The 2018 Half Century a month Challenge chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
The forecast suggested a couple of hours of not snowing / sleeting raining at 10am, so I thought I might squeeze a ride in.
At 10 it was sleeting like it was going out of fashion and walking the dog earlier had revealed that while there has been a bit of melting overnight, there is still an awful lot of snow and more importantly ice about.

Long story short, no outdoor riding today, just an hour indoors at an average of 16.5mph which I'm quite pleased with. Knackered now though!

Edit to add: Mrs ND tells me that while I was busy cycling it was snowing again, just enough for a dusting. And now it's foggy!

Last edited:
I might make it 2 finishers so far this month or incur the wrath of @13 rider!! It's not nice out due to heavy fog.

Elysian_Roads

Happy to report a metric fifty for today. The snow has pretty much vanished from this part of East Berkshire, and in the more sheltered parts the sun felt quite nice. Went out all geared up for a cold ride, and realised it wasn't going to be so bad when various runners went past in just t-shirts, and one with a vest!

More a social ride this morning, on the mountain bike round Windsor Great Park. Just good to be back in the saddle. Ride report to follow when the Garmin gets its act together.

Happy riding for anyone free of Emma and the Beast!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
No wrath today! 50km completed by riding round the block 5 times!
That's a BIG block - most of my local ones are only about 500 metres in length so I would have to do 100 laps!

I could have ridden up and down the local A-roads, but salty slush, chilly fog ... no thanks! I'll take it easy for another week (hopefully!) to let the Beast from the East/Storm Emma blow themselves out and then get stuck in. I am already 550 miles down on my distance target and it is only the start of March so it will probably take 2 intense months to catch up, assuming that I don't let it drift too much more.

I have organised a 100 km forum ride from Leighton Buzzard on the 17th. a 50 mile ride to Oxford after that, and a 100 mile forum ride from Todmorden on the 24th so they will help.

I am officially looking forward to Spring! (As judged by weather, not by some arbitrary date.)

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
@ColinJ, I only made up the last mile by cycling round the block!! I couldn't countenance riding nowhere for 50km!
Ah yes, I get you - I often use my 500 m loop that way, though I can usually gauge it so that I only have to do 1 or 2 circuits.

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Day off work sunshining must be time for a 50km . Checked out part of the route for a future forum ride ending up doing 41 miles . Got the clothing wrong was slightly overdressed :sweat: so used to freezing temps . Ended the ride with no gloves as the thick one were to warm what a difference a could of days make .

Day off work sunshining must be time for a 50km . Checked out part of the route for a future forum ride ending up doing 41 miles . Got the clothing wrong was slightly overdressed :sweat: so used to freezing temps . Ended the ride with no gloves as the thick one were to warm what a difference a could of days make .

Haha, how was the ride? Any issues with that bit around Earl shilton?

al3xsh

Über Member
Monthly update time . We have 39 riders fully posted . 4 riders without a ride posted so @ianmac62 , @Slick ,@al3xsh and @Nomadski please update the challenge .

Well done everyone Feb a far from ideal month for cycling . Good luck for March take care in the current conditions .I normally advocate getting a ride in early but it pay to wait a week this month for better weather hopefully

Well - February was a terrible month for me. I've been laid up with the (proper) flu for weeks and its now nearly 3 weeks I've not turned a pedal :sad:

I'll update the challenge with my best ride over that period, but it wasn't the 50 mile I was hoping for :sad:

A

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Well - February was a terrible month for me. I've been laid up with the (proper) flu for weeks and its now nearly 3 weeks I've not turned a pedal :sad:

I'll update the challenge with my best ride over that period, but it wasn't the 50 mile I was hoping for :sad:

A
But your still in that's what matters . I had the flu late Jan so I now how you felt .I always feel Feb is the worst month better weather coming soon

Top Bottom