The 2019 Half Century a month Challenge chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
April Done.

Left it late as I’d been focusing on the metric century challenge. I could’ve used one of these rides but didn’t want to cross post.

Being rather lazy I decided to drive to meet up with @13 rider, @Supersuperleeds and @Lilliburlero as well as my mate Martin and Lilliburlero’s mates Bob and Paul at the usual meeting point in Market Bosworth and set off on a nice ride and mainly soft pedalling around some familiar lanes (and many new ones) to complete a 37 mile loop.

I’ve ridden these lanes so many times and yet still manage to find new ones nearly every time I go out there! Stopped off at an alpaca farm and cafe at Snarestone, funnily enough about 5 miles from home and despite this I’d never clocked the place before!

A nice bit of active recovery after a hard week on the indoor trainer.

https://strava.app.link/0GNGkOZ5fW
https://www.relive.cc/view/2325182671

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
No ride yesterday due to the monsoon like conditions and time limited today, meaning that I only had a couple of hours this morning.

I did have an overly optimistic idea that if I stuck to the fastest, most downhill / flattest route that I might just squeeze in a final metric half for the month, but the headwind I encountered on anything even vaguely approaching a northerly direction soon but an end to that sort of thing.
Having to pedal hard down hill to do half the speed you normally would is a sign that today is not your day. :laugh:

So, just under 25 miles today, with sincere apologies to @13 rider for failing to do the additional six and a bit miles...;)

Still, April is by far my best month of the year so far and hopefully a sign of things to come.

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
No ride yesterday due to the monsoon like conditions and time limited today, meaning that I only had a couple of hours this morning.

I did have an overly optimistic idea that if I stuck to the fastest, most downhill / flattest route that I might just squeeze in a final metric half for the month, but the headwind I encountered on anything even vaguely approaching a northerly direction soon but an end to that sort of thing.
Having to pedal hard down hill to do half the speed you normally would is a sign that today is not your day. :laugh:

So, just under 25 miles today, with sincere apologies to @13 rider for failing to do the additional six and a bit miles...;)

Still, April is by far my best month of the year so far and hopefully a sign of things to come.
Yes I noticed the distance !:okay:. I Will let you off an official warning this time :hello:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Yes I noticed the distance !:okay:. I Will let you off an official warning this time :hello:

:tongue:

To be honest, I could have got out again for another hour late this afternoon as things worked out, but it wouldn't have felt right tacking that on to this mornings ride to make up the distance.
So I sat and watched the telly while eating some yellow stickered Easter eggs instead. :laugh:

Last edited:

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Thought I was bombing out this month but managed to squeeze in a 54 km loop around South Wales this morning.

Set off about 10.30 with light winds and fairly warm. Meandred from Barry out to St Athans then North up through Bryn Sadler and Miskin.

Then down through Hensol Clawwd Coch and Pendoylan .
IMG_1142.JPG
IMG_1144.JPG

Nearly back on the A48 looking forward to a fast run home on A roads when I came across this

IMG_1147.JPG

The road closed sign I passed earlier really meant it so back up the hill to pick a way around using steep and shitty farm lanes to eventually get back on route.Only added a couple of Kms so cant complain too much.

April in the bag hopefully wont leave Mays ride until the last chance saloon again.

Attachments

• IMG_1144.JPG
    IMG_1144.JPG
    203.4 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

lane

Veteran
Think its only 3 points 2 for 100k and 1 for 50k? Would be a slight saving over 3 points for a 162km ride I guess.

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Jan 3rd, 51 km
Todmorden, Bacup, Rossendale, Waterfoot, Deerplay, Walk Mill, Over Town, Greencliffe Ln, Long Causeway, Blackshaw Head, Great Rock, Tod, woods in park, Sour Hall, Bacup Rd, Rochdale canal towpath, Tod.

Feb 28th, 50 km
[Singlespeed] Todmorden, A646 to Manchester Rd (Burnley), u-turn and return to Tod, A6033 through Walsden, then Calderbrook and Caldermoor to Littleborough, back to Tod on A6033, circuit of town to clock up exactly my target.

Mar 29th, 50 km
Todmorden, Mankinholes, Shade, Walsden, Bacup Rd, Sourhall, Portsmouth, Holme Chapel, Overtown, Greencliffe Ln, Long Causeway, Blackshaw Head, Slack, Widdop Gate, Slack, Blackshaw Head, Great Rock, Cross Stone Rd, Tod.

Apr 30th, 51 km
Todmorden, Shade, Hollins Rd, Walsden, Calderbrook, Caldermoor, Littleborough, Blackstone Edge Old Rd, Blackstone Edge, Blue Ball Rd, Hubberton Green, Sowerby, Shield Hall Ln, Steep Ln, High Stone Rd, Turvin Rd, Blackstone Edge, Littleborough, Walsden, Todmorden.
Left that late @ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It would have been a little embarrassing if I had dropped out of the challenge that I had started, so yes - I went out and did my ride today, finishing with 9 hours to spare... :laugh:

It was a truly aphid-tastic experience - I kept cycling into clouds of the little creatures and was having to breathe through clenched teeth to avoid inhaling them!

I was heading down through a village when I was flagged down by an old man who was sitting on a chair at the side of the road, enjoying the sunshine and watching the world go by. He asked if I needed to refill my bottle! That's a first for me. I thanked him, but said that I had plenty left to get me home. I think he just wanted a chat so I stayed a while before continuing on my way.

It was warmer than forecast. I had originally intended to wear a long-sleeved jersey but had changed into short sleeves before setting off, and I'm glad that I did.

There was a bit of a snarl-up leaving (and re-entering) the centre of Todmorden due to roadworks but apart from that I managed to dodge most of the afternoon traffic.

A nice little ride!

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Talk about last chance saloon :-)
Was the old guy a cyclist?I don't ever remember anyone offering to fill my bottles like that.
I'm not sure that he was but he said that there were cyclists in the family.

He told me that he had been chatting to a couple on a tandem a few days ago. They were heading off on a ride from Yorkshire across Europe to Romania. The tandem had developed a mechanical problem even before they had got out of the county so he directed them to the nearest bike shop. I'd be a bit worried on a long tour like that if my bike packed up right at the start ... :whistle:

Top Bottom