The 2019 Half Century a month Challenge chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
Decmber's done, actually seem to have managed the 100 though it was bloomin hard work on Saturday. Just back on the nike following the Flu and Sunday I come down with a cold. Anyway
7th December 108Km - Blaby - Willoughby Waterlys - Ashby Parva - Ashby Magna - Gilmorton - Walcote -South Kilworth - Stanford - Cold Ashby - Guilsborough - Naseby - Cottersbrooke - Creaton - Cottesbrooke - Naseby - Sibertoft - Marston Trussel - Thedingworth - Saddington - Arnesby - Peatling Parva - Countesthorpe.
Glad to have a niceish day to finish on....

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
25th finisher ,Well done @PatrickPending

Slick

Guru
After a long day on the couch yesterday I was determined to get out this morning despite the forecasted showers as I reckoned I could have dodged them. I immediately regretted it as the rain came down almost horizontal blowing straight into my face, so I sought shelter for 20 minutes before carrying on. Kudos to the 3 cyclists who passed me as I sheltered, especially the one who shouted at me to get on my bike. Different story when the winds at your back mate. :okay: Eventually got going again and struggled a bit on the early short climbs as the roads were flooded and I couldn't carry any momentum into the hills. Really tough breeze most of the way round and got soaked again around Eaglesham moor but this time there was no shelter so I just had to get the head down and go for it. I went out sharp hopi g to get back for the early kick off but I ended up missing the first half but what really finished me was the wind died and the sun came out just as I got home. :evil: Anyway, glad to get out and I really did enjoy it. :okay:

kapelmuur

Veteran
An unremarkable ride today, as usual, apart from the fact that it earned me my 100th point of the year in the challenge. Chuffed with this after narrowly missing out the past 2 years.

I hate riding when it’s cold, but the forecast promised colder and wetter weather to come so I thought I should go for it.

As I came to the rural roads it was obvious that the temperatures were lower in the country than in town and there was ice on the puddles. Told myself to take care and within moments of doing so a motorcyclist passed me and then slid off on the next corner. I stopped to help, wondering how long it would take an ambulance to arrive and whether we would both get hypothermia while waiting.

Fortunately the guy was shaken up but no bones were broken and after sitting quietly for a while to recover we managed to get his bike upright (not easy on a slippery road in cycling shoes) and he got on his way.

I carried on even more cautiously, average speed for the ride 2mph slower than usual.

Domus

Guru
Up in Grange for a few days, forecast was favourable so Mrs Domus got the train to Carnforth and I set off to get an 80 Km 2 pointer. The wind was not helpful so it ended up hard work. We had a Brief Encounter in the tea room on Carnforth Station before settling off back. Got caught in a short but very heavy shower just 2 Kms from the caravan.
84 Kms and 950 metres of up. Going up to Warton Crag into the wind the Wahoo beeped Ride Paused, as I was going so slowly. 😱
98 points and counting.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Well done @Milkfloat no 27 over the line
How many to come now?

lane

Veteran
At least one that I know of! Had a nasty cold since start of the month. Going to try something this weekend I think - don't want to leave it too late in case the weather deteriorates.

Domus

Guru
Bitterly cold this morning in Grange but a fabulous sunrise so plans were made to use the train to get to Barrow and ride to Ulverston for lunch and meet Senior Management as it is 49 years to the day since we met.
However Northern Rail spoiled our plans by cancelling her train, so she baled as the next train after that would have me hanging around in Ulverston getting cold.
A quick Greggs lunch of hot soup and Vegan roll hit the spot as the Bike Café at the station has now closed down.
Bigland Hill was a grind in the wind and the descent into Cartmel was freezing. Anyway got back to the caravan and a hot shower just before the rain arrived. It never got above 4 degrees all day but I managed 55 Kms and my 99th point. :okay:

Slick

Guru
Bitterly cold this morning in Grange but a fabulous sunrise so plans were made to use the train to get to Barrow and ride to Ulverston for lunch and meet Senior Management as it is 49 years to the day since we met.
However Northern Rail spoiled our plans by cancelling her train, so she baled as the next train after that would have me hanging around in Ulverston getting cold.
A quick Greggs lunch of hot soup and Vegan roll hit the spot as the Bike Café at the station has now closed down.
Bigland Hill was a grind in the wind and the descent into Cartmel was freezing. Anyway got back to the caravan and a hot shower just before the rain arrived. It never got above 4 degrees all day but I managed 55 Kms and my 99th point. :okay:
Ooo, cracked it with only one point to go. 👍

Top Bottom