The 2019 Half Century a month Challenge chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Yeah, I ended up bowing to the inevitable... I got 51 kms in yesterday but the cold, damp air had me coughing and spluttering. I got up this morning aiming to tackle the 100 kms ride, but my body decided otherwise - I couldn't face doing double yesterday's distance!

I'm still in THIS challenge, but have dropped out of the MCaM. I also still have one more 161 km ride to do for the Lunacy Challenge. I'll leave that until the end of next week to give me more time to get over my cold and (hopefully) for the weather to improve.
Well done on getting a 50 in but gutted for you missed out on the metric ton . I began to think we were going to lose another original finisher and the founder of the challenge but you got over the line

Slick

Guru
Yeah, I ended up bowing to the inevitable... I got 51 kms in yesterday but the cold, damp air had me coughing and spluttering. I got up this morning aiming to tackle the 100 kms ride, but my body decided otherwise - I couldn't face doing double yesterday's distance!

I'm still in THIS challenge, but have dropped out of the MCaM. I also still have one more 161 km ride to do for the Lunacy Challenge. I'll leave that until the end of next week to give me more time to get over my cold and (hopefully) for the weather to improve.
That's a pity, especially at this stage. Well done on keeping in this one though. 👍

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I had a "rest day" :whistle: today, planning to get out tomorrow and nail the December challenge ride at the first available opportunity on a day that is forecast to be cold but dry, bright and with minimal wind.

However I'm now slightly concerned as the ice around here hasn't shifted at all in any of the shaded spots (or a few places that you might not expect it either) and on walking the dog just before sunset, it's freezing up again already.
The forecast for tomorrow is virtually identical to today with temperatures maxing out at just 4 degrees around lunchtime, so what to do?

I'll get the bike ready and make a final call in the morning...:rolleyes:

Slick

Guru
I had a "rest day" :whistle: today, planning to get out tomorrow and nail the December challenge ride at the first available opportunity on a day that is forecast to be cold but dry, bright and with minimal wind.

However I'm now slightly concerned as the ice around here hasn't shifted at all in any of the shaded spots (or a few places that you might not expect it either) and on walking the dog just before sunset, it's freezing up again already.
The forecast for tomorrow is virtually identical to today with temperatures maxing out at just 4 degrees around lunchtime, so what to do?

I'll get the bike ready and make a final call in the morning...:rolleyes:
My plan as well. I'm currently trying to convince Mrs Slick that it won't be too cold by 10am but the reality is, it will still be Baltic but hopefully we will be out and away before she realises. ^_^

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Monthly update We have 35 riders fully posted up 2 riders riden but not updated the thread . Leaving 1 rider I'm unsure off but he does post late so hopefully he's still in
1 more to go ,who going to first over the line tomorrow . Won't be me I'm hopefully doing one of the longer challenges . Everyone be safe out there and watch out for ice don't take too many risks plenty of days to go

Last edited:

Slick

Guru
Monthly update We have 35 riders fully posted up 2 riders riden but not updated the thread . Leaving 1 rider I'm unsure off but he does post late so hopefully he's still in
1 more to go ,who going to first over the line tomorrow . Won't be me I'm hopefully doing one of the longer challenges . Everyone be safe out there and watch out for ice don't take too many risks plenty of days to go
Mine won't be particularly early but I do hope to get out as I seem to remember last year leaving g it pretty late and having to go out in a bit of weather to get it done. Of course, with my memory the way it is, I really could be remembering that all wrong. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Having said I wouldn't be first I appear to be first :shy: . Unintentional 50 km set out this morning to complete an imperial ton all was well until we hit the village of Little Dalby and it became icy .The next junction took really slowly and the the next thing front wheel goes and I'm on the deck .Don't panic the bike was held off the ground by me and I'm ok as well .We walked a few yards and struggled to walk so plan binned rereouted home by the busier roads made it home safe

C R

Guru
December challenge ride complete, and that makes my first CC challenge complete. I remember when I posted my first ride over 20 miles in the your ride today thread, someone, @ColinJ I think, suggested I should start thinking about the challenges. That was mid 2018, by end of July that year I had completed my first metric half, and since then all my weekend rides have been over 50k. Thank you guys.

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Well done @C R . This challenge certainly works getting you out putting into miles . It can be a downhill slope I started in this challenge in 2015 and now have been increasing my mileage every since you have been warned

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
bronze-star-small-2-jpg-jpg.jpg

Here the star copy and paste into your signature ( if you can I'm currently struggling to do it ) only when you've finished the challenge

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Having said I wouldn't be first I appear to be first :shy: . Unintentional 50 km set out this morning to complete an imperial ton all was well until we hit the village of Little Dalby and it became icy .The next junction took really slowly and the the next thing front wheel goes and I'm on the deck .Don't panic the bike was held off the ground by me and I'm ok as well .We walked a few yards and struggled to walk so plan binned rereouted home by the busier roads made it home safe
December challenge ride complete, and that makes my first CC challenge complete. I remember when I posted my first ride over 20 miles in the your ride today thread, someone, @ColinJ I think, suggested I should start thinking about the challenges. That was mid 2018, by end of July that year I had completed my first metric half, and since then all my weekend rides have been over 50k. Thank you guys.

Since I've also done mine this morning, what time did we all get home, or actually, what time did we hit the 50km mark? Not that it's a competition or anything:laugh::laugh:

EDIT:- FWIW I got home at 0808hrs.

EDIT EDIT, I can't tell the time, I left at 0814, home at 1008.

Last edited:

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
It's posting time that counts :tongue: ,But I was home by 0945
Well done on finishing the challenge @cosmicbike I know it's been a tough years so well done :okay:

I had to edit my post again since I've lost the ability to tell the time:rolleyes:
I'm really chuffed to have actually managed this one, after last year I thought it would be easy but quite the opposite. I presume you are on for the triple again?

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
I had to edit my post again since I've lost the ability to tell the time:rolleyes:
I'm really chuffed to have actually managed this one, after last year I thought it would be easy but quite the opposite. I presume you are on for the triple again?
Yes need an imperial and metric ton . I've struggled getting the rides in for the last couple of months due to work pressure and the weather

Top Bottom