The 2018 Half Century a month Challenge chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
After last weeks' 75 mile sportive, it became apparent that my bike fitness has slipped quite a bit so I decided to add a bit more climbing to todays ride.
Instead of heading east to the flat(ish) Vale of York, I headed northwest to Otley then looped back along the Wharfe Valley, meaning I got to enjoy the Col de Farnley, the Col de Castley, the Col de Chapel Hill and the Col de Jewitt Lane*.

Just a metric half and a bit, (66.6km :evil: :eek:), but with 2463ft climbed.

Nice day for it, although the sun didn't come out fully until I was home.

Has Spring finally sprung?

* - it's nearly TdY time, so all the hills become Cols for the next month or so. ;)

aferris2

Guru
Back on the road bike so planned a 50 mile ride for April. Started off well, but then found myself facing a very muddy path round the side of a field so had to take a detour. The Garmin was only showing "Off Course" so it took me some time to get back on track. By the time I got back home it was showing 59 miles so had to go round the block a couple of times to make it up to the metric century.

Elysian_Roads

More good weather, and April's challenge ride done. Hopefully more will follow this month but not tempting the w*ather fairy. A bit of a test ride on the Marin, after the fitting of the land cruiser tyres, and the flat pedals. Also tried the Altura jacket. Pleased with all the purchases.:okay:
Managed to get another 50km in this weekend so nice to have had consecutive rides. Here's hoping for more.

the stupid one

Über Member
I enjoyed yesterday's 66 km, which took me along some roads I haven't been along for years. I used to cycle down Mount Road to the Clatterbridge roundabout on my way to work in about 1992, and managed to get up to 40 km/h which pleased me no end. And Mill Lane at Willaston was a favourite as a teenager because of the fast tight bend. Not so fast any more, mind you. And all the times I rode that way back then I don't remember ever seeing an actual windmill, and yet there it was in all its faded glory.
I could have got on to the Wirral Way there and got back home for most of a fifty, but I wanted to try Woodbank Lane to see if it was easier than the muddy end of Shotwick Lane/Green Lane as a route through to the Deeside industrial estate. Yes, is the very definite answer!
Need some frequent shorter rides to build up my fitness now that the weather is improving.

steverob

Guru
Bit of a mixed bag today. Plan was to cycle to Cheddington station (~10 miles, depending on route), take train to Milton Keynes, pootle around the lanes of North Bucks / South Northants for 30 miles or so (an area I'd tried to do before, but abandoned due to adverse weather), then eventually back to Cheddington by train and from there, home. That would give me at least 50 miles, probably more and I'd see if I felt like adding on a bit at the end.

First part was fine - caught the train I wanted and got out into some rather nice countryside. Norhants (or at least the bit I was in) is surprisingly undulating - I didn't tackle a single climb of note, yet my elevation gain for the day was up there with my Chilterns rides. The one thing I did note was that the main A roads in this area were very busy and traffic was VERY fast, especially compared to the major roads near me. I wasn't on any of them for long (by design), but the few times I had no choice but to, if there was a path available, I was riding on it, even though the path surface was terrible - I just didn't feel safe mixing it with Northants drivers at their speeds. Yet on minor roads to be fair, they seemed to be a far more sensible bunch regarding speeds; my problem here was the state of these minor roads - though some of that was my fault in plotting a route that turned out to have about 3-4 miles going down something more akin to a farm track than a road (should have checked StreetView and not relied just on overhead pictures).

As I came back into Milton Keynes, I tried to take the Redways to get me back to the station and ended up getting horribly lost, not helped by a 1 mile section of one of the paths I needed being closed as it was being dug up and that meant I had to take a massive diversion. Eventually found my way back to my route, but just as I was about 500 yards from the station, I heard a "pop", followed about 20 seconds later by the tell-tale "thump, thump" noise from my back wheel. As I was going over a rough section of paving at the time, I hoped it was just that causing the noise (that sort of false alarm has happened to me many times before), but it continued as I got back onto a smooth surface and so at that point I knew I'd been cursed by the fairy.

I thought I'd have time to fix it before my train departed, but for the life of me, I just couldn't get my wheel off - the quick release was completely stuck. At that point it started to rain and I thought I'd rather fix it at home in the dry than continue to fail to do it while getting wet by the side of the road and so called the wife to pick me up from Cheddington station - because I hadn't boarded the train yet, she could probably beat me there. Ending the ride in MK did mean I ended up shy of my imperial half target - totalled about 47 miles (I only logged the Northants bit in the half century challenge).

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
There was a chance that I would extend yesterday's hilly 50 km ride to 50 miles. I went out with a friend and it was a joy to be riding in the sunshine again over the local hills.

We eventually got to Blackstone Edge summit on the A58 and both spotted an ice cream van in the lay-by there at the same moment. We hesitated and then decided to stop for ice cream and a chat in the sun.

By the time we got back on our bikes and descended to Littleborough we didn't really have time to get a 50-miler in (I had another friend coming round for a meal at 5 pm) so I led us over another couple of hills and round to Wetherspoons in Todmorden. They have a seating area out the back where we could sit in the sun and keep an eye on the bikes. We drank coffee, ate biscuits and chatted for another 45 minutes, then I had to get home to be ready for pal #2's arrival.

It ended up a really nice steady-paced 56 km (35 mile) ride with a lot of gentle climbs, plus a few 15+% ones to give our legs a good workout.

More of the same please, weather gods! :sun:

ColinJ

Here's an amazing follow-up to the ride I reported above ...

After the ice cream break at Blackstone Edge, my friend Carrie asked me if I had seen where she had put her cycling gloves. I didn't remember seeing her wearing gloves that day. We couldn't find them and she was miffed because they were quite expensive and she had only bought them recently.

Fast forward to today... Carrie was meeting another couple of friends (Kevin and Helen) near Harden (not far from Bingley) and cycling over to Hebden Bridge. I rode to meet them for coffee and flapjack.

In the cafe, Kevin told me that he had found a pair of cycling gloves on a wall while he was waiting for Carrie to arrive at the meeting place halfway between their homes. They turned out to be hers! So 2 days after telling a friend that she had lost her gloves, a different friend found them on a wall several miles from where she had set off, and 14 miles from where they were discovered to be missing ... :eek:

"What are the chances of that happening!" :wacko:

iandg

Legendary Member
Another goal achieved - My first 300km ride since 2014. Finally putting behind me the 2 years of of stress and anxiety that affected my mental health and getting the fight back. Retired on Tuesday and I'm a freeman now - maybe time to register for the 100km/month challenge

ColinJ

Another goal achieved - My first 300km ride since 2014. Finally putting behind me the 2 years of of stress and anxiety that affected my mental health and getting the fight back. Retired on Tuesday and I'm a freeman now - maybe time to register for the 100km/month challenge
Well done on the ride and congratulations on your retirement!

I have never cycled that far but would like to at least once. In fact, if I did 300 km, I would add another 22 kms to make it up to 200 miles.

ColinJ

One last mention of it ... I have organised a 50 mile forum ride from Todmorden on April 28th but carefully planned it to take in a 50 km ride from Hebden Bridge for those not wanting to take on the full distance. There will be a cafe stop halfway. Some of us are doing the half imperial century and some just the half metric century. You would be very welcome to join us for either distance. Set off at 09:30 from Todmorden, or 10:00 from Hebden Bridge. If you are interested, pop over to THE RIDE THREAD and add your name to the list there. :hello:

Top Bottom