The 2019 Half Century a month Challenge chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Today’s attempt aborted at 2 miles after being caught in a massive Hailstorm!! That hurts!

Probably only 1 more opportunity left, on the last weekend in March, when we open the caravan up again, in Wales and so I’m crossing fingers for some better weather
At least you were only 2 miles from home could have been worst at 20 . Another month of jepody of will Gav get a ride in . Here's hoping for better weather

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Got my March ride done today. I had to abort a planned 100km club ride due to being right off the pace, I really struggled from the off and so I decided to split after 6 miles and plod around on my own for a 50km.

Horrid day on the bike, it happens.
A like for getting a 50km in . Hope you pick up soon . You did the right thing bailing early would have been a long day hanging on the back

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I passed 1000km on Sunday (yes, I know – most of you passed it in January)
Ha ha - I am way behind my target - I have only done 690 km so far in 2019, so well done! :laugh:

A like for getting a 50km in . Hope you pick up soon . You did the right thing bailing early would have been a long day hanging on the back
I second that!

We had heavy rain produce flooding here yesterday so I stayed off my bike. It is a lovely dry, sunny day today and I was tempted to go out and do my '50' but I just took some plastic out to the recycling box in my backyard and discovered that there is still a really strong gusting wind. I'll give it a miss today.

I'm sure I will get the half metric in during the week and I will be aiming for a 100-miler for my 'lunacy challenge' on Saturday. If any of you fancy joining me for the very flat 100 mile (100 km option) ride in Yorkshire, nip over to my Garforth forum ride thread and sign up.

lane

Veteran
Got my March 50km in today. Decided to go out this afternoon and see how I felt not committed to getting the 50km in. Next weekend looks better so not too bothered. Anyway headed west into the wind and when I got to 25km turned round and headed home with the wind behind me (more or less). Enjoyed the ride had some sun and sharp showers but didn't feel cold apart from my feet. Why I didn't put my winter boots on not sure. Anyway glad ro get the first March ride in after a slow start to the month. Felt stronger than when I did the same ride in Feb.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
An unexpected stupid o'clock ride this mornin due to a change of plans.
I was out of the door before 04.00 :ohmy:
with a chilly wind blowing in my face for the first 30 miles, before heading north for a while then a tailwind for the rest of the ride.
Back home on 104km for my March metric ton with very cold toes, but with 3 points in the bag!!

_20190317_201748.JPG

More ride details posted in The Other Place.

:smile:

steverob

Guru
Today’s attempt aborted at 2 miles after being caught in a massive Hailstorm!! That hurts!
Count yourself lucky, my hailstorms hit at 30 and at 40 miles in - both times between villages with no possibility of finding decent shelter. The first one wasn't too bad and quite short so I just rode through it, but the second was a real face stinger and went on for ages, so I parked the bike up on a grass verge and tried to hide in a hedge!

Probably only 1 more opportunity left, on the last weekend in March, when we open the caravan up again, in Wales and so I’m crossing fingers for some better weather
Ouch! Yes the hail this weekend was pretty nasty at times ... to put it mildly!

Count yourself lucky, my hailstorms hit at 30 and at 40 miles in - both times between villages with no possibility of finding decent shelter. The first one wasn't too bad and quite short so I just rode through it, but the second was a real face stinger and went on for ages, so I parked the bike up on a grass verge and tried to hide in a hedge!

I suspect we were out yesterday in exactly the same hailstorms Steve. Fortunately I was pretty close to home for the worst of them so just pushed on.

ColinJ

I suspect we were out yesterday in exactly the same hailstorms Steve. Fortunately I was pretty close to home for the worst of them so just pushed on.
It has been about 20 years since I last experienced a severe hailstorm. Mine was a freak summer storm which completely caught me out. The temperature dropped about 15 degrees in a couple of minutes and the road was unrideable for several more minutes until the hail melted. After 15 minutes the road was totally clear and the sun was shining again as if nothing had happened - totally bizarre weather! :wacko:

It has been about 20 years since I last experienced a severe hailstorm. Mine was a freak summer storm which completely caught me out. The temperature dropped about 15 degrees in a couple of minutes and the road was unrideable for several more minutes until the hail melted. After 15 minutes the road was totally clear and the sun was shining again as if nothing had happened - totally bizarre weather! :wacko:

Yes, yesterday we had bright sun, wind, rain and heavy hail...all in the space of a couple of hours. Mr. Garmin said the temperature ranged from 13 degrees down to 3 degrees (though he's not always to be trusted). Last year we had a violent hailstorm that broke roof tiles, shattered plastic gutters and pretty much shredded the garden. I have a picture of hailstones nearly an inch across.

ColinJ

Yes, yesterday we had bright sun, wind, rain and heavy hail...all in the space of a couple of hours. Mr. Garmin said the temperature ranged from 13 degrees down to 3 degrees (though he's not always to be trusted). Last year we had a violent hailstorm that broke roof tiles, shattered plastic gutters and pretty much shredded the garden. I have a picture of hailstones nearly an inch across.
:eek:

Top Bottom