The 2019 Half Century a month Challenge chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I opened my front door this morning … 10 degrees cooler than yesterday, I could hear the wind in the trees on the other side of the lake for the first time in a couple of weeks, and it was warmer inside my house than outside. Normal service has been resumed….

I wasn’t sure where I was going to ride today, nor for how long. The strength of the W wind was carrying me along at such a pace that I decided to let it carry me for one hour, then spend the next two hours or so getting home, and try and get another 50km ride out of it. After 64 minutes (in which I’d covered an astonishing – to me – 21.02km), I decided to turn into the wind and gradually ease myself back towards home. Easier said than done. In places my speed was below 8kph and on one occasion a gust nearly had me in the ditch. I ended up doing a partial circumnavigation of the western edge of the Forêt de Paimpont, and then a few kilometres of the V3(S) so as to position myself SW of home, to have a gentle ride back for the last few kilometres.

21km in the first hour at breakneck speed, then another three hours (including stops) to do a further 37km….
On windy days I always try to plan my routes so the tailwind is on the way back ... that's usually enough to ensure the wind drops to nothing at halfway!!

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Monthly report we have 40 riders fully posted up as we had a couple of late declarations . 3 riders with a Jan ride are yet to post a Feb ride , paging @demro ,@L Q and @Katherine ( who I am certain has done a ride but not updated the challenge thread) . Well done everyone and congrats to @kapelmuur the first to post a March ride

Last edited:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
With more mild and dry weather, it made sense to grab the March banker while the going was good as you never can tell at this time of the year.
Nothing fancy, just familiar roads combined to get the miles in while keeping out of the worst of the breeze, which was only really a problem on a couple of stretches on the homeward leg.

March done.

A 43 miler from Estepona to Marbella and back which was a ride of two halves- the first being the equivalent of the Fred Whitton classic with near 20% climbs with alarming regularity and the latter a 24.5 mph 6-mile thrashfest down what can only be described as the Spanish equivalent of the A1!

Had a few beers on the sunny harbour at Marbella and called in at Puerto Banus on the way back to admire the playboys’ boatyard....

Earned my tan-line badge of honour as well today! :okay:

42.9 in 2:52.
https://strava.app.link/YILX9QzBJU
F0C34F4A-54B1-4C0B-8F9C-3B406785B969.jpeg
B55E054A-9FC0-4485-8135-DF6430C8BF8E.jpeg
07320C74-76CF-496D-B6F6-1160B876EB17.jpeg
281AF18D-9E60-4C3D-852B-F2CB6ACAFB24.jpeg
08F36D8E-988A-437C-A5C6-20B7A63DB9A5.jpeg
1D3ED431-7A58-4CDA-AC98-3A27D6051B28.jpeg
3F6E1B6C-C976-40E9-BB2C-883B3A78238D.jpeg

bluenotebob

Veteran
Agreed @NorthernDave - you never can tell at this time of year. One thing's for sure - Storm Freya arrives here tomorrow, promptly followed by her siblings, so the chances of getting out on the bike again before Tuesday look very bleak. So I stretched my legs this afternoon, and had a good run out. I suppose that I could now spend the next 29 days in front of the fire without a care in the world.

lane

Veteran
With more mild and dry weather, it made sense to grab the March banker while the going was good as you never can tell at this time of the year.
Nothing fancy, just familiar roads combined to get the miles in while keeping out of the worst of the breeze, which was only really a problem on a couple of stretches on the homeward leg.

Absolutely agree - unfortunately a mechanical a couple of miles from home frustrated my effort.

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Off the mark for March did my usual 50km loop to St Bernards Abbey notable because it was my first ride on my new bike ^_^

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
No new bike likely for me anytime soon,just as well I like the ones I have :-)
Marches 50km done 52 km along the Glamorgan Coast and Back.

Small detour to see the old Windmill tower at Wick now converted into a modern house. The top bit has been missing as long as I remember.
IMG_1131.JPG

Carried on back through Aberthaw and Rhoose stopped briefly to get a pic of the Blue anchor Pub where people have been waiting for a pint since 1380 :-)

IMG_1133.JPG

Had a welcome tailwind homeward .

Camera time stamp is set to BST hardly worth the effort now.Roll on summertime.

Good Luck everyone else doing the various challenges.

Last edited:

Fiona R

Formerly known as Cranky Knee Girl
In the Lakes for the weekend and took the mtbs. Somehow managed to get out between the rain and wind then on Sunday night it snowed. Monday we did a tour of Skiddaw from Mungrisdale. it was better than the pics! what a Monday. Then realised it was 51km so March 50km done too. Just a perfect day on the bikes, even if you cannot see the wind.
upload_2019-3-5_15-49-46.png

upload_2019-3-5_15-54-56.png

upload_2019-3-5_15-55-49.png

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
In the Lakes for the weekend and took the mtbs. Somehow managed to get out between the rain and wind then on Sunday night it snowed. Monday we did a tour of Skiddaw from Mungrisdale. it was better than the pics! what a Monday. Then realised it was 51km so March 50km done too. Just a perfect day on the bikes, even if you cannot see the wind.
View attachment 456051

View attachment 456053

View attachment 456054
Looks like you had some interesting riding conditions

Top Bottom