only because I wouldn't trust a following motorist not to wipe me out because he would not be expecting me to do a 'right turn' where there was no road to turn into.
I may have a different view of this because most places I've lived have loads of turns banned to motorists but open to cyclists. Lynn even has cycle tracks as arms on mini-roundabouts and crossroads. Few motorists seem to have difficulty with this and, bluntly, causing a low speed crash that hopefully removes the licence of any that do would be a public service!

Milkfloat

An Peanut
If the cyclist had been looking to turn right, that would have been entirely different.

No it would not, it is simply the same as a motorist waiting to pull over to find a parking space on the opposite side of the road. The absence of a junction is immaterial. I suggest that rather than doffing your hat you follow the rules of the road.

Drago

Legendary Member
Speaking of rule, the only place it is not possible to cause an obstruction is a marked parking bay. Dawdle too long holding up the traffic while you indulge in a futile wait for a gap in the traffic to turn and you can get knocked off for it. Never ticketed it myself, but a couple of times have ordered people to stop blocking the road and continue onwards.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I can see both sides of this, on the one hand it's perhaps a little bit unexpected for a cyclist to take up a position to turn right in an unusual place, and then use the gap to pull up on the wrong side of the road.

But on the other hand motorists do that all the time for a parking space, and pedestrians in the centre of my town step into the road and cross where they like. You just have to be patient, and live and let live a bit. If I want to avoid this kind of thing, I avoid the town centre.

Mr Celine

Discordian
1584548431206.png

Winston Road, Galashiels. There is cycle path which crosses the River Tweed which starts immediately before the bridge parapet on the right (blue signs on the second lamp post). There is no dropped kerb there, but there is 20m in advance, beside the first lamp post.
When cycling up this way I give a right turn signal and turn from the road on to the pavement at the dropped kerb. If there is oncoming traffic I have to stop to give way to them and any vehicles behind me have to stop too.
Is the OP seriously suggesting I should stop on the left and walk across the road?

Last edited:
Top Bottom