The 2019 Half Century a month Challenge chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Day 3 of the Easter weekend and the heatwave continues, so it seemed only right to go out for another ride.
It was so nice that i just carried on riding until I had another metric half in the bag. It's been a long time since I did half centuries on three consecutive days and that helps me to my most productive month so far this year points wise.

The average temperature was even warmer than yesterday and wall to wall sunshine is never a bad thing is it? Unless you're a vampire, obviously. ;)

Last edited:

Houthakker

A Happy Wanderer
Good start this morning, out at just after 7, What alovely day, quiet road, warm and sunny, and summer bike. Felt like I could have gone on for ever.
Did 42 miles as we had somewheer to go this afternoon.

Slick

Guru
Great day out with Mrs Slick and a mate with his young teenage daughter, heading down to Largs for nothing more than the tastiest fish supper ever.:hungry:

We met only 1 complete numpty whose story is too boring to explain but it almost took the shine of a great day, probably more so because of the presence of a young girl in our group. We also had a couple of motorbikes overtake a line of cars into our lane without a thought for our safety. Holiday traffic. :wacko:

That aside, it was a great day out, didn't really know where I was for much of it as it was my mates route which was designed to be quiet country lanes but the price was some big climbs, which the young one used as training intervals and kept leaving me for dead. :training:

I've just been given a row by Mrs Slick for going to fast all day though as she didn't see any scenery all day. :shy: That's problem with going in a group I suppose.

Anyway, another single point in the bag.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Day 4 of the Easter weekend and with yet more sunshine it was time for another ride.

My legs were feeling it a bit at first, but i was determined to ride a metric half each day of the Easter break and was soon into a rhythm. I almost miscalculated the distance, but a quick loop added just before turning up for home bagged the extra mile and that makes it four consecutive days with a qualifying ride in the bag.
It's been a long time since I did four back to back days of 50km+ rides, so I'm really pleased with that and it gives me just over 220 km in total for the Easter weekend.

Besides, it would have been rude not to get out there in this weather, wouldn't it?

Last edited:
OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Just claimed 3 points today for a 75 mile ride despite doing 100 miles for the day . Rode from home around Uttoxeter to Blythe Bridge station 75 and a bit miles . We then planned to catch the train to Loughborough ,we had to change at Derby were a fire near the station was causing travel chaos one minute the train delayed then disappeared of the board then it arrives coming the wrong way into the station then told the train was terminating at Derby . So we made a decision to ride home another 25 miles done . But didn't sit right to claim it as an imperial ton ride

Last edited:

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
Aprils done…. just in time as I felt I had a cold coming on.... forced myself out Blaby - Countesthorpe -Willoughby Waterlys - Ashby Magna -Dunton Bassett - Ashby Parva - Leire - Frolesworth - Claybrooke Magna - Withybrok - Hopsford - Shilton -Brinkow - Bretford - Kings Newham - Little Lawford - Easenhall - Pailton - Monks Kirby - up towards Wibtoft back to Mons Kirby - ClaybrookeParva - Ullesthorpe - Ashby Parva - Kimcote - Walton - Bruntingthorpe - Peatling Magna - Wiloughny Waterlys - Countesthorpe - Blaby - 108Km in total - not bad - though the cold has got to me since with 5km being a challenge at the mo haha

Houthakker

A Happy Wanderer
Got a a second counting ride in this month, and as I was going through Eccleston, popped into the shopping centre to see if the pillar box that was painted gold when Bradley Wiggins won his gold medal was still there. Glad to see it was. (He was living in Eccleston at the time) Thought these might have beem forgotten since 2012 but good to see it looks like they are still going strong.

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Thanks for the reminder, will do it soon!

Domus

Guru
3 pointer in the bag today, my second Audax. 106 Kms in mainly quiet Cheshire lanes, the main control was in the Ice Cream farm in Great Budworth at 51 Kms, the easterly wind was our friend in the morning but turning back into it, with a hillier second half and rain on the forecast it was anything but.
Rode all the way with Ian, a very nice chap from Grimsby. We both had the route on our Garmins but always better to have a second opinion. He certainly pushed me speed wise so it was a good experience for me to be more disciplined. We had only two very short showers neither of which needed jackets but driving home through Stockport a violent storm brought traffic almost to a standstill. Certainly dodged a bullet there.

My first year of doing this challenge 2017, I amassed 33 points. Now, still only April my running total is 30 points. It certainly is a great motivator.
Many thanks 13 Rider. :notworthy:

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
3 pointer in the bag today, my second Audax. 106 Kms in mainly quiet Cheshire lanes, the main control was in the Ice Cream farm in Great Budworth at 51 Kms, the easterly wind was our friend in the morning but turning back into it, with a hillier second half and rain on the forecast it was anything but.
Rode all the way with Ian, a very nice chap from Grimsby. We both had the route on our Garmins but always better to have a second opinion. He certainly pushed me speed wise so it was a good experience for me to be more disciplined. We had only two very short showers neither of which needed jackets but driving home through Stockport a violent storm brought traffic almost to a standstill. Certainly dodged a bullet there.

My first year of doing this challenge 2017, I amassed 33 points. Now, still only April my running total is 30 points. It certainly is a great motivator.
Many thanks 13 Rider. :notworthy:
Thanks @Domus but I can't take all the credit it was @ColinJ who came up with idea in 2015 . When I first joined and like you the challenge got me upping the miles . It's great to see the ethos of the challenge getting people out riding . I just prod people along

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!

You were lucky with those storms. The lights went off here a couple of times late afternoon just before heavy rain started so there had no doubt been some lightning strikes on nearby hills. I checked Lightning Maps and saw a great swathe of strikes from Blackpool SE across Manchester down to the Peak District.

lane

Veteran
Just claimed 3 points today for a 75 mile ride despite doing 100 miles for the day . Rode from home around Uttoxeter to Blythe Bridge station 75 and a bit miles . We then planned to catch the train to Loughborough ,we had to change at Derby were a fire near the station was causing travel chaos one minute the train delayed then disappeared of the board then it arrives coming the wrong way into the station then told the train was terminating at Derby . So we made a decision to ride home another 25 miles done . But didn't sit right to claim it as an imperial ton ride

Smoke on the line apparently. Seriously that's what they said on the local news. Makes a change from leaves or snow.

End if the month is coming so recap time .we have 31 riders fully posted up . Well done everyone . That leaves 11 riders yet to post a ride for April so a nudge for @ColinJ ,@Spinney ,@cosmicbike( pretty sure you've done a ride just need to update thread) ,@steveindenmark ,@LeetleGreyCells ,@demro ,@Banjo ,@slow scot ,@Nomadski and @Chris Doyle and @tallliman who have both done rides over the distance I know I was there just need to update thread .
Should get the job done this weekend @13 rider

Top Bottom