The 2019 Half Century a month Challenge chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bruce1530

Guru
Well done @bruce1530 first postee for June halfway well done

It was a bit of a struggle - I’ve been “down with the Dreaded Lurgy”. Last weekend I wouldn’t have been able to make it to the end of the street, never mind 50k!

But I wanted to see whether I was on the road to recovery - I’ve got a 100 miler scheduled for next weekend, which is a few km further than my longest ride so far. This weekend I’d definitely have struggled over that distance. Hopefully next weekend will be a bit better.

Today’s trip was from home to Kilwinning, then north along the NCN route 7 for a bit. There’s a lumpy section between Kilwinning and Glengarnock, and half way along that section the route has been closed for about a year, due to the construction of a new bypass. The bypass opened this week, and I thought I’d see if the route has re-opened. It has - although some of the minor roads are now being re-aligned at the junction. But it’s definitely passable on a bike, avoiding a fairly long and poorly signed diversion route.

After that, continued on the next section of NCN to Lochwinnoch. A bit of respite after the lumpy bit - that section is an old railway line so dead flat. Not the most exciting views for the first few miles, as you’re in a railway cutting. It gets better later.

Stopped at Lochwinnoch, coffee, and headed back home by the same route. When I reached the new bypass, I followed the new road (A737 - wouldn’t want to do that when busy) and then cut onto some farm roads closer to home. Hadn’t been on those farm roads for ages - and they’re much steeper than I remembered. But the last section going home that way is a long downhill :-)

56k in total.

upload_2019-6-1_15-5-33.png

slow scot

Veteran
Scores at the end of May we have 39 riders fully posted up leaving 3 riders to post @tallliman ,@Lilliburlero and @slow scot . @tallliman and @Lilliburlero both have done rides I know off so still in so just @slow scot I not sure about .
Been out today with @Lilliburlero who is not sure he's going to continue with the challenge , but I've got a month to work on him :rolleyes:. I follow him on Strava and I suspect he will do a metric half anyway so I may keep him in unofficially :ph34r:
I'm in! Will post tomorrow; sorry to be always last.

aferris2

Guru
Lots of things needed to be done in the morning so I was very late getting out on the bike today. Was determined to do 50km but as I didn't plan a route, I just took things as they came. Ended up on 103km so that's another one for the Lunacy challenge too. Roads were very quiet and with bright sunshine and hardly any wind I had a really nice ride around Essex (and yes, Essex is great as long as you avoid the built-up areas).

The Bystander

Über Member
June's qualifying ride banked. It was a very similar route to my last ride but a very different ride in many respects.

Friday's ride was unintended. What I had intended was a utility ride to the supermarket but instead of turning right out of the village (heading into town) I turned left, the opening gambit to most of my recreational rides. Instead of correcting my error I did a quick review of my shopping requirements, determined nothing was urgent and decided to let my subconscious pilot have its way and it took me another 50km or so before I was home again feeling more pleased with myself that if I'd returned sooner with full panniers (the shops were still there the next day).

Today's ride was fully intended but with less enthusiasm. Looking at the weather forecast yesterday I'd pencilled in an early start to get the best of the weather. When I woke it was to a greyish dawn that was already looking a bit blustery. So I decided against a ride and settled for another cup of coffee. A bit later it was still looking blustery but I sort of self-shamed myself into getting out even if it was just a short ride. Once out I resigned myself to pushing on for a half century qualifier. I was right about it being blustery though, almost blustered to a standstill at one point. When I returned home this time it was with a feeling that I'd done a half century qualifier with the same mindset as a recalcitrant teenager who had just been made to clean their room.

God I hate you @13 rider and @ColinJ , there, I've done it, are you happy now !!? <<stabs aggressively at "reply to thread button" and slams thread shut>>

I should point out that was the voice of the recalcitrant teenager - I am in fact grateful for the challenge and that it usually encourages me in a more positive manner :okay:.

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
June's qualifying ride banked. It was a very similar route to my last ride but a very different ride in many respects.

Friday's ride was unintended. What I had intended was a utility ride to the supermarket but instead of turning right out of the village (heading into town) I turned left, the opening gambit to most of my recreational rides. Instead of correcting my error I did a quick review of my shopping requirements, determined nothing was urgent and decided to let my subconscious pilot have its way and it took me another 50km or so before I was home again feeling more pleased with myself that if I'd returned sooner with full panniers (the shops were still there the next day).

Today's ride was fully intended but with less enthusiasm. Looking at the weather forecast yesterday I'd pencilled in an early start to get the best of the weather. When I woke it was to a greyish dawn that was already looking a bit blustery. So I decided against a ride and settled for another cup of coffee. A bit later it was still looking blustery but I sort of self-shamed myself into getting out even if it was just a short ride. Once out I resigned myself to pushing on for a half century qualifier. I was right about it being blustery though, almost blustered to a standstill at one point. When I returned home this time it was with a feeling that I'd done a half century qualifier with the same mindset as a recalcitrant teenager who had just been made to clean their room.

God I hate you @13 rider and @ColinJ , there, I've done it, are you happy now !!? <<stabs aggressively at "reply to thread button" and slams thread shut>>

I should point out that was the voice of the recalcitrant teenager - I am in fact grateful for the challenge and that it usually encourages me in a more positive manner :okay:.
Your not the first person to curse me :hello:, I can take it :laugh:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Your not the first person to curse me :hello:, I can take it :laugh:
I can't ...:cry:

:laugh:

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
I'm off the mark for June . Normal pattern imperial ton first Sat ,50km as a recovery on the Sun . However this recovery ride was at 16.9 mph not much of a recovery . Big weekend ahead off too Wales for 3 days riding and doing numbers 99,98 and 97 on the top 100 climbs list :surrender:. That will be 4 ticked off 96 to go !!
Like that's happening :rofl:

Last edited:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
As it's the first weekend in June, it must be time to ride the ITU Leeds World Triathlon Series cycle route again. ^_^

It's become a tradition now that I ride the route the weekend before the actual event with a couple of lads who'll be doing it so it made a great opportunity to get the June ride in nice and early (especially as next weekend is definitely out).

Blooming hard work this time on a muggy hot day - I'm no triathlete (or indeed any sort of athlete), but I just about hold my own with these lads normally. Not this time though, my lack of riding time was sorely exposed today, but they got me round event though my legs weren't playing.

Anyhow, the route and the extended ride there and back gets me a metric half so all is well in the world. :okay:

Last edited:

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
That's Junes ride in the bag for me . 50.5 kms along the Glamorgan coast then back along the main road trying to outrun some big black clouds hot on my heels.
Forecasted heavy rain storm has yet to arrive .

Did the ride non stop which is unusual for me but I wanted to get home before the forecast storm also I am building up for a 100km Audax later in the year.I have had a few issues in the last couple of years which have stopped me riding longer distances . I used to do regular 200 and occasional 300 audax rides now a 100 will be a challenge. Things are on the up at the moment if I can get back to being able to ENJOY a 100km ride then that's great . if not the 50 km challenge is fun as well.

Good Luck to everyone on their June rides.:okay:

Domus

Guru
First June 50 in the bag. Rode to Costa in Leigh with John along the guided bus way and returned via Hindley and Westhoughton. Very different going the other way it was very pleasant. Got caught in a shower just before home but it didn't spoil a good ride.
Girding my loins for more than a shower on tomorrow's night ride to Blackpool. :rain:

Domus

Guru
It was not too bad, in between the showers it peed it down, all night and all morning, the gusting wind driving sand and rain on the prom after breakfast was a new one on me, each gap in the metre high sea wall sent the bike and rider sidewards at a most alarming rate. I don't think anyone had any dry kit after the fist hour or so, it was a good job the temperature stayed fairly high or else I for one would have had problems. The last section along the sea wall was too slow to generate any body heat at all and so it was a cold miserable train journey home that ensued. Apart from that it was in a way enjoyable. :cheers::cold::eek:

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
June's done, 168Km Blaby - Wigston - Newton Harcourt - Houghton on the Hill -Ingarsby -Tilton on the Hill - Loddington - Belton - Eyebrooke Reservoir - Stoke Dry - Lyddington - Seaton - Harringworth - Laxton- Blatherwycke - Bulwick - Southwick - Cotterstock - Fotheringhay - Nassington - Yarwell - Nassington - Apethorpe - Kings Cliffe - Blatherwycke - Laxton- Deene - Gretton - Lyddington - Stoke Dry -Great Easton -Medbourne - Nevil Holt - Welham- Great Bowden - Foxton - Gum;ey - Saddington - Fleckney - Arnesby -Peatling Magna - Countesthorpe - Blaby...phew - got rained on between Gumley and Fleckney….would have gone on to do 200K otherwise ahem...still first imperial century of 2019 and only my second since coming back from a broken hip in 2016 so quite happy!

Top Bottom