The 2019 Half Century a month Challenge chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
Here's the problem.
At this time of year I only get to ride at weekends. Due to the weather, mainly ice, it's now three weeks since my last ride and despite turbo sessions I'm in danger of going stir crazy.

While tomorrow looks like being largely dry, it's going to be very windy - the Met Office reckon average windspeeds of 25mph and gusting well over 50mph.

That could be a bit lively out on the bike.
I've binned rides off at considerably lower wind speeds.

But...the forecast direction of the wind looks lined up pretty much perfectly with a straight run to York, 24 miles away. And imagine the average speed!

Obviously the return journey would be grim, but there is always the train home.
And if I got off a station further along the line I'd be able to add enough miles to get a metric half in. :whistle:

For some reason Mrs ND isn't too keen on the idea.

What to do...?
I was thinking about a duvet day. :surrender:

Fiona R

Formerly known as Cranky Knee Girl
Here's the problem.
At this time of year I only get to ride at weekends. Due to the weather, mainly ice, it's now three weeks since my last ride and despite turbo sessions I'm in danger of going stir crazy.

While tomorrow looks like being largely dry, it's going to be very windy - the Met Office reckon average windspeeds of 25mph and gusting well over 50mph.

That could be a bit lively out on the bike.
I've binned rides off at considerably lower wind speeds.

But...the forecast direction of the wind looks lined up pretty much perfectly with a straight run to York, 24 miles away. And imagine the average speed!

Obviously the return journey would be grim, but there is always the train home.
And if I got off a station further along the line I'd be able to add enough miles to get a metric half in. :whistle:

For some reason Mrs ND isn't too keen on the idea.

What to do...?
Who listens to their OH's? :wacko:

lane

Veteran
From what I have seen there is a good chance of a cold and icy second half of the month. I have my eye on late afternoon tomorrow when the wind looks like it will moderate but stays at about 8 degrees. It was frustrating being at work one day this week when the weather looked OK for a ride. But that is the challenge I can knock off 7 50km rides in June but getting the winter ones in is the hard bit.

lane

Veteran
Well I waited for the wind to moderate which I think it did to an extent and eventually got out at 4pm. Managed my 50k for February and got back in the dark. Also collected two signs for the ABC challenge. It was a day that without the challenge I would not have got out but I enjoyed it.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Well, I've finally got a ride in this month, so I'm still in the hunt! :okay:

My first outdoor bike ride in nearly three weeks and it was needed before I went stir crazy

Actually a rather nice day out there for the time of year and it was good to finally get some miles under the wheels, rather than plugging away on the turbo.

Last edited:

bruce1530

Guru
Managed to get a 50 in this morning. Only my second ride of the year - been otherwise occupied by family stuff, work, other projects, and bad weather and a general lack of mojo didn’t help.

But this morning’s forecast looked OK. BBC said it’d be 7 degrees, gentle breeze and only 10% chance of rain.

Out about 9.30. Weather looked fine, but a bit chilly. As I made my way across to the garage to get the bike, I noticed ice on a puddle, the “7 degrees” was a bit optimistic.

I had a 65k trip planned - although I knew I’d hardly been on the bike recently.

Followed the main road until I reached the NCN7, then followed it to Kilwinning. Maybe it was the cold, maybe the gravelly surface on that road, or maybe I was being overcautious in case of ice, but I seemed to take ages to get there.

Back onto a road, and through Irvine town centre, around some industrial areas, and on towards Dundonald.

20k down, and I’m passing the Garden Centre at Dundonald. It had been heavy going. Thought about grabbing a coffee, but decided to push on to Symington. Just as I left Dundonald, another cyclist joined the road a couple of hundred yards ahead. That gave me a target, and gave me someone to keep up with on the hilly section. Passed on a second coffee opportunity at the next garden centre, and headed towards some farm roads between Tarbolton and Mauchine. I’d never been on those particular roads - they were a bit lumpy - but I wanted to pick up a few Veloviewer tiles. Really enjoyable section - fine weather, and some great views.

The plan had been to head from there towards Coylton, and loop round to the south of Ayr. But at that point, the 10% chance of rain happened. And it was heavy stuff. The wind also got up - into my face of course. I decided to cut the trip short and head directly for Ayr, so followed the main road through Mossblown and past Auchincruive college, to Ayr. 51k on the clock when I reached the station, train to Kilwinning, then another 6k to get me home.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Not sure whether it's on for me to like that? We just ignore each other and every now and then he submits and comes on a ride with me but same difference he has his golf. Win win!

Yesterday being a case in point, will elaborate later
Funnily enough, I have been on 2 cycling holidays with my ex recently!

We rode the (Morecambe) Bay Way together in 2017 (with an extra day round Coniston and Windermere) and we took our bikes to a cottage near Barmouth last year. I sometimes do a day by myself or add some distance on at the end of the day if she has had enough.

Slick

Guru
Like a lot of others, I feel like I'm struggling to get my qualifying rides in. The weather hasn't been that bad here and I'm getting lots of commute rides in but come the weekend opportunities for something a bit more interesting seem few and far between for various reasons. Today was my first chance to get away on my own but you really have to wait and see if the weather will be kind as the forecasts round here have been poor of late. So as daylight broke it became obvious it was going to be a good day, so got all the gear out and went to get the bike and got quite a shock as I stepped outside and nearly went on my backside on some ice that had formed on the drive. :cold:

With the big boy pants on I immediately headed for Neilston and against my better judgement went over the hill on the farm roads rather than use the main road. It takes the low winter sun out the equation but you are climbing straight away before you even get a chance to warm up.
I did meet the usual mix of farmer vehicles and dog walkers but all was pretty quiet over to Newton Mearns but that soon changed on the run heading back towards Stewarton that felt really busy for some reason as it was still early and is usually a quiet country back road. No real issues though as everyone seemed to be on their best behaviour and gave me loads of room, so I was able to enjoy the sunshine as the temperature rose. Stopped in Stewarton for tea and cake which is always nice before heading home via Dunlop on the back roads again which gives me a good downhill finish.

Domus

Guru
Out again with the Chorlton Wanderers, this time a tour around Dunham Massey, we seemed to have a headwind most of the day. The pub lunch coincided with a brief but heavy hail shower. Good timing methinks. City Centre Manchester is awful, each time I go down there the roadworks and diversions are different. This time there was a diversion on a diverted route. :cursing:

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
Did February's on Saturday - bit windier than 'd like for a 100K ride but it is probably the only weekend when I definitely have the time - and Sunday looked a bit wet - I love having to cycle downhill in 40mph headwinds....Anyhoo

102Km - Blaby - Willoughby Waterlys - Ashby Magna - Dunton Bassett -Frolesworth - Claybrooke Parva -Mnks Kirby -Withybrook - Shilton -Brinklow - Easenhall - Pailton - Monks Kirby - Brinklow - Shilton - Pailton - Monks Kirby -Claybrooke Parva - Ullesthorpe - Gilmorton - Ashby Magna - Countersthorpe - Blaby

So most of the first 40K was into a headwind, of course it calmed down a lot for the way home but it was a bit easier with a 18mph tailwind. Then back home to finish changing the drivetrain on my hybrid (new shifters, brake levers, chain, cassette, cleaned and serviced other bits - works fine! :smile: ). Managed a wet 11km run on Sunday too....

Feb done.

Weather too good today not to get out and do a bit, setting off just after 4pm to take in the last of the sunshine but my oh my did it drop cold when it finally went down!

Chose a hilly route as practice for the end of the months jolly to Spain, and it was a nice steady paced ride as I’d forgotten my water bottle so didn’t want to overcook it. Climbs included Stanton under Bardon, Sharply hill, Oaks in Charnwood and Swannington to complete over 2,000ft of up.

22DC9537-54C6-4FA7-A7AA-C81859DC86F5.jpeg

https://www.relive.cc/view/2139400251

A bit of jiggery-pokery yesterday and we three are all in for February!
Miles are a bit down this month, we are blaming the weather of course.

So yesterday a plan was hatched - a morning 50km's (32miles) on the tandem was followed by a 40 minute break to change bikes and get Stig out for his February 50km (33mile) ride. Turned out to be a good days riding, just a tad under 66 miles in all, on probably the best day of February so far - round here at least.

Top Bottom