The 2018 Half Century a month Challenge chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
August underway with an imperial half.
I plotted a route with some new lanes beyond Church Fenton out towards Selby during the week, so obviously this morning I did a Wharfe Valley loop out to Otley and back via Wetherby - and if you don't know the area, that's pretty much completely the opposite direction. :laugh:

Report to follow.

steverob

Guru
Had hoped to do a 100km ride today, but a bad night's sleep in the heat left me choosing to take a lie-in and accepting that I'd have to keep it to just 50 miles instead. Then a lazy breakfast and an inability to tear myself away from the Test match, brought that down to 50km. At that point, I forced myself to go out before I downgraded my aim further to just a ride round the block!

Having still not re-packed my saddle bag since RideLondon, I decided that I couldn't be arsed to sort it out and take it with me, but at the last minute chose to stuff one spare tube and a CO2 cartridge in my pocket just in case. Glad I did, because before I'd even gone one mile, I heard the familiar "fwoosh, bomp, bomp, bomp" that accompanies a visit from the fairy! Strangely for me, it was my front tyre that got hit - 90% of mine seem to go on the rear. Found two wounds in the tyre, both near each other, cause could have been either of them (one thin sharp piece of stone, the other a smaller piece of green glass). Managed to change it quite quickly and was able to get on my way.

Rest of the ride was straightforward enough - did the start of a few of the Chilterns better climbs, only to turn off halfway up and take the chicken exit each time - intentionally I hasten to add. In this heat, I didn't feel like doing a full out climbing effort, but I did want a little bit of elevation in my ride.

Ice2911

Über Member
7thJan Norwich Salhouse loop plus club ride from Norwich to Walcott plus the Salhouse loop again 65 miles

11thFeb
Loop, 53-11 club ride toMattishall, loop and finish withEastern Avenue. Very Windy. 62 and a bit miles 100km

25th March, just in time, Norwich Salhouse loop, then a club ride to Guist and back 67 miles or 108km Saved ride in two parts at coffee stop. Good to be out with the sun shining and drier roads :smile:

6th April with HOGOTS loop from Hethersett and home. A windy 62 miles.

May 6th
Tour de broads, 102 miles. Not the last to post this month :smile: 1 hr 15 minutes faster than last year.
Beautiful sunny day but a little blowy especially last 12 miles.

3rd June
Home to Holt and back, 62 miles

24th July 50 km with 53-11 social ride including a beer stop :smile:

3rd August a very hot MTB ride to Whitell and back on Mariotts Way 50km and yet another p*******!

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    47.4 KB · Views: 21
August's 50km ride in the bag nice and early this month. As is becoming the norm for my 50s it was just an extension of my usual (15km) commute up into the parks and fields North of London. Never ceases to surprise me just how many little pockets of green (OK, brown right now) that there are inside the M25 once you go looking for them! After getting behind earlier in the year due to travel and illness I'm finally back on target for my annual mileage goal too...took me almost 8 weeks to catch up so I'm going to try to build a bit of a buffer in August just in case.

Another one in...

A rapid-ish flattish ride through the lanes SW of Market Bosworth and some new roads for me.

32.8 miles in 1:49.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1760975124

Elysian_Roads

A ride out from Windsor, with a friend who is practising for a triathlon. A couple of moany drivers early on, but luckily that didn't set the tone for the rest of the ride.

Got to Henley relatively dry, and decided that was enough distance for the training so reversed the route and returned to Windsor. At the midway point, it looked like it was going to rain harder but again luckily that came to nothing so a good ride all in.

Then added another six miles to the tally to bag an Imperial fifty before loading the bike on the car and heading home.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Unusually, a couple of hours free on a Saturday afternoon. Warm, dry, albeit a bit blustery and having spent all morning on household chores, it would have been a shame not to get out.

Looks like the hormones in the deer are beginning to rise ready for the rut. Mrs B was at Dunham Massey this morning and the stags there were close to the paths. Tatton Park for me this afternoon was similar.

08181555_0280_Moment_zpswjr5n2in.jpg

kapelmuur

Veteran
Unusually, a couple of hours free on a Saturday afternoon. Warm, dry, albeit a bit blustery and having spent all morning on household chores, it would have been a shame not to get out.

Looks like the hormones in the deer are beginning to rise ready for the rut. Mrs B was at Dunham Massey this morning and the stags there were close to the paths. Tatton Park for me this afternoon was similar.

View attachment 425651

View attachment 425651

Are the warning notices up yet?

Attachments

• 20161101_110720.jpg
    20161101_110720.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 18
Top Bottom