The 2018 Half Century a month Challenge chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
March done yesterday, still trying to keep up all 3 challenges. Time is going to be an issue this month with some unexpected extra shifts at work.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
As I've mentioned upthread, my 'banker' ride for March is the York-Leeds-York Sportive this Saturday, where I'm signed up for the 64.5km ride.
Typically, all week Saturday has been forecast as the one day of the week that you wouldn't want to be out on the bike...anyway, the good news is that the forecast has changed and the rain should now stop at about the same time as we'll be finishing the ride...:rolleyes:

002.JPG

At least it shouldn't be too windy.
And being a Velo29 event there are sausage sandwiches and a beer for all finishers! :okay:

And being a Velo29 event there are sausage sandwiches and a beer for all finishers! :okay:

Well I hope your Velo29 event is better than mine on Tour of the Peaks last year - the feed stations were shocking! Next to no water at the first one, hardly any snacks at the second apart from some 5h1tty tropical high5 powder and I didn’t make it as far as the third, but from what I was told they were trying to shut it early with over 100 riders yet to pass through! The two lads I started it with who did go on to finish it ended up scoffing cakes from Morrison’s cafe rather than the “feed stations”...

Last edited:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Well I hope your Velo29 event is better than mine on Tour of the Peaks last year - the feed stations were shocking! Next to no water at the first one, hardly any snacks at the second apart from some 5h1tty tropical high5 powder and I didn’t make it as far as the third, but from what I was told they were trying to shut it early with over 100 riders yet to pass through! The two lads I started it with who did go on to finish it ended up scoffing cakes from Morrison’s cafe rather than the “feed stations”...

That's a worry - last year they had all the usuals - flapjack, cakes, nuts, energy drinks, water, etc alongside sausage rolls, pork pies and sandwiches which was really good.

That's a worry - last year they had all the usuals - flapjack, cakes, nuts, energy drinks, water, etc alongside sausage rolls, pork pies and sandwiches which was really good.

There is another train of thought though- perhaps if I was significantly quicker I’d have been first to the snacks! Wouldn’t have solved the water problem though, the first one at a pub Just west of Sheffield they ran a hose pipe out of the men’s bog that trickled at the other end! We left feedback on how bad it was so hopefully this year they’ve taken heed.......

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
There is another train of thought though- perhaps if I was significantly quicker I’d have been first to the snacks! Wouldn’t have solved the water problem though, the first one at a pub Just west of Sheffield they ran a hose pipe out of the men’s bog that trickled at the other end! We left feedback on how bad it was so hopefully this year they’ve taken heed.......

That doesn't sound great does it? Last year, IIRC, they had water and two different flavours of High5 (or something similar) ready to go. Plus tea and coffee.
Although I've just checked the rider notes and this is the menu du jour which all sounds good, so here's hoping they have plenty left:
002.JPG

Typically, all week Saturday has been forecast as the one day of the week that you wouldn't want to be out on the bike...anyway, the good news is that the forecast has changed and the rain should now stop at about the same time as we'll be finishing the ride...:rolleyes:

View attachment 399082

Anyway, good news (hopefully) in the latest forecast:

002.JPG

First riders out at 8am, so we might just not get drenched although if it's foggy we might not see much either!

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Well, that's the March ride banked and while it rained for good parts of it, it was nowhere near as bad as the midweek forecast suggested it was going to be.
And while a couple of short parts of the route were more suited to an MTB, the food at the mid-ride stop was excellent and there was plenty of it.
Well, there was when we arrived anyway...:whistle:

More importantly though, I really enjoyed it and that's what it's all about.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
March ride is done and dusted with some CC folks. I had a brilliant time and rode on new roads to me, discovered a new cafe as we rode past it. One to go and ride to in the near future for sure. Forgotten when I was told about another good cafe but I am sure that some kind rider will remind me.

14mph average which is not too shoddy for March. Last summer I was doing a 50km ride and had a tiny bit in hand under 2 hours so I need to get some work done. Stupid job and the weather have not been kind or helpful but I can turn that around soon.

Thank you chaps, I had a lovely time and the cake was good too.

So today’s was a ride of epic proportions- the CC forum ride with @Supersuperleeds @tallliman @13 rider @Lilliburlero from a cool and misty Leicestershire up to Bardney and then meeting up with the Lincolnshire lot and taking in some lovely villages and lanes in the local area. There were many highlights on the way, including but not limited to metric double centuries, a first imperial century and @Saluki having “technical issues” with her shoe cleat trapped on her pedal but battling on regardless to the end! A mad dash to Lincoln to make the train ensued but with minutes to spare we did it. Great conditions, great ride, great people.

ianmac62

Guru
Monthly update time . We have 39 riders fully posted . 4 riders without a ride posted so @ianmac62 , @Slick ,@al3xsh and @Nomadski please update the challenge .

Well done everyone Feb a far from ideal month for cycling . Good luck for March take care in the current conditions .I normally advocate getting a ride in early but it pay to wait a week this month for better weather hopefully

Thanks, @13 rider but I've fallen at the second hurdle! Woke up with terrible chest pains in the middle of the night of 15th February. Straight to health centre the next morning. Diagnosis: pneumonia had returned in a severe fashion. I'll cut a long and grisly story short: three weeks in hospital, the first half in Northampton General, the second half in Glenfield Hospital, Leicester. Good fun being transported up the M1 in an ambulance. Three chest drains fitted and a two hour operation to scrape all the infection out of my chest. Discharged exactly one week ago. Stitches out yesterday at my local health centre by the same nurse who first diagnosed me a month earlier.

No cycling before I can walk - in the sense that I've to take two walks a day trying to get mildly breathless on each one. Respiratory physiotherapists' orders. This should fully inflate my right lung.

No sympathy sought - I have in fact been superbly treated by the NHS. And collected not only a full EU set of professionals who looked after me but almost a full UN set. The best tick being the morning I was seen by a Peruvian doctor accompanied by a Malawian nurse.

And much inspired for the rest of 2018 by the contribution earlier in this thread by someone who commented to the effect that you can only do what you can do. Good luck to you all.

And if I've learned some advice to pass on, it would be: Don't Catch Pneumonia!

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Thanks, @13 rider but I've fallen at the second hurdle! Woke up with terrible chest pains in the middle of the night of 15th February. Straight to health centre the next morning. Diagnosis: pneumonia had returned in a severe fashion. I'll cut a long and grisly story short: three weeks in hospital, the first half in Northampton General, the second half in Glenfield Hospital, Leicester. Good fun being transported up the M1 in an ambulance. Three chest drains fitted and a two hour operation to scrape all the infection out of my chest. Discharged exactly one week ago. Stitches out yesterday at my local health centre by the same nurse who first diagnosed me a month earlier.

No cycling before I can walk - in the sense that I've to take two walks a day trying to get mildly breathless on each one. Respiratory physiotherapists' orders. This should fully inflate my right lung.

No sympathy sought - I have in fact been superbly treated by the NHS. And collected not only a full EU set of professionals who looked after me but almost a full UN set. The best tick being the morning I was seen by a Peruvian doctor accompanied by a Malawian nurse.

And much inspired for the rest of 2018 by the contribution earlier in this thread by someone who commented to the effect that you can only do what you can do. Good luck to you all.

And if I've learned some advice to pass on, it would be: Don't Catch Pneumonia!

Ouch! Hope you recover quickly.

Top Bottom