The 2018 Half Century a month Challenge chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

the stupid one

Über Member
Yesterday was a lovely day for cycling - dry and still. I, however, was feeling unwell, so had to wait until today.

Today was a less lovely day for cycling - still dry, but colder and a lot breezier. 35 km of headwind to start. And at about 15 km I got my first p*ncture of the modern era. Back tyre as well. Luckily, I found the thorny culprit and was able to pull out that part of the tube and patch it. First time I'd used those Park Tools self-adhesive jobs.

Stopped at Net's café for coffee and bara brith.

At about 30 km my lack of experience with Park Tools patches showed its ugly side when the tyre went down again, so this time it was wheel off, new tube in, and a bloody fight to get the wheel back on. It was easier than last time I tried, that's the best I can say.

Such a relief when the route turned north-eastish and the headwind disappeared, though I was a bit knackered by then. I'd set my mind on continuing to Ellesmere Port though, then continuing to Eastham Village before cutting across to Willaston for a twilight break at Hadlow Road Station. And then back onto the Wirral Way in the dark, always exciting.

Got home unsure of the km/miles conversion, so I was prepared to ride up and down the road for a bit to make 50 miles, but I checked on my iPad at the front door and discovered I didn't need to. Thank goodness for that.

Took me seven hours all told, I didn't pass a grown-up on a bike all day. I'm not fast, but I am persistent.

The big reveal exposed fabulous hat/helmet hair!

Elysian_Roads

One weekend to go warning we have 32 rider fully posted up but that leaves 11 riders still to post a ride. Time to :bicycle:or get posting
Had put off my ride update as hoped to get out this weekend, but family circumstances mean that is unlikely to happen. Intention was to fit in an imperial fifty to go with the metric fifty and metric hundred, as having the three distances as separate personal challenges gives a target to aim towards each month. Never mind, family comes first.

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Had put off my ride update as hoped to get out this weekend, but family circumstances mean that is unlikely to happen. Intention was to fit in an imperial fifty to go with the metric fifty and metric hundred, as having the three distances as separate personal challenges gives a target to aim towards each month. Never mind, family comes first.
These challenges can be addictive but your still in :thumbsup:
10 riders to post now

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
January 6th. Warwick, Beausale, Temple Balsall, Kingswood, Wotton Wawen, Bearley, Norton Lindsey, Warwick. 34.6 miles. https://www.strava.com/activities/1343641480

February 19th. Costa Adeje, Los Menores, Chiguergue, La Teide, Vilaflor, Arona, La Camella, Costa Adeje. 55.7 miles. https://www.strava.com/activities/1415514674
I should have said in the rules all winter rides have to be done in freezing British conditions no going for some winter sunshine :okay:
Looks lovely , I like the elevation profile bet the downhill was fun . Epic ride :thumbsup:

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I should have said in the rules all winter rides have to be done in freezing British conditions no going for some winter sunshine :okay:
Looks lovely , I like the elevation profile bet the downhill was fun . Epic ride :thumbsup:

Sorry for cheating :laugh:. I have plenty of February rides done in our nasty weather am too lazy to post more than one a month.

The ride was quite a slog, the 3 degree temperature at the top was worse than the UK and shorts were not the best gear for it. The ride down was fun, although the hire bike had very dodgy front brakes.

Katherine

Guru
Well done to anyone out today :notworthy:, I was out for 30 k and that was more than enough. It was blooming freezing, that easterly wind was not nice at all. :cold:

Yes! Exactly. I've just been told off * for only doing 28 miles in the beautiful freezing sunshine. I was very glad to be home.
28 miles under blue sky! Cold but beautiful ride down the A580 to Haydock, with a few quiet side roads added.
One of the things that I like about Winter is seeing the scenery through the outlines of the bare trees and the way the moss stands out on the stone walls lining the country lanes. I enjoyed seeing the a John Deere in the distance, ploughing I think, with a flock of birds following.

Haydock race course ( phone held through the railings. I couldn't go any further without wadiny through thick sand, where a part of the course crosses the path)
View attachment 397103

A busy dual carriageway behind me but I love this route for watching the passing seasons.
View attachment 397105

28 miles that's a metric half century gone begging consider yourself told off :okay:

Mark Grant

Acting Captain of The St Annes Jombulance.
Chilly day today. Because of the NE wind I thought I'd ride into it for the outward leg so headed north & east out towards Chelmsford then back though the center of London. A very large chunk of this ride was well within the M25, so lots of traffic and traffic lights! Consequently quite a slow ride.
Did I mention it was cold!
https://www.relive.cc/view/1422222057

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
What a glorious day for a bike ride - clear blue skies, sunshine, fluffy high clouds and an easterly wind blowing straight in from Siberia :laugh:

To be fair, reports of the end of days seem to have been somewhat over-egged this week and suitably layered up under a wind proof jacket it was great to be out on dry roads for another qualifying ride. I even managed to plan a route with the wind behind me on the homeward leg and was rewarded with a PB over part of it. :okay:

Tomorrow looks promising too, so fingers crossed

586CBDC1-91F8-4AE1-95A3-413FD20CE250.jpeg
6ECEF59F-01EF-469D-9A2C-B1EDBF1C0B45.jpeg
F74F830C-1501-46C5-ADAC-835F3BB295F5.jpeg
23816ED6-8BA8-4660-A3A1-4D07822F685E.jpeg
So that’s the first biggie out the way for this year, a nice ride out with a mate to cafe ventoux in very cold but very sunny conditions. Latex gloves under my usual ones and sandwich bags (yes, you read that right!) on my feet kept them reasonably toasty for the journey. I forgot just how lumpy it is winding through those lanes to get to ventoux and the last 10 miles getting there was a right slog, at one stage I thought I was going to bonk! However we made it and two coffees, a bacon sandwich and two chocolate tiffins later we were off for the return leg. Once we’d done the first few miles of the rollercoaster lanes away from there in what seemed to be an eternal headwind, (and the fact that I’m a total muppet and forgot to record the first mile or so leaving there) we soon made up time on the flats and were ultimately able to pull the pace back up to an even 15mph average overall. It would’ve been quite easy to wimp out given the cold snap but the sun and the cracking views more than made up for it. A great ride today in great company.

Attachments

• 167B92DB-CC29-435B-A5C3-10486E12D171.jpeg
    167B92DB-CC29-435B-A5C3-10486E12D171.jpeg
    72.6 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
View attachment 397229 View attachment 397230 View attachment 397231 View attachment 397232 So that’s the first biggie out the way for this year, a nice ride out with a mate to cafe ventoux in very cold but very sunny conditions. Latex gloves under my usual ones and sandwich bags (yes, you read that right!) on my feet kept them reasonably toasty for the journey. I forgot just how lumpy it is winding through those lanes to get to ventoux and the last 10 miles getting there was a right slog, at one stage I thought I was going to bonk! However we made it and two coffees, a bacon sandwich and two chocolate tiffins later we were off for the return leg. Once we’d done the first few miles of the rollercoaster lanes away from there in what seemed to be an eternal headwind, we soon made up time on the flats and was ultimately able to pull the pace back to an even 15mph average overall. It would’ve been quite easy to wimp out given the cold snap but the sun and the cracking views more than made up for it. A great ride today in great company.
It's always lumpy going to Ventoux . Big miles today well done Chris

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
You are all right about that wind! I thought I had better get my half century ride in this afternoon before the nasty weather hits us next week so I went out and did a lumpy-ish 55 km. (Just over 900 metres of ascent or around 3,000 ft.)

The sunshine was lovely and certain parts of my route granted me a good tailwind, but there were some very exposed sections with freezing head/crosswinds which were no help and certainly no fun ... 2 exposed parts of my route are at 400+ metres (1,300 ft) and the wind was bad up there.

I was glad to have made the effort but glad to get home to a hot shower!

Top Bottom