The 2018 Half Century a month Challenge chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Thanks for the welcome. Unfortunately no 50k rides in Jan or Feb or indeed since Sept 17, hence the need to get back to fitness. The personal challenge for me now is to keep posting a ride or rides every month.

Hi and welcome! :welcome:

I see you’re quite local.... If you’re looking for extra miles and motivation, we Leicestershire lot tend to get together regularly for socials. I’m fairly new to these myself but it’s been a great way to meet likeminded people and get the miles in for the challenges. Keep your eyes out on the boards and maybe get involved? We’re a great bunch! :laugh:

We were glad to get a 33miler in on the Tandem on Friday. Only our second ride of the month, due to Aussie Flu and the weather.
Hopefully a planned Caistor Cycling club social ride next weekend will enable Stig to get out with us so he can stay in too.

Phew! Stig is in for March!
The planned CCC ride took place yesterday with Stig again acting as ride leader from his basket. A Total of just over 39miles took him within a whisker of 200 for the year, if he had known he would have made me ride the extra 1.18miles up and down the road!

Hopefully he wont have to leave it so late in the month for April's ride.

lane

Veteran
Hi and welcome! :welcome:

I see you’re quite local.... If you’re looking for extra miles and motivation, we Leicestershire lot tend to get together regularly for socials. I’m fairly new to these myself but it’s been a great way to meet likeminded people and get the miles in for the challenges. Keep your eyes out on the boards and maybe get involved? We’re a great bunch! :laugh:

Thanks will do

kapelmuur

Veteran
There is a real possibility that I could miss out for the first time in 4 years. The weather has put pay to the only free weekends I’ve had so far this month.

I’m busy all day Good Friday and so Saturday morning is my only slot left, even that’s a squeeze before heading off to Wales for a couple of days.

Hoping to get it in then, but weather doesn’t look good yet again.

Fingers crossed.
You could cycle to Rochdale on Friday^_^

Domus

Guru
Back in Grange for a couple of days prepping the caravan for a visit by number 1 daughter, husband and two grandchildren.
Took the morning off chores for ride and lunch in Arnside. Lack of trains due to dispute prevented Mrs Domus joining me for lunch but still another point in the bank.

Last edited:

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Another ride completed for March.
I had mentally planned a keep the legs ticking over ride, in preparation for an MCAM challenge ride, either early Easter Sunday or more likely Monday, (weather permitting), but it turned out to be a rather enjoyable ride.
First ride for four months without a buff. First ride for four months in shorts.
A couple of bonuses was; having some woman in a mini playing chicken on mini roundabout, on my right of way. She lost and got a forfeit of having some extra seconds added to her journey as I slowed right down. And then (hopefully), having sorted a creaking seat post, which had been doing my head in during the last few days commutes.
The vista, at today at least, is looking very pleasant.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
With stuff to do tomorrow that rules out a ride, I rounded March out with another cheeky metric half this morning.
Sunday looks promising to get an early marker down for April too.

kapelmuur

Veteran
I got my last ride of the month in this morning, we're off to Flanders tomorrow and so I'm hoping to manage at least 1 x 50km on part of the Gent-Wevelgem race route as my first April ride.

Here are the rest of my qualifying rides for this month.

7/3 https://www.strava.com/activities/1443752775. 57.0km. Appleton (near Warrington) out & back.
13/3 https://www.strava.com/activities/1450711788. 54.3km. Great Buworth circular.
20/3 https://www.strava.com/activities/1462373176. 59.0km. Wincham/Pickmere.
22/3 https://www.strava.com/activities/1465557990. 57.7km. My first time up Artists lane since I turned 70. It's very flat near where I live and I have to ride 13 miles to get to a decent hill - not that anyone from lumpierparts of the country would count his as much of a hill!
26/3 https://www.strava.com/activities/1472712795. 59.0km. Pickmere/Wincham
30/3 https://www.strava.com/activities/1479459943. 52.3km. Including the 10km of the Alderley Edge bypass, I didn't get anywhere near Simon Yates' Strava KoM!

16 points to date.

the stupid one

Über Member
35!

Nice, steady ride, comfortable amount of clothing for the temperature, drank and ate with sensible frequency . . . and I've never felt so ill after a ride. I thought I was down for the norovirus hellride, but after four and a half hours I'm eating and drinking again and feeling more human.

Odd.

gavgav

Guru
I MADE IT!!! Cut it about as fine as possible.

Woke up this morning, to pouring rain and howling wind, so pretty much resigned myself to missing out.

However, the rain stopped about 10:30 and knowing I had a deadline of being home by 2pm, to drive to Wales at 3pm, thought to myself I can do this!!

Horrendous roads, went through 15 floods and a wall of Northerly Wind but made it.

It’s been the hardest month for cycling, that I’ve known since I began this challenge 4 years ago.

Please let April be better!

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
I MADE IT!!! Cut it about as fine as possible.

Woke up this morning, to pouring rain and howling wind, so pretty much resigned myself to missing out.

However, the rain stopped about 10:30 and knowing I had a deadline of being home by 2pm, to drive to Wales at 3pm, thought to myself I can do this!!

Horrendous roads, went through 15 floods and a wall of Northerly Wind but made it.

It’s been the hardest month for cycling, that I’ve known since I began this challenge 4 years ago.

Please let April be better!
:wahhey:you had me worried well done I like a bit of jepody but that was cutting a bit too fine

Top Bottom