The 2019 Half Century a month Challenge chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steverob

Guru
Had hoped to do a longer ride than just the standard 50km that I've been doing recently today and I actually managed to get up at a decent hour for once, plus the roads were not wet or icy, so thought I was in with a chance. The gods however had other ideas.

Getting my bike out of the garage, found that the slow puncture from last weekend I thought I'd resolved was back again. And after yet another inner tube change, I was now down to my last spare tube, so that meant a ride down to Halfords to stock up. By the time I got back, I now had been given some errands to run by the other half, including delivering a Christmas card across town that had come through our door by mistake (similar spelling on address, but nowhere near us geographically). Then it was time to grab a bite to eat for lunch (in lieu of any coffee stop I would have had if I'd done a longer ride), before finally managing to get some proper riding done out in the countryside, tackling one of my favourite climbs en route.

The grand total of all this to-ing and fro-ing did come to just over 50km, so it suffices for a point, but I had been thinking today I'd be getting 2 in the bag, with an outside chance of 3. There's always next weekend I suppose... (cue the forecasts for snow)

gavgav

Guru
Just thought I’d check in and say hi. Well done to everybody who’s completed the 2019 challenge and good luck to those who’ve yet to get the December ride in.

Just to let you know, I’ve done my first 50k, since breaking my hand in August, today. So I will definitely be lined up ready to have another go at this in 2020 and hopefully an injury free year will mean I can complete again!

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I popped out for a little 5 miler today, decided not to turn left an thought that I would do a nice 12 miles instead with an option to go for 15 or 16 miles if I fancied it. Then, I saw a chap on an e-bike and rode with him a while. I stopped for a few mins as my left hand had lost feeling. It turned out that my glove liner had twisted.
I took the opportunity to change gloves as my hands were too warm (who even knew that that happened in the winter) and headed on home. 33 miles done and dusted.
I am semi tempted to try for 2 more points to finish the year on 52. A point earned a week, so to speak.

I am currently nursing a suspected fractured scaphoid. I turned down 2 weeks in plaster as I am a single pringle and would have difficulties with showering, washing hair, washing up, getting lids off. I have a ton of kinesiology tape and a stiffened neoprene glove. I have had 5 days off the bike and was getting really grumpy. The ride was great. Extra bar tape on the right side of the handlebars does wonders too. I took my poorly hand off the handlebars, after slowing down on a couple of bits of road. Checked my bar ends just in case too. I do not want to be de gloving my fa-nuna thank you very much (still in shock about that lad).

Slick

Guru
I popped out for a little 5 miler today, decided not to turn left an thought that I would do a nice 12 miles instead with an option to go for 15 or 16 miles if I fancied it. Then, I saw a chap on an e-bike and rode with him a while. I stopped for a few mins as my left hand had lost feeling. It turned out that my glove liner had twisted.
I took the opportunity to change gloves as my hands were too warm (who even knew that that happened in the winter) and headed on home. 33 miles done and dusted.
I am semi tempted to try for 2 more points to finish the year on 52. A point earned a week, so to speak.

I am currently nursing a suspected fractured scaphoid. I turned down 2 weeks in plaster as I am a single pringle and would have difficulties with showering, washing hair, washing up, getting lids off. I have a ton of kinesiology tape and a stiffened neoprene glove. I have had 5 days off the bike and was getting really grumpy. The ride was great. Extra bar tape on the right side of the handlebars does wonders too. I took my poorly hand off the handlebars, after slowing down on a couple of bits of road. Checked my bar ends just in case too. I do not want to be de gloving my fa-nuna thank you very much (still in shock about that lad).
Be careful not to be a martyr, you may struggle but if you need 2 weeks in plaster, 2 weeks it really should be. Take care.

aferris2

Guru
Last ride done so the challenge is complete. I'm on 59 points so should try to do another ride just to get a nice round number.
We're in a National Park so get to ride on roads which are a little less busy. This one even comes with a 40 kmh speed limit for most of it (not that many people stick to it though). The ride was about two thirds tarmac and one third gravel which makes a change. Started off quite cool but got rather warm towards then end. 38 degrees into a headwind is not much fun.
Anyway, 2019 is done now. Just need to summon up the courage to tackle the 2020 challenge. Off to update my signature now.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Be careful not to be a martyr, you may struggle but if you need 2 weeks in plaster, 2 weeks it really should be. Take care.
I understand that completely. My wrist and hand are shot to hell anyway are are useless. I am unlikely to make it worse.
I would not be able to wash, shower etc, drive the 25 miles to the back of beyond for work and, I had 8 days off with flu last month so would probably be sacked upon my return.

I have taped up with kinesiology tape and a stiffened neoprene support so it’s all pretty immobile. It means that I can ensure that I don’t stink and keep some ability to do stuff. My mouse at work has been purloined from the stationery cupboard as my usual mouse is an ergonomic right handed one. My personal property along with my natural keyboard. It’s kind of working. My current task, I can do without using right hand.

Domus

Guru
Another ride and another 2 points, well into the nervous 90s now.
Joined the Chorlton Wanderers for their December ride to Irlam Station for lunch, quite a bit of off road and canal towpath made for a very different ride than my usual fare, Nice people to ride with and a most enjoyable day out.

Three weeks left to get four more points. Oh the drama :wacko: ^_^

Top Bottom