The 2018 Half Century a month Challenge chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
It was lightly snowing here first thing when I got up to let the dog out (the delights of dog ownership...), so given the forecast I went back to bed for another hour or so then committed to do other things for the remainder of the day.

Needless to say, the snow-pocalypse has failed to materialise and the sun has been out from late morning. It is Baltic out there though. :cold:

A missed opportunity then thanks to yet another round of incorrect weather forecasting - the Met Office weather warning appears to have been yet another episode of them crying wolf. I managed to squeeze in 20km of indoor cycling but it's not the same is it...? :sad:

I think the weather forecasters had problems, at least locally to me. When I took child 2 back to college this afternoon, left home in sunshine, went through hail, sleet and slush, for several miles and ended up in overcast sky. Almost reversed itself for the return journey, apart from a hail shower just as I pulled into the drive; All from north to south Cheshire!

Another one in for the month.... a nice tootle around the lanes of Derbyshire/Leicestershire and taking in the first Beacon Hill climb of the year. Not a record breaker up that but fairly steady nevertheless! Still 3 or 4 mins behind the lads up it but it was defeated all the same! An enjoyable flattish ride (except beacon) and a couple of well earned peronis waiting!

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Another one in for the month.... a nice tootle around the lanes of Derbyshire/Leicestershire and taking in the first Beacon Hill climb of the year. Not a record breaker up that but fairly steady nevertheless! Still 3 or 4 mins behind the lads up it but it was defeated all the same! An enjoyable flattish ride (except beacon) and a couple of well earned peronis waiting!
Well done nasty climb that . See you did it all the way from Quorn the full lot about 4 miles of uphill. .The road surface is terrible and the change in gradients make hard to get a rythem going .

Well done nasty climb that . See you did it all the way from Quorn the full lot about 4 miles of uphill. .The road surface is terrible and the change in gradients make hard to get a rythem going .

I’m not sure if I’d say it’s nasty per se but you’re spot on about the road surface, it’s atrocious! Yeah did the full one from Quorn lights. Just shy of 4 miles. It was a good 4/5 mins behind yours and @Supersuperleeds efforts looking on the strava segment but I’m just happy that I got up it again. I probably played a bit too safe in all honesty as I could’ve pushed a bit harder but as I was around 20 miles in I didn’t want to burn out!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Is it OK if I join in now.. Did a couple of 50k rides in Jan.
Not been on the bike much since Sept last year and now moved to Wales
gonna have to build up my fitness and reduce my weight
With the hills around here that should be quick
Of course you're welcome, the more the merrier.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
@Saluki good to see you still getting a challenge mileage logged, with the trials and tribulations.
The riding is helpful. I was just going to ride 5 miles or so. Just turn my legs and no pressure to do anything. Told my pal Andrea that I was going out. Once I had told her, I kind of had to go. I rode a nice 13 mile route then the rain stopped so I pushed on a bit. Just riding. I didn’t really notice the miles until I got to Woodhall Spa.

I thought that if I rode to Tattershall and stopped at the culvert bridge, for a think, it might help. It didn’t really. Then I just rode home and had sweet potato and coconut soup. Logged 35 miles, which isn’t too shoddy for a “don’t really want to go but I will” ride.

Last edited:
Top Bottom