The 2018 Half Century a month Challenge chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Elysian_Roads

In a bit of a moment of madness, and aware that we were almost at the end of January, I decided I would go for an imperial Fifty, as well as taking the Marin hardtail MTB over to Swinley Forest Bike Hub to ask about a front suspension issue I have (permanently locked out). So today's ride was a bit of bridleway, a bit of off road track and a fair amount of road. Second time out on the Blue Trail at Swinley. It's fun, but on the downhill sections I feel I am the Lion on the yellow brick road to Oz... Also managed to get to the bottom of one incline, realised I was in the wrong gear, tried to turn it round to allow me a bit of a run to change down the gears, lost balance, and slowly but surely went over. Oops and ouch. Overall, a bit cold, a bit windy, and the last 10 miles were a bit wet. The bridleways were like marshes so the bike is a bit of a mess but as @NorthernDave says, it's all good isn't it?......

Lilliburlero

Pro sandbagger
Got January`s ride out of the way today despite a bout of cramp after 31 miles... my thighs just locked up when I got off the saddle on an incline and had to stop to walk it off :headshake:. Cant remember getting cramp like this before, it was excruciating :cry:

Job done though with 50 miles bagged and January`s 100 mile, 100 km and 50 km/mile challenge rides all sitting nicely in the bank :cheers:

Stig's in!
Ok, that and the addition of a points total for him in our rides thread probably needs some explanation.
So, Stig is our 5 month old Border Terrier puppy, who we have been getting used to coming cycling with us sometimes, in a dog specific basket fixed to the pannier rack. The weather hasn't really been good enough for him to come on a long ride so far this month, but a milder day today gave him a chance to join the half century a month challenge. And he duly joined the Caistor C.C. social ride today. Just over 38mile in all. He loved it, having plenty of other riders coming alongside for a chat. and a dog friendly café stop too. Hopefully a couple of photos below
: DSCN0215 (800x600).jpg
DSCN0217 (800x600).jpg

steverob

Guru
A day off work, but still ended up going in to London anyway as per my usual weekday routine (albeit on a much later train). After doing the things I went specifically to sort out, I had the whole afternoon to myself, so decided to have a bit of cycling fun. First of all I hopped on a Boris at Westfield Stratford and took a pootle through the Olympic Park, then out along NCN 1 and Quietway 2, before heading back via the River Lea towpath for a rather enjoyable 10 mile ride, although I could have done without the headwind when coming past Hackney Marshes!

This first part of the ride finished at the Lee Valley VeloPark, where for the ridiculously low fee of £12, I then got unlimited access to their wonderfully smooth one mile road cycling circuit, plus bike, helmet and shoe hire (it would have only been £4 if I'd brought my own bike). Did 20 laps of this course, finishing as the sun set and the floodlights came on. The only disappointment was that for most of my time there, I was the only one on the circuit - would have been nice to have had someone to chase/draft.

Add the two rides together; they were only split by the 30 minutes it took to hire the bike, get changed into proper cycling gear (did the Boris bit in regular clothes) and find my way out onto the circuit; and that gave me my 50km for February.

Katherine

Guru
Well we seem to have 42 riders setting off on the challenge . Good luck everyone
Wow! 42, that's amazing.
It's going to take a lot of keeping track of. In view of the number of people in the challenge, I wonder if it would be better to only make a new post once a month, just editing it as new rides are added.

Meanwhile, good luck to everyone. Hope you all managed to get to the end and enjoy the ride on the way. Especially all the new challengees.

Domus

Guru
Cracking day in South Cumbria. Ride postponed from yesterday (high winds) still windy but lighter than yesterday. Grange via Levens to Arnside for lunch. Caught the bore tide rushing through the railway viaduct. Very impressive.
A light lunch of beans on toast before returning to Grange by same route in glorious sunshine, to cap it off got an early February point. 56 kms.

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Wow! 42, that's amazing.
It's going to take a lot of keeping track of. In view of the number of people in the challenge, I wonder if it would be better to only make a new post once a month, just editing it as new rides are added.

Meanwhile, good luck to everyone. Hope you all managed to get to the end and enjoy the ride on the way. Especially all the new challengees.
I have a system :okay: as longer as people post in the challenge thread at least once a month I get an alert and tick them off . If people want to edit this initial monthly post that's fine .

Top Bottom