The 2018 Half Century a month Challenge chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kapelmuur

Veteran
Well done @kapelmuur your unfortunately unlucky number 13 ( not that I'm superstitious ) good luck on getting to 100 points

I’m not superstitious either, but this was my 2nd 50km of the month. I reported the first on 1st December, so I guess I’m among the earlier finishers.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
I really should check my list before posting , back to 12 finishers so who will be number 13 ?

Bugger, it looks like me!
Couldn't go through Tatton Park today because of a runners' Yule Race, so had to back track for part of the route. Then didn't fancy a head wind on an exposed section of a couple of miles or so, so decided not to rejoin a main road but to follow an unadopted road across Chat/Risley Moss. It has been something have been meaning to do for a while. Maps showed there was a route which led to a road couple of miles from home, but I didn't know what state the surface was in. As my bike my filthy from commutes, there was nothing to lose.
As it turned out, the surface was pretty good. Certainly doable on a road bike and the hedges gave me some shelter from the wind. I wouldn't fancy it at busy times as ultimately either two motorway slip roads had to be crossed, or a mile or so of mixing it with traffic which has just come off the motorway, but finding a new route, with completing the challenge was a double bonus.

Katherine

Guru
Bugger, it looks like me!
Couldn't go through Tatton Park today because of a runners' Yule Race, so had to back track for part of the route. Then didn't fancy a head wind on an exposed section of a couple of miles or so, so decided not to rejoin a main road but to follow an unadopted road across Chat/Risley Moss. It has been something have been meaning to do for a while. Maps showed there was a route which led to a road couple of miles from home, but I didn't know what state the surface was in. As my bike my filthy from commutes, there was nothing to lose.
As it turned out, the surface was pretty good. Certainly doable on a road bike and the hedges gave me some shelter from the wind. I wouldn't fancy it at busy times as ultimately either two motorway slip roads had to be crossed, or a mile or so of mixing it with traffic which has just come off the motorway, but finding a new route, with completing the challenge was a double bonus.
Chat Moss is a lot less pot holey than it used to be. I've only been over in a group as it's a bit isolated. There's a couple of narrow places where you have nowhere to go if you meet farm traffic. Once you get to the signal box there is a lovely quiet road back to the East Lancs. I've often added that bit when I needed to round up the miles for this challenge,having ridden to Haydock and back on the East Lancs path.

Slick

Guru
Re posting as I thought it was in the wrong thread but it's not. :shy:

This was in answer in another thread but it does cover what will more than likely be my final 2 poi ts of the year.

You were right, it was dark but I felt quite comfortable for most of the ride until I took a wrong turn or missed my turn would probably be a better description and ended up in Coupar Angus and my excuse will always be that dark didn't quite cover it as it was as black as hells waistcoat up there. It really all started to go wrong not long after that, first my phone went flat as I've never used it for mapping before then my additional lights on my hat went then worst of all, my new fancy 1600 lumen light went into get you home mode which is like trying to see by candlelight.

I started to doubt where I was as I didn't have a clue, so I knocked someone's door who sent me down to Longforgan and I saw a dropped curb so just went for it but soon realised my mistake as I was on the dual. Just as I was trying to work out if I should go back or not I ran over something metal and got a blowout. Ffs, managed to eventually boot the sidewall and came across a huge accident on the opposite carriageway where a couple of cars had obviously lost control and crossed the cycle path I should have been on before going into the fields. I hope everyone was okay.

It was eventful, but it was still a great ride that I enjoyed very much despite the really poor preparation. I didn't really have the energy to try your other suggestion the following night especially in the sub zero temperatures so I opted for the pan flat ride along the sea front to Carnoustie which ended up much less eventful.

Thanks for the route, I would never have went up there without your suggestion. :thumbsup:

steverob

Guru
Just so everyone knows, I will be posting my ride today in the Half Century thread fairly soon, but I'm only doing that to keep track of my points for the year - it's not my qualifying ride for December, as I'll be using it in the Metric Century challenge instead.

So, no bronze star for me YET (probably next weekend for that), but I will get my first ever silver star!

gavgav

Guru
December ride done and challenge completed for 2018 ^_^. That was a hard one, today, mainly due to the wind, but also the mud and floods on the road. I had 5 “Freewheels” with feet up in the air for deep floods :laugh: (I still find myself acting like a kid and going wheeeeeeee, as I go through them :giggle:) Well done to all who’ve completed and onto 2019 for another challenge year.

Domus

Guru
Had to leave the caravan at a reasonable time today so only managed a 35Km ride to Levens and back. However, after the horrendous weather over the previous 48 hours, it was GLORIOUS, warm sunshine but cold in the shade, lots of deep puddles everywhere and water running off the fells washing stones and other debris across the roads but a lovely time was had by all (me). Going to see mum on Tuesday so may get in one more 50K fingers crossed.

Well done to all participants. :notworthy::cheers:

Well done I can confirm Stig is the first canine to complete . You still only get 1 bronze star though :okay:

Well, a bit later than hoped (it was just too wet for Stig to come out last Sunday) but we are now all in. Friday cleared up just enough for us to get out with Stig enjoying an easy route which appropriately enough passed through Dog Kennel Wood, to complete his set of twelve months. He is now up to 1250 miles for the year too.

lane

Veteran
Well I have completed my challenge but only starting in March will not get the star - that is for next year hopefully. It's a good challenge and has got me out sometimes when otherwise I probably wouldn't have bothered. I am looking forward to 2019 and doing it properly. I have done 23 qualifying rides of which 2 were metric centuries, 3 imperial centuries and 2 imperial half centuries. My busiest month was June with 7 rides but some other months only had 1 ride. I have calculated my points score as 38 but that doesn't really count because I have two months missing. Looking forward to starting the 2019 challenge shortly. Although its still possible I will get an extra ride in December.

Top Bottom