The 2018 Half Century a month Challenge chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Thanks, @13 rider but I've fallen at the second hurdle! Woke up with terrible chest pains in the middle of the night of 15th February. Straight to health centre the next morning. Diagnosis: pneumonia had returned in a severe fashion. I'll cut a long and grisly story short: three weeks in hospital, the first half in Northampton General, the second half in Glenfield Hospital, Leicester. Good fun being transported up the M1 in an ambulance. Three chest drains fitted and a two hour operation to scrape all the infection out of my chest. Discharged exactly one week ago. Stitches out yesterday at my local health centre by the same nurse who first diagnosed me a month earlier.

No cycling before I can walk - in the sense that I've to take two walks a day trying to get mildly breathless on each one. Respiratory physiotherapists' orders. This should fully inflate my right lung.

No sympathy sought - I have in fact been superbly treated by the NHS. And collected not only a full EU set of professionals who looked after me but almost a full UN set. The best tick being the morning I was seen by a Peruvian doctor accompanied by a Malawian nurse.

And much inspired for the rest of 2018 by the contribution earlier in this thread by someone who commented to the effect that you can only do what you can do. Good luck to you all.

And if I've learned some advice to pass on, it would be: Don't Catch Pneumonia!
Get well soon @ianmac62

The Bystander

Über Member
Tough break @ianmac62 GWS and better luck for the 2019 challenge.

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Thanks, @13 rider but I've fallen at the second hurdle! Woke up with terrible chest pains in the middle of the night of 15th February. Straight to health centre the next morning. Diagnosis: pneumonia had returned in a severe fashion. I'll cut a long and grisly story short: three weeks in hospital, the first half in Northampton General, the second half in Glenfield Hospital, Leicester. Good fun being transported up the M1 in an ambulance. Three chest drains fitted and a two hour operation to scrape all the infection out of my chest. Discharged exactly one week ago. Stitches out yesterday at my local health centre by the same nurse who first diagnosed me a month earlier.

No cycling before I can walk - in the sense that I've to take two walks a day trying to get mildly breathless on each one. Respiratory physiotherapists' orders. This should fully inflate my right lung.

No sympathy sought - I have in fact been superbly treated by the NHS. And collected not only a full EU set of professionals who looked after me but almost a full UN set. The best tick being the morning I was seen by a Peruvian doctor accompanied by a Malawian nurse.

And much inspired for the rest of 2018 by the contribution earlier in this thread by someone who commented to the effect that you can only do what you can do. Good luck to you all.

And if I've learned some advice to pass on, it would be: Don't Catch Pneumonia!
Get well soon and take your recovery slowly . Thanks for letting us know I always wonder why when people drop out .

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Another weekend approaches and slim chance of a ride of any description, let along a cheeky half. :sad:

Snow and ice, under the banner of an Amber weather warning, gusting winds and temperatures barely making it above zero rule tomorrow out, and Sunday doesn't look much better - and I've another commitment from lunchtime anyway.

Glad I got this months qualifying ride in last weekend.
Good luck if you're heading out there - watch out for the polar bears...;)

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Wow what a rubbish weekend a paltry 23 miles over 2 days first weekend in over 2 years I've not ridden a ride over 50km over a weekend . This weather is getting boring now roll on summer

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
January
10th
- flat route, Stinchcombe, Berkeley, Oldbury, Thornbury, Cromhall, Wickwar - 32 miles, 1 point

February
17th
- Horton, H Upton, lanes towards Tetbury, back to Wotton - 33 miles, 1 point

March
21st
- flat route, Tytherington, Thornbury, Oldbury, Berkeley, Purton, Stinchcombe, 32 miles, 1 point

Total: 3 points
(Well on track for a truly abysmal total point score!)
Still in that's what matters 12 points will do it

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Tomorrow looks promising weatherwise - and just as well because I'm lined up for my first metric century of the year with the two lads I'm riding the Wiggle Vale Vélo (an imperial century) with in a fortnight. :eek:

Best laid plans eh? One of our trio arrived for this mornings ride with another commitment later on, so pushed for time the metric century was rejigged to an imperial half - well 52.45 miles to be exact.
Still, all was well, a good ride, nice to have company for a change (which led to a café stop and a very good bacon butty) and my furthest ride of the year so far. The sun even came out for a bit. :okay:

Top Bottom