The 2019 Half Century a month Challenge chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
51 km wander around the Vale of Glamorgan Barry Cardiff Wenvoe Twyn Yr Odyn St Nichoas Rhoose.

Perfect weather had to take one layer off mid ride.

full.jpg

Bike is an ally Felt VR50

The Plaque on the stone is a tribute to the quarrymen of the area and a handy place to stop for a breather and a banana.

Last edited:
I had a day off work so once Mr Sky man had been to fit my Q box I took full advantage of the mild conditions and sunshine to get out and do a bit, today was a 50 mile loop down to Lutterworth and back.

It seemed to be a southerly wind as it was against on the way down and with me on the way back. I took in some familiar roads and villages en route to Lutterworth which was made better by the fact they were virtually traffic free for the most part. Then it was new stuff after so long.

Called in at a service station once there and had a quick ten mins break, chomping on a mars bar and guzzling a lucozade before heading back with the wind with me.

Again on the way back initially it was new roads and villages for the most part until I got to the outskirts of Leicester and there was no real climbing of note, a few gradual drags and the odd punchy number here and there but nothing to write home about.

All in all a very steady 50 miles in 3:13, averaging just shy of 16mph on a very sunny and pleasant route.
https://www.relive.cc/view/2143545182

8665A964-7E98-43F0-A40D-19A0E3958B8F.jpeg

Last edited:

Domus

Guru
It was very sunny in Sunny Radcliffe this morning so went out for a gentle spin before my first Audax on Saturday. The Drop Off Cafe in Edenfield has reopened so that was first port of call. Refuelled by beans on toast and coffee I decided to "do" Holcombe Hill, after that I decided to loop through Bolton to get up to 50 Kms. So my gentle spin out ended up at 54 Kms and 500 m of ascent. Bike washed, flints and bits of glass removed from tyres, chain lubed and wiped ready for my baptism of fire. :eek:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Blimey, who turned the thermostat up? :sun:

Another point today and although it was hard work, looking back it was worth the effort.
Got a few new roads under the wheels and said hello to a genuine legend* too so all is good.

The bike is filthy, but I'm hoping to get out again tomorrow morning (although maybe not for a half century), so no point cleaning it just yet. ;)

* - all will be revealed in the report over on Your Ride Today...:whistle:

Domus

Guru
Completed my first Audax today. 121Kms and 1500 metres of climbing. My main concern was being timed out due the amount of climbing and the headwind on the climb out of Blackburn and the relentless drag up to Owd Bett's. Anyway got in with 20 mins to spare and not the last in, 7 behind me apparently.

Is it normal for people to set off before the designated start time? I arrived 40 minutes early checked in then got my bike out of the car with 30 mins to go as several people set off.

First 3 pointer of the year :biggrin:

lane

Veteran
Out today in glorious springlike weather and sunshine made such change. A 54km ride with the aim of the route being to collect two signs for the ABC photo challenge. Set off from home and cycled through Elvaston (of country park fame) to collect E and then via Aston on Trent, Weston on Trent, Stenson and into Findern to collect the F. Went into the post office in Findern to buy a sandwich and sat opposite on a bench in a nice grass area in the sun to eat it. Returned via the same route more or less.

Loads of cyclists out today, all seemed to be whizzing past me, as if to remind me of how much speed I have lost over the winter. Saw a couple of barges on the canal also no doubt taking advantage of the warm sunny weather.

Weather forecast for next week and into the weekend still in double figures so might be able to make it three rides in February which would be a nice surprise.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Two rides yesterday, an hour apart.
Firstly, 20 hard miles around the Peak District, taking in Mam Tor, Jacob's Ladder (downhill..) plus several other tough rocky climbs.
Then, as a leg spinner to loosen up, 15 miles on the Monsal Trail, an old railway line, now a recreational trail.

Total 35 miles, but not claiming a point as it was 2 separate rides.

aferris2

Guru
What a fantastic day of sunshine!! Had worried that the wind might make it a bit hard work as my planned route was with the wind on the way out and against on the way back (yes - poor planning I know). In the end the sun made up for it and it wasn't too windy anyway. My aim was to collect a few more veloviewer squares and increase the max square (now up one to 19 * 19). I didn't plan to try the ABC challenge, but found myself looking at the sign for Abess Roding so had to stop for a picture. Bannister Green and Cock Green followed soon after, so it looks like I have another challenge on my hands.

Houthakker

A Happy Wanderer
Got my third qualifying ride in for this month. Went out with a route in mind to start the ABC challenge. Got the A, then missed the B! After a bit of scrabbling around found a B and a C. Also got a bit or mud plugging in between A and B- Came as a shock to my cross bike thats only used to being on the road.
I do like this challenge as its got me out on some days wheer I might otherwise have wavered and stayed in.

Domus

Guru
Went out to visit mum in her care home in Chorley, I thought a gentle flatish ride would ease my poor quads after my epic ride on Saturday.
Weather forecast was wrong again, cold and blustery conditions made it much harder than I expected.

So that's it for several weeks. Hope to make it back for March 31.
Hope I don't lose too much fitness. (I haven't got that much to be honest)

bluenotebob

Veteran
After the mist finally cleared late in the morning, it turned into a mostly sunny day with a cooling breeze coming from the south. I got out on the bike just after 14.30 and did an anti-clockwise loop out west of here. A bit nippy under the trees but otherwise a beautiful mid-February day out on the bike. 53km and I’m tired this evening …

No photos today but here’s a map of my route (I used MS Paint on a slightly blurry map scan, so apologies if it’s not very clear)

Map for 19022019.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom