The 2018 Half Century a month Challenge chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Domus

Guru
Just downloaded Garmin app to my phone and playing with the various parts I discovered a ride in September that I didn't post on here.
So, an extra point for me. :hyper:
56 up to now compared to 33 for all of 2017

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Well, that's me finished this challenge for 2018!

@Littgull had suggested one of his routes from Littleborough to Dove Stone reservoir near Saddleworth Moor, and back by a partially different route. I rode over there from Todmorden, and would be riding back at the end. It would easily be far enough to get my 50 kms in, and I had the option of doing a longer, harder route home from Littleborough to take it up to 50 miles.

It was a lovely sunny winter day here today, but temperatures were barely above freezing and it had been -2 degrees overnight so there was some evidence of ice on ungritted surfaces. We had to walk a couple of stretches of hilltop lanes on our way out, but avoided any mishaps.

We stopped for a short break at the reservoir where I took a photo for y'all. It could be the last blue sky we get for the next month or two, and I wanted evidence of this near-mythical occurrence! :laugh:

View from Dove Stone reservoir.jpg

We were heading back by a modified route, including a climb NW from Delph to Grains Bar. The original plan had been to ride up the B6197 but we decided to use a steep, narrow parallel (ungritted!) lane instead. All was well as we ascended in sunshine. The problem came over the summit, which is NW-facing and had not received any sunshine. Brian was riding just ahead of me when I spotted ice right across the road in front of us. He somehow managed to get over it upright but I crashed on a patch of black ice before I even got to the more obvious ice that I'd seen. I hit the road pretty hard and had a moment of panic because I felt a hard impact on my left hip. I did some tentative leg movements and found that I was uninjured. I dragged my bike across to the verge and walked on that to beyond the ice. The bike had survived the crash without damage too.

We were a bit more careful after that ... :whistle:

Brian took us back to the Rochdale canal for an easy towpath ride back to Littleborough. I had already decided not to bother doing the extended ride so I said my farewells and bombed back on the much shorter and flatter A6033.

A nice ride to wrap up my challenges for 2018! I may not be doing any more significant rides until 2019. I'll do short rides here and there but unless we have some ice-free sunny days before the NY, I'll probably do a lot more on the turbo trainer instead of heading out into the cold.

PS I forgot to mention - I ended up doing 64 km (40 miles).

Last edited:
Challenge complete for 2018, first club run (and outdoor ride for that matter) in six weeks or more. Just shy of 45 miles today which got me over the line.

Big thanks in particular goes to @13 rider, @tallliman, @Supersuperleeds, @Lilliburlero, @cyberknight and @PeteXXX for their company, support and encouragement over the course of this year, it’s always a pleasure to ride with these guys! An extra special mention to @Supersuperleeds for completing 18,000 miles for the year, this is an outstanding achievement! :notworthy:

Hopefully I’ll get a couple more rides in before month end and finish the year with a few more points. :okay:
https://strava.app.link/qMpYdAOcHS

Last edited:

Lilliburlero

Pro sandbagger
Challenge complete for 2018, first club run (and outdoor ride for that matter) in six weeks or more. Just shy of 45 miles today which got me over the line.

Big thanks in particular goes to @13 rider, @tallliman, @Supersuperleeds, @Lilliburlero, @cyberknight and @PeteXXX for their company, support and encouragement over the course of this year, it’s always a pleasure to ride with these guys! A extra special mention to @Supersuperleeds for completing 18,000 miles for the year, this is an outstanding achievement! :notworthy:

Hopefully I’ll get a couple more rides in before month end and finish the year with a few more points. :okay:

Well done Chris, a well earned star :bravo:

Its been a pleasure to ride with you buddy :cheers:

Lilliburlero

Pro sandbagger
I also got mine done today with a club mince pie ride :mrpig:

Popped a few extra miles in either side just to make sure, as usual ;)

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...

Big thanks in particular goes to @13 rider, @tallliman, @Supersuperleeds, @Lilliburlero, @cyberknight and @PeteXXX for their company, support and encouragement over the course of this year, it’s always a pleasure to ride with these guys! A extra special mention to @Supersuperleeds for completing 18,000 miles for the year, this is an outstanding achievement! :notworthy:

An honour and a pleasure to be mentioned in such auspicious company, and to ride some miles with ya'll... :rolleyes:
Hopefully we'll meet again next year!?

I do do a 50 imperial (nearly) every month and now feel obliged to contribute to the 2019 thread and now feel a New Years Resolution coming on :laugh:

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
An honour and a pleasure to be mentioned in such auspicious company, and to ride some miles with ya'll... :rolleyes:
Hopefully we'll meet again next year!?

I do do a 50 imperial (nearly) every month and now feel obliged to contribute to the 2019 thread and now feel a New Years Resolution coming on :laugh:
I will reserve you a place for 2019 :okay: . Entry fee of home made cake can be paid at a later meeting :mrpig:

Last edited:
Top Bottom