The 2018 Half Century a month Challenge chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

aferris2

Guru
FInally got the March ride done. March had me thinking I would leave the ride until the weather was a bit nicer (Jan and Feb is always "get the ride as soon as you can") so this weekend it was all looking good. A major mechanical on the road bike during the week meant that this ride had to be on the Hybrid so opted for the metric instead of the imperial 50. Wow that was hard work even with almost zero wind!

Domus

Guru
Part 2 of the Bay Cycle Way was superb.

The wind didn’t blow but the sun shone. I swear I saw one of our group of grumpy old men smile for a brief moment. One of my best days on the bike ever. I really enjoyed the whole route and would recommend it as an excellent 2 day ride.

Another one in the bag today, an imperial half CC forum ride (for me anyway) with @13 rider, @Lilliburlero and @cyberknight plus a couple of non CC riders who are friends and fellow club riders of @Lilliburlero’s. Bosworth park was the meeting point for us all on this very pleasant Sunday morning, google maps had it as 42 mins from home but I ended up doing it in 30 and so I had a nice break waiting for the others to arrive and took the obligatory “bike leaning against something”shot. We set off a little after 9am and ventured around the lanes of mid and southern Leicestershire, taking in some previously unridden (by me at least!) lanes and picturesque villages. The pace was moderate with a gentle breeze throughout and by 38 miles I was ready for the cafe stop at Sutton Wharf where we had the necessary butties/cakes/coffees and teas to refuel for the next stage of the journey. @cyberknight had a slight “technical difficulty” (a puncture) just after leaving the cafe but we were soon on our way again. A few more miles through the rolling roads ensued and we then began to peel off to get home. 52 miles for me, many more for the others.

Check out CC Forum Ride- Bosworth Lanes on Relive! https://www.relive.cc/view/1470884754

Also posted on “Your Ride Today” thread.

Last edited:

Saluki

World class procrastinator
2 rides again, for me today. I have lost some fitness so doing the 50km over 2 rides is working for me at the moment. Also, I had to go to Boston to do some shopping, speak to the ex about getting divorced. Riding either side of a trip to Boston seemed like a plan.
The morning ride was great and I could have gone much further but didn't have the time. The evening ride was a good 7 miles too long and I was definitely coming home on fumes. I had a teacake when I got home, I was well over 23 miles for the day so it was fine. I have a 23 mile cake rule in place on account of feeling a bit squidgy in the hip department at the minute.

The weather was kind to me and it was brilliant going for a ride at tea time and being fairly sure that I was coming home in daylight too. I need another 25 for the rest of this month to give me 500 miles. I am way behind on last year but not that fussed, it's only an arbitrary figure.

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
End of the month warning you only have until Saturday but there's a bank holiday Friday :smile: for an extra day . Looks like March has been a tough month with the weather we have 29 riders fully posted but that leaves 12 riders not yet posted , including one of 5 originals from 2015 come on @gavgav keep the run going . So time to get some :bicycle:done . Well done everyone who's made it through March :thumbsup:

lane

Veteran
Hi

New to the forum. I am going to join in here even though I am too late to complete the challenge this year. It will give me motivation and get me into the habit of doing the monthly ride. I am coming back from a bit of a layoff and working on recovering some fitness. First ride to record yesterday was 64km from home to Barrow on Soar.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
A shout out to my fellow half century riders... !

I organise quite a few forum rides, but they generally tend to be 100+ kms to qualify my rides for the sister Metric Century a Month Challenge. I was exchanging messages with @Pale Rider yesterday and he pointed out that there are probably lots of riders who would like to do shorter forum rides so here is your chance to hit the hills with us in the NW of England ...

Warm up your climbing legs and sign up HERE. :okay:

steverob

Guru
Hi

New to the forum. I am going to join in here even though I am too late to complete the challenge this year. It will give me motivation and get me into the habit of doing the monthly ride. I am coming back from a bit of a layoff and working on recovering some fitness. First ride to record yesterday was 64km from home to Barrow on Soar.

Welcome Lane!
Would you have done any 50km rides in January and February before you joined CC? If so, feel free to log those rides in the thread retrospectively. I did this when I joined the forum a few years back and they were accepted as part of the challenge then, so I don't see why you shouldn't have a chance to do the same!

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Hi @lane as the unofficial thread monitor as above if you've done rides over 50 km in Jan and Feb we will allow late entries feel free to post away .
I live 7 miles from Barrow and would have riden most of those roads

gavgav

Guru
End of the month warning you only have until Saturday but there's a bank holiday Friday :smile: for an extra day . Looks like March has been a tough month with the weather we have 29 riders fully posted but that leaves 12 riders not yet posted , including one of 5 originals from 2015 come on @gavgav keep the run going . So time to get some :bicycle:done . Well done everyone who's made it through March :thumbsup:

There is a real possibility that I could miss out for the first time in 4 years. The weather has put pay to the only free weekends I’ve had so far this month.

I’m busy all day Good Friday and so Saturday morning is my only slot left, even that’s a squeeze before heading off to Wales for a couple of days.

Hoping to get it in then, but weather doesn’t look good yet again.

Fingers crossed.

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
There is a real possibility that I could miss out for the first time in 4 years. The weather has put pay to the only free weekends I’ve had so far this month.

I’m busy all day Good Friday and so Saturday morning is my only slot left, even that’s a squeeze before heading off to Wales for a couple of days.

Hoping to get it in then, but weather doesn’t look good yet again.

Fingers crossed.
Good luck with that @gavgav

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Thanks for the welcome. Unfortunately no 50k rides in Jan or Feb or indeed since Sept 17, hence the need to get back to fitness. The personal challenge for me now is to keep posting a ride or rides every month.
Ok feel free to post away the whole ethos of the thread is to get people out doing some miles . You just won't qualify for the bronze Star for your signature as this only runs Jan to Dec but personal motivation is more important have fun

Top Bottom