The 2018 Half Century a month Challenge chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A bit better this month - the three of us are in on the 8th!
We managed to sneak in a 50+km ride on the Tandem on Saturday.
But better on Sunday, we managed a 50miler with Stig, route testing a ride to Alkborough, it may need a bit of a tweak on the return leg before we run it with Caistor CC, so a good thing we tried it out.
Our first imperial half of the year, and, Stig's first fifty miler, not bad for a seven month old!
Will pop the ride details on the other thread shortly.
Photo below of Rob and Stig at Horkstow Bridge.
DSCN0239 (800x600).jpg

Domus

Guru
Managed all the jobs on the bike, after blood test yesterday went for a short test ride of 17 Kms for coffee and back. No issues, I'm happy to say so it was off to the dentist's this morning, blooming cold and windy 38 Kms. Again no bike issues so may crack another April 50 at the weekend, another on Tuesday with a visit to mum's. Then off to Mallorca on Saturday the 21st. Five riders and three wives (carers to keep us in check ^_^) Hoping for some rides in short sleeves and no overshoes. Might get the odd 50 Kms in. Can't wait. :sun::bicycle: :wahhey:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Thanks! The same thoughts did cross my mind however this challenge just seems to have a hold on me..... the real clincher was that there were two other nutters who were willing to get amongst it too!!
The weather is looking better for the weekend so I will get my '50' in then. It will probably be a metric one, but I will probably have time to do 50 miles so I might be tempted to extend it.

kapelmuur

Veteran
I achieved my ambition of getting my first 50km of the month done while in Flanders last week.
I didn't do as much riding as I'd hoped as there were a couple of days of filthy weather and I'd taken my summer bike and very little wet weather clothing.

We were based in Ypres and for those interested in road racing the Gent-Wevelgem race passes through the centre of the city, Wevelgem being about 30km from Ypres.

I decided to ride the Ypres-Wevelgem section as my 50km ride, but turned back after about 20km as the route was too boring. It's basically a dead straight road through flat, featureless country. I'd made good time, but didn't realise until I turned back to Ypres that I'd had a strong (and cold) tail wind. The return ride wasn't much fun so I veered south west of the city towards the area known as Heuvelland. This straddles the Belgian/French border and is where the 'bergs' - small but steep hills - such as Kemmelberg, Rodeberg, Baneberg and Mont de Chats are situated.

This diversion took me past Hill 60 Memorial Park and the new memorial installation at Palingbeek for Belgian civilians killed in WW1.

Battling into the wind put me off climbing the bergs which I postponed for another day.

Cycling in this part Flanders is a mixed pleasure. There's a lot of flat land where the wind whistles in from the North Sea and many of the villages one passes through are drab. But it's nice to have dedicated bike paths almost everywhere and drivers treat cyclists with care and respect, we have priority on roundabouts and can ride the 'wrong way' down one way streets. And there's more interesting riding in Heuvelland.

The one downer on the week was have my trusty Trek stolen from the roof rack of my car while we were shopping in the Auchan hypermarket in Calais before catching the return ferry. The French police blamed the immigrants!

Katherine

Guru
Great trip. Rotten luck about your bike.

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Aprils Imperial half done . Rapid ride for me today 50.1 miles at 17.6 mph 2hrs 50 mins . Went through 50km in 1.44.45 at 17.8 mph and it wasn't a particularly flat route 50km had 1400 ft of climbing the 50 mile had 2300ft all the winter miles seem to be paying off . Nice weather for a change shorts and leg warmers and shirt sleeves and arm warmers and still a tad warm at the end

Domus

Guru
Cracking ride out today, Drop Off Cafe was packed with cyclists all chatting away in their groups, then Billy no mates (me) sat all on my own :sad:
Still, it wasn't raining, the wind was very light and then..........................the sun came out. :sun::wahhey:
Bought some new sunnies in preparation for Mallorca next week and got in another 50 Kms

Top Bottom