The 2016 Half Century (50 KM or 50 Mile) A Month Challenge - Chatzone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kapelmuur

Veteran
In September I pulled the tendons in both feet jogging, I was advised to take a couple of weeks off at the walk-in centre.
During that couple of weeks I sort of lost interest so it turned into 14 weeks, no excuses, just laziness really.

Going to the walk-in centre with pulled tendons in both feet, there's a joke in there somewhere but I can't think of it.

kapelmuur

Veteran
After looking at the road today, I have total faith that the British Civil Engineering industry will meet the January deadline after their Christmas hols...........:whistle:

I had a look this morning. No contractors on site, I guess they've gone for their Christmas break.

It looks like there's a surface on the new bridge but the approach road is a deep muddy trench. Very doubtful for re-opening by the 1st January target date.

steverob

Guru
Managed my 50 miler for December, meaning I did that for 11 out of the 12 months of the year - only failed to do it in January, which considering I wasn't a CC'er back then, I think I can excuse myself! Now that's left me with just 34.5 miles to do on New Year's Eve to get to 3,000 cycling miles for the year for the first time ever!

13 rider

Guru
8th - Sticker (Nr St Austell!), Mevagissey, various little fishing ports down steep hills and then up again up even steeper bloody hills..... 35 miles, 1 point
It's hilly isn't it :ohmy: I holiday there in July and did a 50 mile . That ride had more elevation than my 100 milers round here and I rode 25 miles on the flatish camel trail .

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
The Camel trail is beginning to sound very attractive indeed!
Knackered - 3500 ft of ascent in 35 miles. I may have walked a few* hills.

*Six, plus the short one in Veryan where I was in totally the wrong gear at the bottom, and the little one out of Pendower, where my excuse was the blue sky, blue sea and white surf, my last view of the sea on the ride, that I could admire so much better walking up the hill than riding!

13 rider

Guru
The Camel trail is beginning to sound very attractive indeed!
Knackered - 3500 ft of ascent in 35 miles. I may have walked a few* hills.

*Six, plus the short one in Veryan where I was in totally the wrong gear at the bottom, and the little one out of Pendower, where my excuse was the blue sky, blue sea and white surf, my last view of the sea on the ride, that I could admire so much better walking up the hill than riding!
If you do the camel trail from Padstow. Take the left fork just before Bodmin and ride to the end and find Snails pace cafe as recomended by @Saluki and me .May Google it to see it's it's open at time of year

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I am ending this year in style!

I have a ride planned on Friday with @Blue Hills which will be 50 miles if I don't extend it, but I think I will extend it to 100 km (62 miles) - I have 99 miles left to complete my 2016 target distance and I don't fancy having no choice but to do nearly the same distance again on New Year's Eve. If I do 62 miles on Fri, then I can do an easier 37 mile ride on Sat.

I have just created the threads for the 2017 challenge. The wording is very similar to this year's but I have added a comment about the points system (trying to beat one's own previous best total, rather than competing with other riders - I certainly don't stand a chance of achieving the amazing totals that some of you have this year!). I hope that we get even more riders doing the challenge in 2017.

I'm going to try to get an early metric century in during January. If I achieve that, then I will attempt the metric century challenge in parallel with the half century one this year.I would count 50 km and 50 mile rides towards the half century points, and 100+ km rides towards my metric century points tally. If I start the metric century challenge but dropped out of it later then I would transfer any rides from that aborted challenge into this one.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Looking forward to the 2017 Challenge - I can't see me getting another ride in this year (let alone a qualifying one!), but I'm hoping I'll be in a fit enough state to bag a metric half on New Years Day to set my stall out for the coming year.
Hope to beat my 2016 tally of 77 points too. I've already signed up for a couple of sportives (including a hundred miler) next year so fingers crossed.

13 rider

Guru
I am ending this year in style!

I have a ride planned on Friday with @Blue Hills which will be 50 miles if I don't extend it, but I think I will extend it to 100 km (62 miles) - I have 99 miles left to complete my 2016 target distance and I don't fancy having no choice but to do nearly the same distance again on New Year's Eve. If I do 62 miles on Fri, then I can do an easier 37 mile ride on Sat.

I have just created the threads for the 2017 challenge. The wording is very similar to this year's but I have added a comment about the points system (trying to beat one's own previous best total, rather than competing with other riders - I certainly don't stand a chance of achieving the amazing totals that some of you have this year!). I hope that we get even more riders doing the challenge in 2017.

I'm going to try to get an early metric century in during January. If I achieve that, then I will attempt the metric century challenge in parallel with the half century one this year.I would count 50 km and 50 mile rides towards the half century points, and 100+ km rides towards my metric century points tally. If I start the metric century challenge but dropped out of it later then I would transfer any rides from that aborted challenge into this one.
Thanks for the 2017 challenge @ColinJ and starting the challenge in the first place . All the best for 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom