The 2018 Half Century a month Challenge chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Made the most of the benign weather to add another metric half this morning.
That means I've managed at least two qualifying rides a month this year and more importantly gets me within 26 miles of my overall mileage target for the year.

So, five days left to get in one more decent ride and that will be sorted too - but we all know what @13 rider will have to say if I log a 26 mile ride, don't we..? :laugh:

bruce1530

Guru
... and at last I’m in!

Hadn’t done a decent ride since early November. Poor weather, a cold, family stuff and general lack of motivation all got in the way! It wasn’t helped by a “Facebook Memory” that popped up, helpfully reminding me that it’s been exactly 2 years since some black ice put me in the orthopaedic ward...

I’d been out a couple of weeks ago, but turned home after 10k, just wasn’t feeling like it. On christmas eve, I had great plans, got the bike out, lubed it, pumped up the tyres, then.... put it back in the garage.

But today I managed to get on the road. A mostly flat route planned, with a short hilly bit in the middle.

100 yards from home, I was nearly off! Went over a steel manhole cover when turning, and felt the bike going from under me. Recovered, but at that point I felt like just going home!

Headed along the NCN73 towards Kilwinning, then the main road into Irvine. Paths were quite treacherous and dirty with fallen leaves, so mostly stayed on the road.

Through Irvine (avoiding the cobbled bit near the harbour, which was bound to be slippy) and on towards Troon. Followed the cycle path through Troon (lots of leaves beside the golf course)) then on to Prestwick.

Turned at Prestwick, deciding to go back the way I came rather than doing the hilly bit. And I was hungry, so wanted to pass some shops.

Into Troon. Town was busy with people taking a boxing day walk along the prom. But every cafe was shut.

Pushed on back to Irvine - same story there. Pubs, betting shops, poundland and a chinese restaurant all open -but nowhere for a coffee or cake on my route. Eventually grabbed something at a garage, and headed back home.

All in all, a fairly uneventful ride - but it got me back on the road, and completed the 50/month challenge for this year.

kapelmuur

Veteran
Enjoyed getting out for a 50km in mild weather this morning. Surprised at how wet the roads were considering we’ve had no rain recently, but my weather app reported 95% humidity!

I’ve rarely seen so many cyclists out and although I usually ride on my own I was able to join another solo rider for part of the route which resulted in my ride being quicker than average.

Now on a tantalising 99 points for the challenge!

Domus

Guru
Sickness bug seems to have left the system so out today. Fredericks for coffee and mince pie return via Horwich and a slow climb up to the Blundell.
New top tube bag serves well to hold my battery bank, kept the Garmin at 100%. Should do well for my venture into the world of Audax.
Bike needs a good wash and new brakes on the front before the New Years Day ride with Chorlton Wanderers.
Been out on 84 rides totalling 4,317 Kms which equates to an average of 51.4 Kms.

Happy New Year everyone, may all your passes be safe with the wind at your back. :hugs:

aferris2

Guru
Just back from my second 50 in December. Wow that was hard work. Legs started to ache at about 20 miles then my feet started to feel the cold. Don't know why because I was wearing the same layers as for the snow earlier in the year. That's me done for the challenge this year. 50 points in total (assuming I can add up correctly) which is a few more than last year.
Only a few more days to go before it all starts again for 2019! ...and there's the lunacy challenge to think about as well.

Slick

Guru
This was an unexpected 50k as I had really already given up on the year in my mind but a mate texted last minute that he fancied a blast and I knew that meant a lot of uphill work. But the weather has been magic over the festive so I thought I'd best get my preparations for next year of to a flier. Almost immediately we were climbing high above home and my lungs were burning but I managed to hang on to his coat tails as we sailed downhill to the main road. I had never done this route before so I thought the worst was over at this point but it was really just beginning as we went over another back road which pretty much felt straight up. Eventually got to a main road at Newton Mearns so it was a fairly straightforward run back to Stewarton then on to Dunlop and back on the climbs to head for home back over the hill.

Definitely my final point of the year now for sure and I would like to thank everyone for the motivation as this thread has been in my mind more than once when there was a bailout option available. Obviously, a special thank you to @13 rider for organising all the threads and especially for the end of the month nudge that I required more than once. :thumbsup:

Signing off 2018 with a festive “fifty” miler with the self proclaimed “SAGA CC” boys out to Bingham near Nottingham for a spot of brunch and a couple of festive sherries.

Definitely a ride of two halves- a cracking pacey ride out there and thirty miles into a headwind coming back! Just shy of 57 in total today, which takes my tally up to 80 points.

Well done to everyone who got through this challenge and all the best for 2019!

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Signing off 2018 with a festive “fifty” miler with the self proclaimed “SAGA CC” boys out to Bingham near Nottingham for a spot of brunch and a couple of festive sherries.

Definitely a ride of two halves- a cracking pacey ride out there and thirty miles into a headwind coming back! Just shy of 57 in total today, which takes my tally up to 80 points.

Well done to everyone who got through this challenge and all the best for 2019!
I seem to have read this before ,last year maybe :okay:

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
So as above we have 33 riders completing this year's challenge out of 44 riders who posted a ride in January. Well done everyone
Completing their first year
@kipster ,@RealLeeHimself ,@Rob and Alison ,@Slick ,@the stupid one ,@slow scot ,@PatrickPending and @Cranky Knee Girl
Completing their second year
@bruce1530 ,@Chris Doyle ,@Bazzer ,@dickyknees ,@Domus ,@Eribiste ,@Ice2911 ,@Saluki ,@The Bystander and @wicker man
Completing their third year
@aferris2 ,@cosmicbike ,@Jon George ,@kapelmuur ,@NorthernDave ,@Milkfloat ,@Osprey , @steveindenmark ,@steverob ,@Sbudge and @StuartG
And the originals completing their forth year
@13 rider ,@ColinJ ,@gavgav and @Spinney
Honourable mention in dispatches to @Katherine who had to retire injured having got to November of her 4th year
6 riders have also completed the metric century challenge as well
@Bazzer ,@ColinJ ,@Sbudge ,@steverob ,@Ice2911 and @StuartG
And 3 nutters completed this challenge and both the metric and imperial century challenges all with separate rides
@cosmicbike ,@Lilliburlero and @13 rider
Once again well done everyone and if I missed anyone please accept my apologies
See you all in 2019 raring to go

Last edited:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Another and almost certainly final point for a metric half in the challenge today, giving me 62 points for the year.
Plus I passed my mileage target for 2018 in the same ride, so all is well in the North tonight.

Report over in the "Your ride today..." thread

Congrats to everyone who's achieved the challenge this year and good luck to everyone who is starting the whole thing again in a couple of days.

Top Bottom