The 2018 Half Century a month Challenge chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
You are all right about that wind! I thought I had better get my half century ride in this afternoon before the nasty weather hits us next week so I went out and did a lumpy-ish 55 km. (Just over 900 metres of ascent or around 3,000 ft.)

The sunshine was lovely and certain parts of my route granted me a good tailwind, but there were some very exposed sections with freezing head/crosswinds which were no help and certainly no fun ... 2 exposed parts of my route are at 400+ metres (1,300 ft) and the wind was bad up there.

I was glad to have made the effort but glad to get home to a hot shower!

Great effort @ColinJ, good miles in not so good conditions. Kudos.

It's always lumpy going to Ventoux . Big miles today well done Chris

Cheers @13 rider, a great ride all round helped by the plentiful sunshine!
I second that!! Ventoux from the south is a little easier I think but not mich

Yeah I’ve hit it from the south before on a loop I did last year that took in Market Harborough to Melton Mowbray. I never called in at ventoux that day but rode past it and I seem to recall it was just as lumpy from the south.

steverob

Guru
Well that was a mistake. Had a chance to go out on the bike yesterday afternoon and turned it down cause I thought it was too cold (my weather app at the time said 4 deg C, feels like 0) and too late, so did an indoor Zwift spin instead. Got up this morning knowing I was going to force myself out no matter what, but took a look at the app anyway - max of 2 deg C today, will feel like minus 3 - just great.

Got all layered up and picked an easy route, albeit one into a cross/headwind on the way out, in order to make my return journey a little easier. At first it wasn't too bad - a bit slow going, but road conditions seemed okay. Then as I turned on to a single track lane, I saw that it was very wet, which I thought was strange as we hadn't had any rain here for a good few days. It turns out that this road just doesn't seem to get any sun and round the next (blind) corner, the ice started. I saw it just in time and managed to slow myself right down, but I still lost control - because of this, it was more of a comedy topple over than an actual "off", but even with all my layers it still hurt a bit.

Walked the rest of that lane just to be sure (was only about quarter of a mile long) and then from there, stayed on fairly major roads, although I did have a near miss with more ice that had formed under a railway bridge that I only saw at the last minute. Eventually got the 50km done and got home and tended to my wounds - grazes and bruising to my left arm that I put out to cushion my fall and a small cut just above my right heel where it looks like the chain or the cog ripped through my sock (all fairly superficial though).

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Well that was a mistake. Had a chance to go out on the bike yesterday afternoon and turned it down cause I thought it was too cold (my weather app at the time said 4 deg C, feels like 0) and too late, so did an indoor Zwift spin instead. Got up this morning knowing I was going to force myself out no matter what, but took a look at the app anyway - max of 2 deg C today, will feel like minus 3 - just great.

Got all layered up and picked an easy route, albeit one into a cross/headwind on the way out, in order to make my return journey a little easier. At first it wasn't too bad - a bit slow going, but road conditions seemed okay. Then as I turned on to a single track lane, I saw that it was very wet, which I thought was strange as we hadn't had any rain here for a good few days. It turns out that this road just doesn't seem to get any sun and round the next (blind) corner, the ice started. I saw it just in time and managed to slow myself right down, but I still lost control - because of this, it was more of a comedy topple over than an actual "off", but even with all my layers it still hurt a bit.

Walked the rest of that lane just to be sure (was only about quarter of a mile long) and then from there, stayed on fairly major roads, although I did have a near miss with more ice that had formed under a railway bridge that I only saw at the last minute. Eventually got the 50km done and got home and tended to my wounds - grazes and bruising to my left arm that I put out to cushion my fall and a small cut just above my right heel where it looks like the chain or the cog ripped through my sock (all fairly superficial though).
A like for getting out not the farmer interaction . Hopefully you heal quickly . I went out at 12 and still came across some wet ice on a junction which was a surprise

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member

A like for getting the ride in and done - GWS!

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.

A like for getting out. I'm still bruised and sore from an interaction with a tram line last Monday. And I suspect you might not be the only one caught out today.

Katherine

Guru
We were also surprised to see a few icy patches on the lanes near Arley Green. Mostly though it was dry, stunning blue skies but a bitter winds that made it hard going in places. I thought the ride was about 50 odd miles but I'd done 59. 5 miles when I checked my phone at home, so, after Friday's telling off for not rounding up my 28 miler, I went straight out again, finishing on 62.8 miles.

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
We were also surprised to see a few icy patches on the lanes near Arley Green. Mostly though it was dry, stunning blue skies but a bitter winds that made it hard going in places. I thought the ride was about 50 odd miles but I'd done 59. 5 miles when I checked my phone at home, so, after Friday's telling off for not rounding up my 28 miler, I went straight out again, finishing on 62.8 miles.
That's the spirit :thumbsup: Thought my ears were burning earlier :okay:

Katherine

Guru
That's the spirit :thumbsup: Thought my ears were burning earlier :okay:
I also took the chance to take a nature pic for the photo comp as I coudn't really stop on the group ride. Mind you, if Mr K had been in when I first went up the drive and before I'd checked my milage, I woudn't have been able to.

Stupidly I'd pushed my ride back to the end of this month, this week in fact due to a bit of bad planning, some illness and a great deal of complaceny: I didn't think it would snow, it hasn't snowed in 8 years but it has. Not much but enough. The roads are largely clear but slushy at the sides and some of the ones I use won't be cleared at all, so that's a road ride out. I have a largely off road ride I can do but the snow is just too deep for my Marin, shod with about 38mm tyres. So in an effort not to be beaten I am about to buckle up and take my 29er mtn bike. This could be a slow one but I have to give it a go today, everything will be frozen tomorrow.

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Stupidly I'd pushed my ride back to the end of this month, this week in fact due to a bit of bad planning, some illness and a great deal of complaceny: I didn't think it would snow, it hasn't snowed in 8 years but it has. Not much but enough. The roads are largely clear but slushy at the sides and some of the ones I use won't be cleared at all, so that's a road ride out. I have a largely off road ride I can do but the snow is just too deep for my Marin, shod with about 38mm tyres. So in an effort not to be beaten I am about to buckle up and take my 29er mtn bike. This could be a slow one but I have to give it a go today, everything will be frozen tomorrow.
Good luck . It pays to get a ride in early

Good luck . It pays to get a ride in early
Wise words.

I did get it in, so panic over. If I'd waited an hour for the sun to come out then I could easily have used the road bike with care in some places but I wasn't sure the sun was going to come out. Also, my early morning dog walk reconnoitre on the Wirral Way didn't show up the fact that the path was better further on, so I could have taken the Marin which would have made the ride somewhat easier but using the FF29 felt like an adventure and it's slower speed did allow me to stop for lunch as well.

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Wise words.

I did get it in, so panic over. If I'd waited an hour for the sun to come out then I could easily have used the road bike with care in some places but I wasn't sure the sun was going to come out. Also, my early morning dog walk reconnoitre on the Wirral Way didn't show up the fact that the path was better further on, so I could have taken the Marin which would have made the ride somewhat easier but using the FF29 felt like an adventure and it's slower speed did allow me to stop for lunch as well.
Well done I always like at bit of end of the month jepody will they won't they

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Monthly update time . We have 39 riders fully posted . 4 riders without a ride posted so @ianmac62 , @Slick ,@al3xsh and @Nomadski please update the challenge .

Well done everyone Feb a far from ideal month for cycling . Good luck for March take care in the current conditions .I normally advocate getting a ride in early but it pay to wait a week this month for better weather hopefully

Last edited:
Top Bottom