The 2018 Half Century a month Challenge chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I've already pretty much given up, anything between now and the end of the year will be a bonus.

I know what you mean, but I'm less than 60 miles short of my overall target mileage for the year and had sort of hoped to get at least half of that done today - that said, I don't do too badly with finding time to go out on the bikes usually so I can't really complain at being pushed into other duties today.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Finished. Boy, that was a struggle, I've really lost my mojo this year. Under 900 miles for the year (normally approaching 2000 miles) and nothing over 50 miles so I've missed doing my annual imperial century. But it shows the value of this challenge. Without it my mileage would be even less.

steverob

Guru
Stymied from completing the challenge today by not just one, but two punctures within the first nine miles of my ride. Had enough inner tubes with me, but a slight miscalculation meant not enough CO2 canisters. Gave up at that point and got the train home. Looks like my next chance to ride a 50km will be on the 27th, assuming the weather is good. Would rather not have to leave this any later than that!

lane

Veteran
I've already pretty much given up, anything between now and the end of the year will be a bonus.

Think I might be going the same way. Bit of a cold, bit knackered generally, never a great fan of the winter, might just start again in January now.

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Stymied from completing the challenge today by not just one, but two punctures within the first nine miles of my ride. Had enough inner tubes with me, but a slight miscalculation meant not enough CO2 canisters. Gave up at that point and got the train home. Looks like my next chance to ride a 50km will be on the 27th, assuming the weather is good. Would rather not have to leave this any later than that!
Good luck for the 27th

Slick

Guru
Think I might be going the same way. Bit of a cold, bit knackered generally, never a great fan of the winter, might just start again in January now.
Yeah, if you are feeling like that you would be better taking a few days to yourself. I don't think it's the winter thing that's keeping me off the bike now, more just family commitments and entertaining other people's children. (That I actually quite enjoy)

Anyway, don't push it if your under the weather and you'll bring in the new year nice and strong, well prepared to do it all again next year. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Curse this challenge . Out this morning for a few miles to keep the milage target on track 25 would do but that's not 50km is it . So out into the dark and drizzle took a well ridden route to Wymeswold the furthest point from home where it starts to rain heavily . Getting wet now home the just enough route 1 mile from home with 30.9 miles in the bag and the back wheel feel soft yes a puncture . Change the tube in a nicely lit shop doorway which was a struggle with cold wet hands . Made it home another metric half done probably the most miserable one of the year

Last edited:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Curse this challenge . Out this morning for a few miles to keep the milage target on track 25 would do but that's not 50km is it . So out into the dark and drizzle took a well ridden route to Wymeswold the furthest point from home where it starts to rain heavily . Getting wet now home the just enough route 1 mile from home with 30.9 miles in the bag and the back wheel feel soft yes a puncture . Change the tube in a nicely put shop doorway which was a struggle with cold wet hands . Made it home another metric half done probably the most miserable one of the year

Well done on persevering and getting it done - otherwise you'd have to give yourself an official warning. :laugh:

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Merry Christmas all you halfers and a happy new year to everyone
Scores on the doors .30 bronze stars awarded for fully posted up riders ,however 1 of these is provisional due to an admin error I have counted @steverob as finished he's done a ride over the distance but used it in another thread and wants to do a separate ride for each thread .No pressure @steverob but I hate to have to alter my high tech paper tick list good luck for the 27th
So last weekend warning for 3 riders who are fully posted up to November ,Nudge for @bruce1530 ,@Eribiste and @kipster .

Domus

Guru
Missed out on a point today, the plan was to visit mum in her care home with pressies while wearing a Santa hat. However, on Friday evening my digestive system moved into "Fast forward mode" if you catch my drift. 36 hours of fasting while staying in bed seems to have steadied things but left me a little washed out. Went in the car instead and saw plenty of bikes about.

Come on guys, just three more. You know you can do it. :bravo:

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Today’s ride was great. Garmin didn’t start for nearly a mile, but who cares. It’s only a bike ride. I was in Lincs for late afternoon lunch and an evening of movie watching, with a friend. I was going to ride to Lincoln but my friend only knows the way to Bardney, so Bardney it was then.
What is it with BMW drivers? 2 close passes on the A road to Boston, on an otherwise empty road. Both beemers. Both really shifting. On had me heading to the verge for my life.
The trail was quiet. One cyclist on the trail and every dog in Lincolnshire.
If I had to answer the question of “Get a bike for Christmas then?” Once, I must have answered it a dozen times. Apparently it looks new. I did shower it yesterday. I did have a lovely time.

steverob

Guru
30 bronze stars awarded for fully posted up riders, however 1 of these is provisional due to an admin error. I have counted @steverob as finished, he's done a ride over the distance but used it in another thread and wants to do a separate ride for each thread. No pressure @steverob but I hate to have to alter my high tech paper tick list, good luck for the 27th.

Just because I don't want to be the one responsible for messing up the statistics, I went out and did it a day earlier than planned!

Didn't think I was going to get the chance to ride today, but found myself with a gap in the schedule and worked out that I had about three and a bit hours before it got dark, so planned a flat route on roads I knew very well, that I figured should only take me two and a half hours to do. That almost backfired immediately as I punctured (again) just a mile and a half in, but thankfully I managed a quick tube change (for me anyway) and it held out all the way round, even if I was incredibly paranoid about it, checking it was still solid every time I stopped at a junction. But it's done and I get my third bronze star! Still may try one last ride this year, but we'll see...

Last edited:
Top Bottom