The 2019 Half Century a month Challenge chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Domus

Guru
After almost two weeks I managed a 50 Kms ride today. Blooming hard graft. :wacko: Not sure what it was, the cold wind, the time off the bike or the winter bike but proper goosed when I got in.

Slick

Guru
Another 50k today on a loop that has become my go to Sunday spin as Mrs Slick loves it due to the almost zero interaction with cars.

On another note, how come you lube and wash your bike before storing it carefully and when you bring it back out, the indexing of your gears has all but gone and you can't get into the biggest or smallest gear on the rear. :wacko:

Last edited:

Domus

Guru
Blooming cold one today :cold:
New route from Edgworth past the Strawbury Duck to Green Arms Road, walked lots in the past but first time on the bike. Soon as I turned south on the A666 it was like hitting a brick wall, the cold wind was awful. :eek: Headwind all the way home from Adlington put my average speed down to 17 Kph it was like riding through treacle. Very tired now and the quads are screaming, still 63.9 Kms and another point in the bag. Total now at 91, can I reach 100?

November done.

By the tightest of margins!

Met up for a Wednesday night social with the self proclaimed Saga CC lot for a cheeky Wednesday evening spin round local Derbyshire lanes.
4 degrees was the highest it reached on a very chilly ride indeed, negotiating most of the villages that cross or run alongside the Trent.

Luckily the recent weather’s effects had subsided and we were able to stick to the planned route largely without incident except for a little detour to enable us to cross the M1 J24 and A50 near Kegworth.

This worked out nicely for me as by the time we got back to the start at Swarkestone I was on 29.1 miles. I knew that the loop was going to be short of the 31.1 miles I needed to get over the line but the detour at Kegworth meant the extra miles I needed had reduced, so I pressed on towards Barrow on Trent, turning round after a mile when the GPS unit reached 30.1 miles. The last mile got me over the line and I was able to breathe a sigh of relief with a well earned pint of Guinness at the local pub.

This is probably the only one I’ll get to do this month as I’ve hit a bit of a rough patch for outdoor cycling time due to work and other commitments.

Still, it’s job done.

31.14 in 1:50.

https://strava.app.link/5QCDwhwnM1

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru

Fiona R

Formerly known as Cranky Knee Girl
Update time 6 days to go but just half a weekend . We have just 24 riders fully posted up 1 rider has done a ride yet to up date thread ( yes @tallliman again ) ,So nudges for @ColinJ ,@Katherine ,@cosmicbike ,@Osprey ,@Rob and Alison ,@Saluki ,@iandg ,@Cranky Knee Girl ,@demro ,@Houthakker ,@lane ,@Nomadski and @Sbudge
Well done everyone who's upto date 1 month to go . I'm expected a flurry of finishers as on the 1st as it falls on a Sunday
:blink: well I got my 200Km done yesterday but I still need separate 50km and 100km for Nov, to be ethical across all challenges. I was on holiday 1-17th and only one ride on a hotel mtb with rusty chain, just 18km! It's all the husband's fault for banning bikes (pretty much) on this holiday!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Everything is running late this month... I got flattened by my 3rd heavy cold of 2019 so I have barely ridden my bikes for weeks. I am on the mend now so the '50' shouldn't be a problem, but I also have a metric century to do and like @Cranky Knee Girl, I prefer to keep my challenge rides separate. Heavy rain is forecast here on Monday and Tuesday so I will try a blast on the turbo to see how I am. All being well, do the '50' in the dry on Wednesday, and if that goes well do the metric century on Friday, with Saturday in reserve, just in case.

Houthakker

A Happy Wanderer
Got my qulifying ride in today. Ive only managed 3 rides in the last 3 months so just glad just to be still in the hunt. Things shoud improve from now on and should be able to get out most weekends.
Got to admit today was cold and wet and I was feeling the effects of so little cycling so if ithadnt been for the fact that it was my last chance would have cut it short today
Just one month to go - no way I'm not going to complete it now!

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
For once I haven't forgotten to post my ride (I'll do it in a minute), I've actually only done it today, and it was harder than it needed to be. I honestly have no idea how I was doing this, and the metric and the imperial century challenges last year.
First trip out for the knee warmers and long sleeves this year, and despite being overcast the whole ride I stayed dry from above, but wet from the roads, thanks goodness for the mudguards on the Yukon or it would have been a wet bum ride:laugh:
Only 1 to go:bicycle:

Fiona R

Formerly known as Cranky Knee Girl
Got my qulifying ride in today. Ive only managed 3 rides in the last 3 months so just glad just to be still in the hunt. Things shoud improve from now on and should be able to get out most weekends.
Got to admit today was cold and wet and I was feeling the effects of so little cycling so if ithadnt been for the fact that it was my last chance would have cut it short today
Just one month to go - no way I'm not going to complete it now!

Challenges work! Good tenacious hanging in there ^_^

"Why are you doing it?" people ask me.
"Because it's a self motivating challenge" I say.
"Are you doing it for sponsorship?" "Is it a race" "Do you get a medal/T shirt/prize?"
"No" I reply
"So why are you doing it then?"

and so on and so on and so on.

Does everyone else get this from none cycling acquaintances? :wacko::laugh:

Slick

Guru
Challenges work! Good tenacious hanging in there ^_^

"Why are you doing it?" people ask me.
"Because it's a self motivating challenge" I say.
"Are you doing it for sponsorship?" "Is it a race" "Do you get a medal/T shirt/prize?"
"No" I reply
"So why are you doing it then?"

and so on and so on and so on.

Does everyone else get this from none cycling acquaintances? :wacko::laugh:
Yeah all the time. My favourite was when one guy noted in sheer disbelief, you looked out your bedroom window and saw the wind and rain belting down and still cycled in. :laugh:

Top Bottom