The 2019 Half Century a month Challenge chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
Today was a bonus that I wasn't entirely sure would happen, hence the panic ride on Friday. I was really planning no more than a day on the couch watching the football after a relatively busy week. The sun was splitting the sky when I got up and I hate wasting a good day. Decided to cut the grass which would allow me to watch the old firm game but when that was done Mrs Slick reckoned she would be up for a couple of hours on the bike so we got ready and headed out on what is becoming a usual 50K circuit with a great pit stop at the Dunlop Dairy. We met a few cyclists there who all had different ideas on routes and runs which gave me a few ideas on future circuits I could use to mix 5hings up a bit. All in all, a most enjoyable day and another Sunday I've managed to avoid the couch. My only real issue now is, I've cycled in the region of 140 miles this week and still not lost any weight. :banghead:

iandg

Legendary Member
Misjudged the day - walked the dogs after breakfast and it was so warm I took off the hoodie and beanie. So, nice and warm, very little wind -100km target. Left the overshoes off and switched the winter bunnet for a buff. Only 5km in, down came the hail (first shower). Didn't notice how strong the wind was because it was behind me. Second hail shower hit me at about 30km so decided coffee at Ravenspoint to warm up (I was planning to go on to Orinsay to see if there was a sign for the ABC photo challenge). Raining when I came out of the cafe (and my feet were cold) so I headed home. Rain stopped and the sun came out about 10km from the finish.

Last edited:

bluenotebob

Veteran
Another splendid selection from the artisan patissier who used to be based in Concoret but is now in Guilliers.

I don't lack energy or motivation to go out on my bike at the moment (but it may be a problem with the strong heat in July/August) … but just looking at this plateful puts another 50km into my legs. Not sure why … effort/reward?

Patisserie 03042019.JPG

Domus

Guru
First April ride, just a few days before Mallorca so met up with mate in Wilmslow via Northern Fail. Grrrrrrr
Lovely Cheshire lanes to Great Budworth for most excellent Fish n Chips in George and Dragon. Return via Knutsford before being squashed again on an overcrowded train. The announcer said "This train consists of 4 carriages " There were 2 :wacko:
Blooming cold this morning :cold:

kapelmuur

Veteran
As planned I’ve done my April 50km while on holiday in Flanders, in fact I’ve done two, today and yesterday.

I had some shorter rides earlier in the week but the winds were fierce, there’s no shelter in the flat lands here and it’s not much fun riding miles into an 18mph head wind. The wind has reduced over the past couple of days but I don’t think it’s ever calm here.

Yesterday I ventured out to the bergs, Kemmelberg, Monteberg and Rodeberg. These are the short steep climbs that those of you who waatched the Gent - Wevelgem road race last Sunday will have seen. To be honest I didn’t take the 20% cobbled route up Kemmelberg, I did it a couple of years ago and barely survived. Instead I took the longer easier route.

Although it’s very flat around Ypres where we’re staying it’s close to the Heuvelland district where there are lots of short, sharp climbs if you like that sort of thing.

A few days ago while driving we passed an interesting looking windmill about 12 miles from Ypres, so I cycled to it today for a closer look. The ride out was quick and easy, I soon discovered why when I started the return journey. 12 miles into a headwind! With yesterday’s hills in my legs it wasn’t enjoyable.

A pleasure of cycling here is that the cyclist is king (or queen). Traffic gives you priority at all times. I’ve almost got used to sailing around roundabouts without looking as motor vehicles always stop for bikes. Most places have separated bike paths and if they don’t the bike has priority. A week of no close passes, it wouldn’t happen in the UK.

Domus

Guru
What a lovely day, with Colin J's ride postponed I was struggling to think of a route so I set off with no clear intentions.
It was a little chilly so I was thinking I had got my clothing wrong but soon the arm warmers were off and it was most agreeable to feel the sun on my back.
Lots of bikes out today especially around the Belmont, Rivington area. I pushed on through Adlington to the A6 forgoing my usual lunch stop in Horwich so called in at Carrs Pasties in Bolton before tackling the climb up from Stoneclough to Whitefield. Very pleased to have completed 73 Kms and over 700 metres of climbing. Roll on Monday and Hola to Mallorca. :sun::bicycle::dance:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Another day that was too nice to waste, so I got out and bagged a metric half as April's entry at the first available opportunity.
Nothing too strenuous as my legs are still empty but it keeps me in the hunt and every ride is another step closer to getting back to where I want to be - and it was nice to get home not completely on my chinstrap.
I almost had to stop to take a layer off on the second half of today's ride, spring has definitely sprung.

bluenotebob

Veteran
An unplanned ride – I just wanted to go out on the bike this afternoon before the rain arrived. I let an ENE wind carry me over the hills and down to Taupont. I then realised that carrying on into Ploermel and coming back up our local Voie Verte to Mauron, and then home, would get me over 55km for the day. I arrived in Taupont (20km out) just as the rain started … oh, damn. Not much choice but to carry on. I was heading back up the Voie Verte (delightfully quiet for a Saturday afternoon, but the Ploermelais obviously reckon that walking in the rain is strictly for losers) when I discovered that my waterproof isn’t as waterproof as I’d thought, and that my hands were also wet and cold and that changing gears was becoming laborious. Oh well, just keep going… I finally arrived back here, very wet, very muddy, cold and tired. 35km of soggy riding really isn’t that much fun. Everything I’d been wearing was soaked and muddy. God knows if I can get enough cleaned and dried so that I can go out again tomorrow (a dry day apparently – it looks like I got my weekend the wrong way round).

Anyway, that’s me off the mark for April with a 55.82km ride. I’ve lit the fire and I’m about to eat my body weight in roast potatoes.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Stupid idea, I know, but I did my April 100k ride on my commute home last night/this morning. :wacko:

_20190407_115554.JPG

Luckily I have good lights as I set off at 22.45, and crawled into bed just after 04.00 :ohmy:

DSC_0807.JPG

I was quite glad of the 24hr McDonald's for a Hot Choccy @ 03.00..

Further report will be posted in The Other Place later today.

More importantly, 3 points!!
Running total: 20 points.

:smile:

Last edited:

iandg

Legendary Member
Blowy again yesterday. 20-30 mph north-easterly. Cross wind over Barvas Moor not too bad as travelling away from Stornoway most of the exposed part is down hill. Flew down the west side with the tail wind. Five Strava segment PBs riding a heavy Long Haul Trucker without trying. Arrived at Callanish Visitor Centre cafe behind a coach party so had to queue for food. Luckily the old folk hadn't eaten all the cake. As expected a cross/headwind grind home over Achmore, the old A858 single track and Pentland Road.

Top Bottom