That's that dangerous junction sorted

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I am surprised they don’t have rumble strips at decreasing distances on the minor roads, that would be a very cheap solution.

OP
OP
Dave Davenport
Ironic thing is, if there'd been several cases of horses being hit by cars at that junction you can bet New Forest Council would have done something by now (sadly, I'm being quite serious). As things stand, sooner or later another cyclist is going to be killed or seriously injured there, probably a visitor to the forest as most of us who use that route regularly are aware of the danger.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Thanks Ajax Bay- read it now... staggered junction does seem the most sensible solution, plus some shrub planting to limit forward visibility wouldn't go amiss!

OP
OP
Dave Davenport
The council claim they can't stagger the junction because of land ownership issues in the national park (something along those lines anyway), can't be arsed 'cos it only cyclists getting killed more like.

Ajax Bay

Guru
They have put in that grippy surface on the approach (as well as Stop signs and solid 'Stop' lines), but not rumble strips.
Of course it's such an open junction that if only drivers slowed (from the New Forest 40mph) limit as they approached a crossroads, all would be sufficiently safe. But fatal experience shows that cannot be relied on to reduce the risk to as low as reasonably practical.
As far as land ownership, a realignment of the minor road would return the same amount of land to grass (whereas a solid roundabout would consume land).

Archie_tect

Road Traffic Order could be introduced to impose a 30mph speed limit but that won't slow irresponsible drivers.

Drago

Legendary Member
Good idea... a speed camera might do it but that'll just stop people speeding past the camera, it won't make them stop at the junction or be more aware. Or a Road Traffic Order taking the speed limit down to 40mph 400 yards away and 20mph 200 yards away on all 4 sides with mobile speed cameras deployed every week or so until people get used to having to slow right down....

This one?
View attachment 533769

View attachment 533770

If people have been killed at the junction then something has to be done- you can't rely on people improving their skills or observation.

Sight lines are fantastic- no limiting forward visibility issues which would slow approaching traffic- it's just people mis-timing their approaching speed and time to cross or mis-judging other vehicles' closing speed. Creating a staggered junction on the side roads would leave cars potentially waiting in the carriageway in each direction waiting to turn right so that's as bad, if not worse.... a roundabout would do it.... a proper big circle with grass in the middle one mind, not a painted one on the road- the cost is irrelevant if it stops someone's dad or mum or son/daughter being killed.
Absolutely, Sir!

I said people were the problem, but in no way suggested that people were the solution.

Solocle

Über Member
I never assume any car driver will give way to a bicycle.
At this particular junction, the driver can be behind the cyclist, so out of view, until the point of collision, while the cyclist sits in the A pillar blind spot.

And, of course, drivers think "oh, I can see nothing's coming" due to the excellent visibility, so don't slow down.

Incidentally, I'd probably be blowing through the stop signs on my bike, knowing the location, because, unlike motorists, I don't have a blind spot. Stopping means running the risk of being rear ended by one of the morons! :okay:

DRHysted

Guru
The council have put a request into the verderers for a land transfer so a staggered crossroads can be built. Problem is the verderers are still in the dark ages, believe it or not they check the verges after roads are resurfaced to ensure the protected verges are not encroached upon. The land is crown land so cannot be compulsory purchased. It is also an SSSI so more restrictions.
The council is restricted on what they can do, hopefully it will be resolved at some point.

"Ah yes, one of the most prominent informational youtubers in the world made a video explaining in detail about how shoot this junction is, let's paint "look" on the road even though the problem is that you literally can't as is plainly demonstrated by the animation"

Find whomever is responsible for this junction and make them ride through it a thousand times. Problem should sort itself out pdq.

Archie_tect

I never assume any car driver will give way to a bicycle.
I start from the same presumption- unless I can look at the driver and see how they are reacting and whether they've seen me I don't cross in front of an approaching car without being ready to stop or get out of their line of travel.

Last edited:
Top Bottom