The 2018 Half Century a month Challenge chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Interesting! :wacko:

:bravo: bravo @gavgav ?

Yes!

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
35!

Nice, steady ride, comfortable amount of clothing for the temperature, drank and ate with sensible frequency . . . and I've never felt so ill after a ride. I thought I was down for the norovirus hellride, but after four and a half hours I'm eating and drinking again and feeling more human.

Odd.

Funny that, I felt absolutely done in after my ride on Friday ride too - to the point where I really wanted to just go and lie down. Wasnt a particularly long or fast ride either. I felt OK after a couple of hours though.
I need to find a 50km circuit that is all gently downhill...^_^

Last edited:

slow scot

Veteran
2 more over the line today making 36 fully posted up but that still leaves 5 not posted hopefully their just late posting , Missing @EasyPeez ,@Crackle ,@slow scot ,@Effyb4 and @al3xsh . Well done everyone especially @gavgav who took it right to the edge . Looking forward to better weather and some nice sunny rides
Sorry to be late. Will post my rides tomorrow.

Slick

Guru
April's done.
Had a couple of hours spare before going to church and then child 1 and son in law coming round; so why not?
Quite right, I really should do the same as I reckon this is going to be a tough month for me due to holidays and other commitments.

steverob

Guru
Will be on holiday for the second half of this month, so wanted to get a long ride in as early as possible before I run out of weekends to do it in (especially as it looks like I've already lost one upcoming Saturday to overtime). Also wanted to get my first climb of Aston Hill of the year done - this has been my stand in for Leith Hill when I'm training for RideLondon, so I anticipate doing that a couple of times more between now and July.

After I'd done the climb, I headed down to Chesham and then just started to meander around the lanes of the Chilterns adding on miles wherever I saw an opportunity. Very quickly I realised I'd done easily enough for my 50k, so started looking further afield - "if I turn here, that'll get me to 40 miles; add on a loop here will put me nearly at 50, then another 5 will take me past my Eddington target, after that I only need to find another 7 to get my 100k done..."

Of course, these things don't go quite to plan - just as I started to approach 40 miles, my legs started to seize up (and very suddenly too - usually this is a slow process for me). At that point I worked out that the direct route home from where I was would give me just over 46 miles and as it would be mainly downhill, I'd see how they felt once I got back in to Aylesbury. As it turned out, they were good enough to add on an extra 3.5 miles (but no more!) that got me to an imperial half. Although I did get a scare when a kid ran out into the road right in front of me just after I got back in to town - if I'd have been doing just a few mph more at the time, my brakes might not have brought me to a stop without one or both of us taking an impact. Luckily, the reactions were sharp enough that no damage was done.

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
April is going to be a tough month for rides for me, business travel means I've only got 3 possible days to ride (and one of those will be in California on a hirer). So, with that in mind, I got the 50 out of the way in torrential rain yesterday. It was really quite grim including a complete hosing from large puddle + Range Rover!
A like for getting out and commitment to the challenge not getting drenched

Domus

Guru
Very wet in Sunny Radcliffe this morning, rain stopped at noon so cycled over to see my mum in her care home in Chorley.
Headwind all the way so ready for a respite at mum's, only to discover an outbreak of D&V bug on mum's floor. Thankfully mum is ok but advised against going to see her as Mrs Domus has a hospital appointment tomorrow and we are seeing grandchildren in the afternoon.
Stopped at Costa in Bolton for a coffee and watched the local wine club meeting outside share a cheeky little white, from the bottle with floating cork.
Sadly the meeting came to an abrupt end when the bottle was empty and the shouting began. :wacko:

April ride in, no more riding for a week. PSA blood test next Tuesday, advised no riding or night time exercise :smooch: until then.

Top Bottom