The 2019 Half Century a month Challenge chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Just after WW2 Horsham got hit by a storm that included "a record-breaking hailstone weighed 190g (6.7oz) and measured 6.35cm (2.5in) in diameter, heavier and larger than a cricket ball" . Of course folk were so much harder then! :-)
20 years ago, I spent 6 months in France. In the village where I lived, a car could regularly be seen driving around with the body work of a golf ball. Apparently, it had been left outside during a hailstorm. It looked like someone had hit every inch with a ball pane hammer. :eek:

gavgav

Guru
Count yourself lucky, my hailstorms hit at 30 and at 40 miles in - both times between villages with no possibility of finding decent shelter. The first one wasn't too bad and quite short so I just rode through it, but the second was a real face stinger and went on for ages, so I parked the bike up on a grass verge and tried to hide in a hedge!
Much sympathy!! They do sting indeed! I tried to shelter under a tree, but it didn’t really do much to help.

bluenotebob

Veteran
After 8 days of very little cycling (mostly because of the strong winds), it was good to get out today. A slightly hilly cross-country start then down the very pretty Ninian valley, a loop around the SW of Ploermel on the GR37, then a long blast back up the Voie Verte to Mauron, and then home. 62km of mostly traffic-free cycling. I enjoyed that.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Met up with a mate this morning for a pedal around the town after him dropping his car in for a service.
Warp speed was limited by the fact that he was towing his 2 Yr old daughter in a trailer :tongue:

All cycle paths and back roads for this 50 km.
Lovely weather though!!

_20190320_151431.JPG

https://strava.app.link/TSnVFptjdV

More ride details will be posted in The Other Place later..

:smile:

Last edited:

iandg

Legendary Member
Another 50+ ride yesterday. Audax planned for last Saturday was cancelled due to a blast of snow and a bit short on long rides for the month. So braved the squalls, the heavy showers and gusting wind and got myself out. Managed to average just over 17kph for the first 12km into the wind and pushed it over 18kph in the crosswind on the long downhill from Achmore. Pace picked up once past Callanish and made an average of 22.5kph for the 65km by the time I arrived home.

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
My first 50km this year (56km). Nice weather +11c and sunny. Quite windy.
Welcome to the challenge @challe :welcome: were a friendly bunch .
Just to clarify you did need a ride in Jan and Feb to qualify for a star for completing the monthly challenge . But your more than welcome to post away your 50km rides . The whole ethos of the challenge is to get you out doing some miles . Enjoy your rides

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
March's done - 112 Km

Blaby - Wigston - Newton Harcourt - Great Glen - Houghton on the Hill - Ingarsby - Keyham -Beeby -Hungarton -Lowesby -Marefield - Burrough on the Hill -Somerby - Loddington - Alexton -Stockerston - Eyebrook Reservoir - Great Easton -Drayton - Nevill Holt - Medbourne - Slawston - Cranoe - Glooston Goadby - Carlton Curlieu - Kibworth Harcourt - Wistow - Kilby - Foston - Peatling Magna - Countesthorpe - Blaby

Actually did a few rides this week, 2 at 41Km and one a bbit shorter (30 odd) to test out my hybrid as I just renewed the shifters, front mech, chai and cassette.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I still haven't done my '50' for the month. I have done 2 longer rides for other challenges but I like to keep them all separate so I'll make an effort to get this one done ASAP. The forecast is looking okay for the next few days and I should be able to find the required 3 hours.

The only potential problem is that my right hip aches a bit. I had a stupid heavy fall a couple of weeks ago which I thought I had got away with but 165 km of forum ride on Saturday made it flare up a bit. I should be okay for 50 km but I certainly won't be pushing myself to break any speed records!

Domus

Guru
Finally got my March 50 Km in, I have recovered form my surgery (I think) but a stinker of a cold/man flu has knocked me for six for the last 10 days or so.
Fought my way through a strongish breeze along the A6 to Frederick's for a Toasted Teacake and coffee then returned home with a bit of a tailwind via Horwich with a climb up to the Blundell Arms for good measure. I have expressed interest in Colin J's ride from Springwood but reading his latest update I'm having second thoughts due to losing what little fitness I had over the last 5 weeks or so.

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Finally got my March 50 Km in, I have recovered form my surgery (I think) but a stinker of a cold/man flu has knocked me for six for the last 10 days or so.
Fought my way through a strongish breeze along the A6 to Frederick's for a Toasted Teacake and coffee then returned home with a bit of a tailwind via Horwich with a climb up to the Blundell Arms for good measure. I have expressed interest in Colin J's ride from Springwood but reading his latest update I'm having second thoughts due to losing what little fitness I had over the last 5 weeks or so.
Week done that man :notworthy: you timed your recovery well

Slick

Guru
Last weekend warning !! . State of play we have 35 riders fully posted up for Jan to Mar .6 riders with Jan and Feb rides yet to post so a gentle nudge for @ColinJ ,@gavgav ,@StuartG ,@Slick ,@Ice2911 and @slow scot . @dickyknees escaped the nudge list as he posted whilst I was writing this .
Well done everyone who's over the line and good luck to everyone leaving late
Big plans for Friday afternoon.:thumbsup: I haven't managed a 50 this month yet for various reasons, but I have done quite a number which fell just short. Hopefully the current mild weather holds out.:huh:

Top Bottom