The 2019 Half Century a month Challenge chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

aferris2

Guru
The weather seemed too good to stay at home all day, so took the oportunity to get another ride in. Only went round the local lanes and nearly made the mistake of getting home at 49.4km (all too easy when you are showing the distance in miles). Added a loop around the village common to make it up to the required distance.
Forecast to be sunny tomorrow as well and I have to go for a hospital check-up which will give me 20 miles. So only another 10 and a bit to get another ride done. I wonder...

steverob

Guru
The weather seemed too good to stay at home all day, so took the oportunity to get another ride in. Only went round the local lanes and nearly made the mistake of getting home at 49.4km (all too easy when you are showing the distance in miles). Added a loop around the village common to make it up to the required distance.
One of the undeclared joys of this challenge is that those of us who still have our GPS devices set to imperial measurements, start to learn the figures 31.07 and 62.14 miles off by heart as being very important!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
One of the undeclared joys of this challenge is that those of us who still have our GPS devices set to imperial measurements, start to learn the figures 31.07 and 62.14 miles off by heart as being very important!
Whereas those of us who use a logical system of units which has been in use for 228 years learn that 80.45 and 160.9 km are very important too! :okay:

lane

Veteran
Slow start this April because it started with me having a cold and not riding for a couple of weekends. Luckily the club social rides started last Tuesday evening and riding to the start and back managed a 50km ride. This weekend being a long one and glorious weather shouldn't be much of a challenge to get a 50km in. Another one or two before the end of the month hopefully.

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
A lovely 31.8 miles ( 254.3995 furlongs keeping up obscure distance theme ) . Sun's out day off work so a 50km ride is required . Did a similar route to last Sunday out to Ragdale ,tried to pr the hill just managed 2nd best time . Absolutely lovely out full summer gear engaged here's hoping it continues

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Another qualifying ride today - and my longest ride of the year so far at 40.55 miles (62.25 km), which also brought up another milestone as I passed 2,000 total miles on the Giant. Not a lot by some standards but enough for me as things stand.
Glorious weather for it too - so warm I had to take a layer off part way round! :sun:

Still slow, but at least the miles keep passing by.

Last edited:

bruce1530

Guru
Nice morning, out early. The forecast was for great weather - but I’m a sceptic so didn’t believe it. It was breezy.

I ventured out for the first time this year without putting on the winter boots and big gloves. Decided not to risk shorts - which was a mistake.

First few miles took me inland to Kilwinning, then Stewarton at 20k. Passed a cafe, smelled something nice, stopped for a bacon roll :-)

On towards Fenwick, then the A77 cycle path towards Glasgow, taking a brief detour up a farm road to bag a Veloviewer tile.

Onto the Eaglesham Moor road, and up towards the wind farm. There are around 100 miles of path up there for bikes and walkers. Some of the main routes are tarmac, others are gravel. I followed the main “spine road” around the wind farm, then onto some lesser tracks that took me out via a farm road at the southwest of the site. Kept going - another diversion up a farm road for Veloviewer, eventually reaching Kilmarnock. From there, country roads back home.

About 10 miles from home, I’m struggling - far too hot, and run out of water. Jacket off, diversion into a town to get a drink, then home.

85k, 53 miles, my longest trip this year so far.

dickyknees

Guru
Could someone remind me how to insert a link to previous activities with an editable title please?

My total activities list is getting far to long!

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Could someone remind me how to insert a link to previous activities with an editable title please?

My total activities list is getting far to long!
The easiest way is to just start another thread for May with the first lane something like points Jan to May equal x
And the running total at the bottom hope that helps

dickyknees

Guru
January: 4 rides, 5 points
February: 2 rides, 3 points
9th March: 32.66 miles - Direct ride to the LBS with a tailwind in order to get a part fitted, then a meandering route home accompanied by very gusty head and cross winds - https://www.strava.com/activities/2201837654 and https://www.strava.com/activities/2201838570 - 1 point
17th March: 50.14 miles - Another four villages for the ABC challenge, but also two hailstorms, the second one of which was rather intense and forced me to take shelter in a hedge for five minutes - https://www.strava.com/activities/2220147917 - 2 points

23rd March: 65.61 miles - First 100km ride of the year, plus first ever ascent of Kop Hill, one of the toughest climbs in the Chilterns. Was paced/pulled up it by @Sbudge which certainly helped! - https://www.strava.com/activities/2234541454 - 3 points

Total so far: 14 points

I was hoping to do something like this as has been done for Jan and Feb.

steverob

Guru
I think that is done by pressing the number at the bottom next to like ie #1 and copying and pasting the link not sure how you re name it
Right click the #357 (or whatever number) and choose Copy link location / Copy link address / Copy shortcut (depends upon what browser you're using). Then compose your reply as normal. When you've written what you want as the link (in my case "2 rides, 3 points") then highlight this text and press the Link button in the toolbar (seventh one along, looks a little bit like a paperclip sideways) and Paste the address you copied into the box provided. Ta-da!

dickyknees

Guru
Right click the #357 (or whatever number) and choose Copy link location / Copy link address / Copy shortcut (depends upon what browser you're using). Then compose your reply as normal. When you've written what you want as the link (in my case "2 rides, 3 points") then highlight this text and press the Link button in the toolbar (seventh one along, looks a little bit like a paperclip sideways) and Paste the address you copied into the box provided. Ta-da!

Many thanks, posting looks tidier now.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Can't waste this weather can we?

Positively tropical up here, so another cheeky metric half in the bag this morning - my first back to back qualifying rides this year. According to the Garmin, the temp maxed out at 25.0°C which is almost unheard of at Easter but long may it continue.

And I'm finally in double figures points wise. :okay:

Last edited:
Top Bottom