The 2019 Half Century a month Challenge chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steverob

Guru
And the twelfth finisher today well done @steverob
Thank you!

Apparently I can't add another star to my signature because it makes it "103 characters too long", so I've gone back to just one star and put "x4" on the end of it instead. I'm guessing that it counts the characters in the URL for the star picture as well as the actual words in the sig.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I wasn’t planning on my December 50km today as I was allegedly at a rowing race event yesterday, which was a debacle quite frankly and something I shall not be repeating any time soon. To think that I have wasted perfectly good riding time on going backwards up some stupid river is very annoying. British rowing and their ‘novice’ events suck. At least when I swam competitively, ran competitively, cycled competitively it was against other women. Rowing competitively against men is unfair in the extreme. I shan’t bother again. Waste of time and money that could have been spent riding.
Thank god for my Genesis.
Lovely weather today. Cold and bright. I did 10 miles off road on my much disliked 29er and 21 on my adored Croix de Fer which makes life just about bearable. My right and and wrist are battered and very damaged after yesterday but the Croix is ok to ride with one hand and it was just bloody lovely to go forwards.

Fiona R

Formerly known as Cranky Knee Girl
December challenge ride complete, and that makes my first CC challenge complete. I remember when I posted my first ride over 20 miles in the your ride today thread, someone, @ColinJ I think, suggested I should start thinking about the challenges. That was mid 2018, by end of July that year I had completed my first metric half, and since then all my weekend rides have been over 50k. Thank you guys.
Just brilliant!! ^_^:bicycle:

Fiona R

No14 done and dusted well done @Cranky Knee Girl
I have a problem, I'm not ethical as I didn't manage a separate 50km last month (and I'm two 100km short presuming I do a separate Dec one.) What to do?

It was all husband's fault as he refused to ride yesterday, I couldn't really clear off as he's on a 12 hr flight today :rolleyes: I've had some utility/commutes at nearly 50 but being on a non cycling holiday for 17 days makes three separate challenges quite, um, challenging. Last Saturday's Imperial/lunacy nearly finished me off.

I did ethically go out today solo, had two stops in 50km and rode for 2 1/2 hours with an elapsed time of 5 1/2 hours. called in on a friend and had soup and natter :laugh: so I have done a ride of over 50km each month but....

Last edited:

Fiona R

I wasn’t planning on my December 50km today as I was allegedly at a rowing race event yesterday, which was a debacle quite frankly and something I shall not be repeating any time soon. To think that I have wasted perfectly good riding time on going backwards up some stupid river is very annoying. British rowing and their ‘novice’ events suck. At least when I swam competitively, ran competitively, cycled competitively it was against other women. Rowing competitively against men is unfair in the extreme. I shan’t bother again. Waste of time and money that could have been spent riding.
Thank god for my Genesis.
Lovely weather today. Cold and bright. I did 10 miles off road on my much disliked 29er and 21 on my adored Croix de Fer which makes life just about bearable. My right and and wrist are battered and very damaged after yesterday but the Croix is ok to ride with one hand and it was just bloody lovely to go forwards.
:laugh: what is it with going backwards up some stupid river?

Excellent stuff, I hope your wrists recover :ohmy:

Reactions: C R
OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
I have a problem, I'm not ethical as I didn't manage a separate 50km last month (and I'm two 100km short presuming I do a separate Dec one.) What to do?

It was all husband's fault as he refused to ride yesterday, I couldn't really clear off as he's on a 12 hr flight today :rolleyes: I've had some utility/commutes at nearly 50 but being on a non cycling holiday for 17 days makes three separate challenges quite, um, challenging. Last Saturday's Imperial/lunacy nearly finished me off.

I did ethically go out today solo, had two stops in 50km and rode for 2 1/2 hours with an elapsed time of 5 1/2 hours. called in on a friend and had soup and natter :laugh: so I have done a ride of over 50km each month but....
As far as I'm concerned you've done a ride over the qualifying distance each month so your done . If youre don't entirely happy with double posting rides that up you it's a personal challenge and only you can decided to claim your star or not

C R

Guru
Well done @C R . This challenge certainly works getting you out putting into miles . It can be a downhill slope I started in this challenge in 2015 and now have been increasing my mileage every since you have been warned
It certainly motivated me. I only got back into cycling in 2016, and at that point a five mile ride was an adventure. It was only reading the ride reports in here that made me think of riding longer distances.

The 50k is a good challenge for me, as I can manage that distance in a reasonable time on a Sunday morning, and still be back in time for family duties. Maybe as the monkeys get older I will start thinking of longer distances.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
:laugh: what is it with going backwards up some stupid river?

Excellent stuff, I hope your wrists recover :ohmy:
It seems that novice female quad crews getting annihilated by more experienced male crews is a thing in grass roots British Rowing. It was a crap day. Telling me that one of the cox’s was a female doesn’t help.

Wrist currently black and blue. Whole had swollen and using mouse left handed today. Maybe riding yesterday was a mistake but I don’t care.

kapelmuur

Veteran
Chapeau to those who got out and finished the challenge yesterday.

Too icy for me to risk it, I’m wary about riding in low temperatures since my accident on black ice a couple of years back, most of my routes are on rural lanes where ice is slow to clear.

It seems that temperatures will rise later in the week, here’s hoping!

Top Bottom