The 2016 Half Century (50 KM or 50 Mile) A Month Challenge - Chatzone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Thank you, I'll try my best. It's definitely one of my "do before your 40" things :smile:

Of course an Imperial Century is *only* 40km or so short of a double Metric Century, not far at all really..... :bicycle:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I got cut up very badly by a stupid bus driver on this evening's 50 km ride. He did a very dangerous overtake just before a fast descent on a narrow road and cut back in, forcing me close to parked vehicles. Then to demonstrate why he'd had to get past me, he braked all the way down the hill, travelling at half the speed that I wanted to do ...

The bus pulled over at a bus stop at the bottom of the hill so I released my brakes and overtook it. There were cars parked ahead to my left, and one car ahead of me doing the same speed as me. There were oncoming vehicles, and the road was too narrow for the car in front to go past the parked cars without a head-on collision with the oncoming traffic so the driver pulled over to let the oncoming cars pass. I had plenty of room to get by on my side of the road so I continued without slowing down. What I hadn't anticipated was that the driver would change his mind and immediately pull back out in front of me without signalling! I think he had decided that he might be able to squeeze through after all ... He couldn't, and stopped again, with the front of the car now occupying the stretch of road that I was bearing down on. I just had room to swerve round it before the oncoming vehicle arrived.

Aaaaaaaaaaargh! :wacko: :cursing:

Katherine

Guru
I got cut up very badly by a stupid bus driver on this evening's 50 km ride. He did a very dangerous overtake just before a fast descent on a narrow road and cut back in, forcing me close to parked vehicles. Then to demonstrate why he'd had to get past me, he braked all the way down the hill, travelling at half the speed that I wanted to do ...

The bus pulled over at a bus stop at the bottom of the hill so I released my brakes and overtook it. There were cars parked ahead to my left, and one car ahead of me doing the same speed as me. There were oncoming vehicles, and the road was too narrow for the car in front to go past the parked cars without a head-on collision with the oncoming traffic so the driver pulled over to let the oncoming cars pass. I had plenty of room to get by on my side of the road so I continued without slowing down. What I hadn't anticipated was that the driver would change his mind and immediately pull back out in front of me without signalling! I think he had decided that he might be able to squeeze through after all ... He couldn't, and stopped again, with the front of the car now occupying the stretch of road that I was bearing down on. I just had room to swerve round it before the oncoming vehicle arrived.

Aaaaaaaaaaargh! :wacko: :cursing:
Aaaaaaaaaaargh! Indeed!! A close call. Glad you are ok.

Lilliburlero

Pro sandbagger
I`m in shock... I got my lad to come out with me today on my 50 km ride :ohmy:.... Its his first 50km`er and he did extremely well on his mums road bike :secret:

He`s into his sports/fitness and wants to build up his leg strength, so after a nice little chat i`v bought him (well, me really, but he can borrow it :whistle:) a very nice hybrid that should be with us midweek.

Today was a good day :bicycle:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
A day late again :rolleyes: but I squeezed in another metric half into a hectic day yesterday, the first on the new bike ^_^
I'll get the details up in the usual place shortly, and the write up was posted on "your ride today" yesterday. Tomorrow is looking good, both in terms of the weather and me having time to complete another decent ride, so fingers crossed.
Will just have to avoid anywhere around Bramham / Wetherby and Boston Spa as the Leeds Festival disgorges the muddied masses back home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom